What to get with ~$1000?

I have been saving for a bit but now that I have the money I'm not sure what I actually want to upgrade. I thought about upgrading my rig but these are my specs:

• i5-4690K (Definitely not upgrading until Kabylake at least if not Skylake-E)
  • Asus GTX 1070 Strix (I love running older games without the fans even spinning)
  • 16 GBs of decently fast DDR3 (I already have 32 GBs of DDR4 that I have in a different rig that I will use when I finally upgrade my CPU and Mobo)
  • 256 GB Samsung 950 Pro, 500 GB SATA SSD, 4TB Seagate Hybrid drive

So really my rig doesn't need any upgrades. My peripheral might need a little tuning. I have a nice Cherry MX Brown board but my mouse is a little glitchy. It's a Mionix Maos 7000 (or something like that). It's good but it feels like every once in a while it misses. My monitor is what I'm really looking at upgrading. It's a 1440p 60Hz monitor by Acer (not sure what kind of panel, it's not good). It does it's job but I have definitely noticed screen tearing and it's colors a little inaccurate. I'd love a G-sync monitor with good color accuracy for photo/video work. The problem with buying a monitor right now that I see is that OLED & HDR monitors are just around the corner and that is going to be amazing! So even if I got one of those amazing 21:9, curved, IPS, G-sync displays that cost like $1000 it would be money ill-spent. 

The thing I originally was saving up for was a VR headset. That dream has died a little bit but I recently demoed a VR headset again and I loved it. I have demoed them before and each time I love it. I really want to play stuff like Serious Sam VR, Eve: Gunship, Eve: Valkyrie, and plenty more. 

So to narrow it down, which of these should I do/get?:

1. Buy an HTC Vive
  2. Buy an Oculus Rift
  3. Buy an uber expensive monitor
  4. Buy a decent monitor and upgrade a few things like my mouse and CPU cooler
  5. Build a Backup NAS because I currently have little to no way to backup my computer
  6. Buy a nicer camera
  7. upgrade my console collection (I may be a PC gamer but consoles are fun and have awesome exclusives)
  8. Basically there is nothing worth buying right now so I shouldn't do anything with it and just wait.

The Htc vive has been pretty good so far. If you have the money get that. This is just my personal preference. Thanks for giving me the chance to give my own opinion :).

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

Don't spend it because you can? I'm serious, put it in bank and wait with purchases until it's really time to upgrade. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

12 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

1. Buy an HTC Vive YES I HAVE ONE AND LOVE IT FOR HORROR GAMES
  2. Buy an Oculus Rift MAYBE @Sakkura HAS ONE AND CAN GIVE SOME PROS AND CONS
  3. Buy an uber expensive monitor NO
  4. Buy a decent monitor and upgrade a few things like my mouse and CPU cooler YES. G502 AND DARK ROCK OR PURE ROCK
  5. Build a Backup NAS because I currently have little to no way to backup my computer JUST BUY A NEW EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
  6. Buy a nicer camera MAYBE?
  7. upgrade my console collection (I may be a PC gamer but consoles are fun and have awesome exclusives) CONSOLES!? /S
  8. Basically there is nothing worth buying right now so I shouldn't do anything with it and just wait. INVESTMENTS?! TO THE EXTREME!!! [just picture an accountant with a calculator]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

32 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

So to narrow it down, which of these should I do/get?:

1. Buy an HTC Vive
  2. Buy an Oculus Rift
  3. Buy an uber expensive monitor
  4. Buy a decent monitor and upgrade a few things like my mouse and CPU cooler
  5. Build a Backup NAS because I currently have little to no way to backup my computer
  6. Buy a nicer camera
  7. upgrade my console collection (I may be a PC gamer but consoles are fun and have awesome exclusives)
  8. Basically there is nothing worth buying right now so I shouldn't do anything with it and just wait.

If you want to do #7 do it by Saturday, as the PS4 Slim + Uncharted 4 goes back up to $300 on Christmas Day (right now it's $250). Unless you'd be looking at PS4 Pro, in which case no rush since there aren't any good sales on them. They're just $400 everywhere. Or unless you're talking about the Nintendo Switch coming out in March (surely you're not talking about the XBone since all its exclusives come to PC). I would definitely not do #4 under any circumstance right now, as those HDR monitors you're talking about will be announced at CES in two weeks. I'd personally stay away from VR for a couple of years. I don't buy the talk that it'll be a fad and I fully believe this will be a whole new awesome frontier in gaming, but I wouldn't want to pay through the nose to be an early adopter.

1 minute ago, Kamikaze+ said:

sex doll

I think my girlfriend would have qualms with that.

1 minute ago, Johnmakuta said:

I think my girlfriend would have qualms with that.

A sex toy you can use with her?

I would save it for something else if you don't feel like you really need something more. Your gaming setup is already pretty good. Maybe invest it in stock and you can learn the stock game while you're at it. Maybe use it to give someone a big huge gift.

How about a musical instrument?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

A sex toy you can use with her?

I guess this is tech related...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I guess this is tech related...

Don't make me whip the "well actually every item made by man is a piece of technology" argument on you xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you want to do #7 do it by Saturday, as the PS4 Slim + Uncharted 4 goes back up to $300 on Christmas Day (right now it's $250). Unless you'd be looking at PS4 Pro, in which case no rush since there aren't any good sales on them. They're just $400 everywhere. Or unless you're talking about the Nintendo Switch coming out in March (surely you're not talking about the XBone since all its exclusives come to PC). I would definitely not do #4 under any circumstance right now, as those HDR monitors you're talking about will be announced at CES in two weeks. I'd personally stay away from VR for a couple of years. I don't buy the talk that it'll be a fad and I fully believe this will be a whole new awesome frontier in gaming, but I wouldn't want to pay through the nose to be an early adopter.

The only reason I have even barely thought about getting an Xbone until Scorpio is because my GF plays on Xbone and I'd like to game with her. The other reasons would be Halo (but I can wait on that considering the only one I'm missing is Halo 5), 4K Bluray/Streaming would be great considering I have a 4K TV, and basically I would use it for the HDMI so I could stream my Xbox 360 or PS3 when I'm away from home. I already have a PS4 so I have no real reason to upgrade any of that. I have thought about the Switch because I want to play the new Zelda game as well a few Wii U games if they port them.

I have a similar feeling about VR though I have really enjoyed the experiences I have had with demoing it. My first thought was jump to something like PSVR because it's cheaper but from testing both out it just seems so behind.

35 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Thanks for thoughts. I contacted the guy you linked about the Oculus. The only problem have with the Vive is the fact it doesn't have the Oculus exclusives which are pretty freakin awesome. I love the idea of room scale and I have the space for it. 

19 minutes ago, Kamikaze+ said:

buy your girlfriend a pc so you both can bond through fun games :)

I would and I already have the parts but sadly she's a console girl for the most part. She loves herself a controller. Though I have converted her to PC when it comes to a few games (Doom 2016 and Skyrim).

46 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Don't spend it because you can? I'm serious, put it in bank and wait with purchases until it's really time to upgrade. 

This is an upgrade. I saved this money for a VR headset but now that I have it I am debating whether that is really what I should put it towards.

BUY ALL THE MAC DONGLES APPLE HAD COME OUT THIS YEAR COS YOU CAN.HAA0Y7WS.jpg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.