Anyone know how to change PSU fan?

genexis_x
Go to solution Solved by Energycore,
On 12/29/2016 at 0:08 AM, ZM Fong said:

As the title says.

Well as people have already said you should be very careful with the capacitors inside a PSU. When I open a PSU to clean the dust off, I use a brush with a plastic handle to take the dust off along with compressed air; I generally avoid touching the capacitors or any component in there really.

As for switching a fan, it's not a terribly hard job, but you might have to whip out a soldering iron. It will void your warranty, 100% guaranteed.

Open up the PSU and see where the fan is connected. It may be soldered to the main PCB, have a small connector like the ones on your usual graphics card, or a big one like the ones on your motherboard. On this third case, you have nothing to do except plug the new fan in there, hide the cables and rescrew everything.

It's the other two cases that need soldering. The one with the small connector, cut the connector off the old fan, the connector off the new fan, and solder the new fan to the small connector. If the cables are stuck to the pcb, solder the fan onto those cables. Don't try to solder into the PCB if you don't have the right equipment!

Most of the time it's a pretty simple process if you already know how to solder. Isolate the cables with something like heatshrink and you're good to go.

As the title says.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Why? What's wrong with it? 

16 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Why? What's wrong with it? 

It is a sleeve bearing fan which has a shorter lifespan

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Yes I know how to change a PSU fan. That is a mains powered appliance and in many countries you are required to undertake proper training and hold a license to practice electrical work. It is a very simple job but the fact you are asking means I think youre going to stuff up somehow and do something dangerous

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

The capacitors inside the PSU can hold a charge that an electrocute you even when it's unplugged.  Generally you ground the PSU to drain the charge before tinkering with it.  If unsure don't attempt it for your own safety.  75USD on a new PSU is better than getting physically hurt.

10 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

It is a sleeve bearing fan which has a shorter lifespan

What PSU is it? Changing the fan in a shitty unit with a sleeve-bearing fan (as opposed to a decent PSU with a sleeve-bearing fan like a Corsair CXM) isn't really worthwhile and you have to solder as the fan connections in PSUs are usually two-pin connections that don't work with the 3 or 4-pin connections on a normal fan.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

15 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What PSU is it? Changing the fan in a shitty unit with a sleeve-bearing fan (as opposed to a decent PSU with a sleeve-bearing fan like a Corsair CXM) isn't really worthwhile and you have to solder as the fan connections in PSUs are usually two-pin connections that don't work with the 3 or 4-pin connections on a normal fan.

It is the Corsair CXM (grey). You guess it right.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

It is the Corsair CXM (grey). You guess it right.

Hmm, well I guess you can try doing it but you'll void your warranty. I think @Energycorecan help you lots with this topic.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 12/29/2016 at 0:08 AM, ZM Fong said:

As the title says.

Well as people have already said you should be very careful with the capacitors inside a PSU. When I open a PSU to clean the dust off, I use a brush with a plastic handle to take the dust off along with compressed air; I generally avoid touching the capacitors or any component in there really.

As for switching a fan, it's not a terribly hard job, but you might have to whip out a soldering iron. It will void your warranty, 100% guaranteed.

Open up the PSU and see where the fan is connected. It may be soldered to the main PCB, have a small connector like the ones on your usual graphics card, or a big one like the ones on your motherboard. On this third case, you have nothing to do except plug the new fan in there, hide the cables and rescrew everything.

It's the other two cases that need soldering. The one with the small connector, cut the connector off the old fan, the connector off the new fan, and solder the new fan to the small connector. If the cables are stuck to the pcb, solder the fan onto those cables. Don't try to solder into the PCB if you don't have the right equipment!

Most of the time it's a pretty simple process if you already know how to solder. Isolate the cables with something like heatshrink and you're good to go.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR