Received package I never ordered but with my name on it

AngryFishLady
Go to solution Solved by AngryFishLady,

I've contacted the distributor and indeed it was a mixup with a previous order I made with them. They will get the package back and send me an expensive bottle of wine as a thank you.

26 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

See, even though you dont get to keep the hardware, you still come out on top for being honest, and having a good sense of morals

Yeah, honesty is a value I hold dear. I wouldn't have kept the stuff without trying to give it back first.

2 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Your best bet, ethically and likely legally, would be to contact the distributor and ask about the shipment. 

no, it has his name on it; dunno the laws in France but it's his - he did not stole it, he did not impersonate anyone

6 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

Going to tell us what got sent to you?

25 1To Seagate hard drives.

42 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

25 1To Seagate hard drives.

What a random thing...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

2 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

What a random thing...

They are a distributor so I guess they often have bulk orders for stores.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

no, it has his name on it; dunno the laws in France but it's his - he did not stole it, he did not impersonate anyone

You don't know what ethics are?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

The simplest way to look at it is that a delivery like this only moved the items. It does not by itself transfer legal ownership.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

"a expensive bottle of wine"

sell that to a first class airline like Emirates and they will give you much more money tbh

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

6 minutes ago, porina said:

The simplest way to look at it is that a delivery like this only moved the items. It does not by itself transfer legal ownership.

they are "unsolicited goods" and it's within his rights to keep them - you have no obligation to send them back or pay for them

and it's illegal for the company that sent them to ask for money (depending on the legislation)

if the sender wants the goods back, they could sue in civil court

36 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

They are a distributor so I guess they often have bulk orders for stores.

The DGSE sent you those, don't open then otherwise they'll kill you for treason. Just saying. It arrived at work or at your home? Could be someone at work ordering those for work and put it at your name because they knew you would be there to receive those while they couldn't since in holidays?

12 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

The DGSE sent you those, don't open then otherwise they'll kill you for treason. Just saying. It arrived at work or at your home? Could be someone at work ordering those for work and put it at your name because they knew you would be there to receive those while they couldn't since in holidays?

They are factory sealed so I don't think the DGSE touched them. They arrived at work. I contacted the distributor and he told me that they mixed up an order, not someone at work ordered them expecting me to receive them for him. I ask coworkers to know if they did the order but nobody did.

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

they are "unsolicited goods" and it's within his rights to keep them - you have no obligation to send them back or pay for them

and it's illegal for the company that sent them to ask for money (depending on the legislation)

I had mentioned that scenario in my original reply. In general, it only applies to prevent companies sending you something without you asking and in effect making you buy it. Only if it fits that situation the law (at least in UK) it turns that item into a gift. In the case here, there was no attempt at requesting any form of payment.

So to repeat what I said earlier, shipping in itself doesn't transfer ownership. If the above regulation was applicable, that would be a cause. More normally, when you buy something, you agreed to a transfer. If sending a gift, it would normally be obvious that was the intent.

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if the sender wants the goods back, they could sue in civil court

A dangerous option unless you are 100% sure of your position, depending on individual countries laws. In the UK, loser generally has to pay reasonable costs of the other side.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

They are factory sealed so I don't think the DGSE touched them. They arrived at work. I contacted the distributor and he told me that they mixed up an order, not someone at work ordered them expecting me to receive them for him. I ask coworkers to know if they did the order but nobody did.

That's what they want you to think ;)

Well they fucked up, so they'll send the drives to the the right customer at their expense. You should keep those, since the more costly errors like this they make, the more they'll improve!

Who was the distributor ? 

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

That's what they want you to think ;)

Well they fucked up, so they'll send the drives to the the right customer at their expense. You should keep those, since the more costly errors like this they make, the more they'll improve!

Who was the distributor ? 

Seems like a small french company. I don't to be a jerk and cost them some money because of their mistake.

53 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

You should keep those, since the more costly errors like this they make, the more they'll improve!

Another way to look at it is if the OP returns them it will be less expense on the distributor which only helps to keep overall costs down.  That's even better for consumers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

1 hour ago, mmaatt747 said:

Another way to look at it is if the OP returns them it will be less expense on the distributor which only helps to keep overall costs down.  That's even better for consumers.

It never helps forgiving mistakes from big companies I think, because they can live with those errors and the extra cost it can produce only if the customers don't make it costly enough for them.

But since it's a small company, it's better to return it, and as the OP said, the company is sending him a bottle of wine since they are grateful, and it shows they won't make that mistake again :)