Where to start as a 16 year old?

jasonwj322a

I have always been interested in technology. Starting around this year I started to learn about how things work hardware wise. Now I want to start on the software side, where things starts to get complicated. I really really want a job in the field of technology so I figure this will help. I don't know where to start though. I don't really know what exactly I want to be when I get older. So giving me some insight on types of jobs there are would be great! My dream is to work at either Microsoft, FBI, CIA, or similar things to them. I had done some research and conputer science is usually necessary but for what exactly? 

People around me aren't really tech savvy so you guys are really my go to for these kinds of advice. I really do appreciate all the help. 

Have you tried programming ? 

I started to learn C when i was about 14 and didn't know what i wanted to do and found it very useful when I later started learning it in school and already knew a lot about it.

If you want to work for the FBI and CIA, you should look into cryptography and information assurance (and general computer security). For Microsoft, it would depend. You'll probably want to dive into systems programming a bit since that's usually their bread and butter. That would entail learning about what an OS is and a general understanding of how they do things.

But I would also just get into technology in general. Cast a wide net to see what really interests you.

8 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

I have always been interested in technology. Starting around this year I started to learn about how things work hardware wise. Now I want to start on the software side, where things starts to get complicated. I really really want a job in the field of technology so I figure this will help. I don't know where to start though. I don't really know what exactly I want to be when I grow up. So giving me some insight on types of jobs there are would be great! My dream is to work at either Microsoft, FBI, CIA, or similar things to them. I had done some research and conputer science is usually necessary but for what exactly? 

People around me aren't really tech savvy so you guys are really my go to for these kinds of advice. I really do appreciate all the help. 

What do you want to do later exactly? Write code for an application OR run server systems OR perhaps even academic studies (studying various graphs and algorithms and try to find better way to handle problems) ?

If you want to code: Try Java or Python. Python will be easy to start with, and Java will teach you about Object Oriented Programming.

If you want to do server stuff: You'll want to master Linux / BSD and the shell. This will get you more in depth with various subsystems in your pc. It should also transfer nicely into networking.

Academic studies: Look at various problems and try to find solutions for them. Eg: Travelling Salesman Problem is a known one. (Impossible to solve without trying every combination), Fibonacci (You can do it with recursion just like it is originally defined, or you can avoid having to calculate numbers 50 times over). This is perhaps best combined with a comprehension/study of Java. 

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

1 hour ago, jasonwj322a said:

I don't really know what exactly I want to be when I grow up.

At 16 you should already be all growed up...

1 hour ago, Kosios said:

Go to college and get  BS is computer science.  Then get certs.

1 hour ago, Kosios said:

Doesn't matter which college.

You could have eddied your first post you know, instead of farming your post count that is.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

My dream is to work at either Microsoft, FBI, CIA, or similar things to them. I had done some research and conputer science is usually necessary but for what exactly? 

Well, it seems like the thing that attracts you is difficulty, secrecy, and security. There are many computer-related tech jobs that fit these requirements, some that you may have never thought of, such as "avionics software developer" or "flight control systems software engineer". Those two jobs involve writing software that controls flight vehicles, like airplanes or rockets.

In either case, if you want to be a programmer for anyone, the best place to start would be to learn to program. Check out this post I've already written about where to start:

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you want to work for the FBI and CIA, you should look into cryptography and information assurance (and general computer security). For Microsoft, it would depend. You'll probably want to dive into systems programming a bit since that's usually their bread and butter. That would entail learning about what an OS is and a general understanding of how they do things.

But I would also just get into technology in general. Cast a wide net to see what really interests you.

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

Well, it seems like the thing that attracts you is difficulty, secrecy, and security. There are many computer-related tech jobs that fit these requirements, some that you may have never thought of, such as "avionics software developer" or "flight control systems software engineer". Those two jobs involve writing software that controls flight vehicles, like airplanes or rockets.

In either case, if you want to be a programmer for anyone, the best place to start would be to learn to program. Check out this post I've already written about where to start:

Would computer science cover all these things? One of the biggest problem I am facing is with all these different fields of computers/programming. 

23 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

Would computer science cover all these things? One of the biggest problem I am facing is with all these different fields of computers/programming. 

Computer science would cover a lot of what I pointed out, but keep in mind the field originally is for the study of algorithms and such. So be prepared to do a lot of math.

It depends. Do you want to do computers for the sake of computers or do you want to do stuff like machine control? If you want to work as a cybersecurity professional or be a web developer then CS is the way to go. If you want to write software to control machines then you have other options. You can do CS, or you can do what I'm doing, and major in engineering and minor in CS. At 16 years old, you don't have to select exactly what you want to do. Instead, select a broad subject, like STEM, animal sciences, human sciences, humanities, art... and then as you go further along and do more and more research you'll start to naturally narrow down what your goals are.

Regardless, it will never hurt you to learn programming, it's applicable in nearly every aspect of modern societies. I would recommend that you shoot for a STEM education while teaching yourself programming.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

My dream is to work at either Microsoft, FBI, CIA, or similar things to them.

Take a look at their history before applying, there are organizations I'd never work for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Bureau_of_Investigation#Controversies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Intelligence_Agency#Controversies

try some things, so you will know if you like things and you will more likely end up studying things you actually enjoy.

for programming, roll a dice to pick a language, make your first "hello, world!" and see if it feels good.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Computer science would cover a lot of what I pointed out, but keep in mind the field originally is for the study of algorithms and such. So be prepared to do a lot of math.

I just finished a computer science degree there wasn't that much maths. Such I was calculating average wait time for difference cpu schedules.

I am rubbish at maths but not that bad of a programmer.

@jasonwj322a as people have pointed out you seem to like the security side from your op. Get yourself a degree, learn to code, how to break your code, how to use the break to get more access, hack a major system spend ~10 years in prison and walk out with 6 figure job.

last part isn't recommend :)

You can learn a lot from the internet but people don't care unless you have experience or have a piece of paper that shows you spend 3 years eating pot noodles and energy drives and turning that into semi coherent course work n

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Have a look at Data Structures and Algorithms. I'd say that's a good starting point in learning.

I wish I found out about sites like Code School when I was still in high school or college. They provide an amazing learning environment for beginners and even for experienced software developers such as myself.

Good luck!

Start with C++ you get C for free (with a few adjustments in mentality and practices).

On 2016-12-29 at 7:02 PM, vorticalbox said:

I just finished a computer science degree there wasn't that much maths. Such I was calculating average wait time for difference cpu schedules.

Really depends what university you're studying at. At my university, all CS students are required to take Algebra I, Linear Algebra, Calculus I, Calculus II, Intro to Combinatorics, Statistics, and Probability. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

If you want to start out with some webdesign i would recommend codeacademy.com. 

Thats where i got started, i now own my own web design company :)