Internet connection drops every few minutes or seconds

Hi,

Over the past few hours, my internet connection has been unstable.

It drops every few minutes or seconds. Sometimes I'm able to use the browser (like now), but cannot log into Battle.net and such. 

Here's what I've tired:

Set DNS to Google's. Flushed and registered DNS. Powered the router off and back on. Connected the main router directly to my PC (instead of to the router that acts as an access point for WiFi).

Finally, I saved this file from Wireshark that shows whatever is going on with my internet in 3 minutes or so where it mostly was disconnected. 

I hope you can help me learn something from it. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks.

wireshark.pcapng

Does the internet work on other devices?

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

2 minutes ago, Jasun said:

Does the internet work on other devices?

No, it works on none of the devices we have, including wifi.

Just now, YonathanZ said:

No, it works on none of the devices we have, including wifi.

:/ Sounds like an ISP problem. Give them a call and see what's up.

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

3 hours ago, YonathanZ said:

Hi,

Over the past few hours, my internet connection has been unstable.

It drops every few minutes or seconds. Sometimes I'm able to use the browser (like now), but cannot log into Battle.net and such. 

What is the make and model of your modem? Also, if your ISP provided a modem/router combo for you, it's a piece of poo. You can resolve most connection problems by having your ISP provided modem/router combo bridged so you can use your own router. Even a low-end $60 D-Link would be better than the ISP provided modem/router combo, although I recommend buying a better router to suit your needs.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

50 minutes ago, kirashi said:

What is the make and model of your modem? Also, if your ISP provided a modem for you, it's a piece of poo.

You can resolve most connection problems by having your ISP provided modem put into bridge mode and using your own router.

Even a low-end $60 D-Link would be better than the ISP provided modem, although I recommend buying a better router to suit your needs.

Modems and routers are not the same thing. Modems provided by the ISP are generally fine for the connection you are getting. When they provide a router, or a router-modem combination unit, however, those are usually pieces of poo.

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

20 minutes ago, nsinnott said:

Modems and routers are not the same thing. Modems provided by the ISP are generally fine for the connection you are getting. When they provide a router, or a router-modem combination unit, however, those are usually pieces of poo.

Edited my above post for clarity; you're spot on, a modem is a modem is a modem is a modem, and usually they're pretty rock solid on their own. It's the combo units that are abominable.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Edited my above post for clarity; you're spot on, a modem is a modem is a modem is a modem, and usually they're pretty rock solid on their own. It's the combo units that are abominable.

Fantastic! Although based on his post, he seems to be using 2 routers, one of which may be the router/modem combo, or just a non-wireless router. One is for routing, and the other is used as an access point. I will agree that more clarification is required in this situation though

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)