Received package I never ordered but with my name on it

AngryFishLady
Go to solution Solved by AngryFishLady,

I've contacted the distributor and indeed it was a mixup with a previous order I made with them. They will get the package back and send me an expensive bottle of wine as a thank you.

Hello everyone,

This morning I received a package containing about 1300 euros of hardware that I never ordered but the package had a sticker with my name on it. I've checked with my bank and all websites that I could have had an order on but no info regarding the package. I was expected to receive two packages from amazon but for something else. There's no indication of third party supplier on the package, only the distributor. There's no invoice/receit in the package also. I live in France. What should I do with it ?

2 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

Hello everyone,

This morning I received a package containing about 1300 euros of hardware that I never ordered but the package had a sticker with my name on it. I've checked with my bank and all websites that I could have had an order on but no info regarding the package. I was expected to receive two packages from amazon but for something else. There's no indication of third party supplier on the package, only the distributor. There's no invoice/receit in the package also. I live in France. What should I do with it ?

Definitely contact the Distributor and ask them whats up with this hardware that you never ordered?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Show us the hardware :D

In all seriousness I would contact whatever company delivered it, it would really suck to spend 1300 euros and not get any packages... 

CPU Intel i5 4690k Mobo Gigabyte B85M-D3H GPU Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury RAM 16.0GB @1600Mhz HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 

SSD Samsung EVO 250GB PSU Corsair CS750M  Case Corsair 350D Cooling Corsair H80i Monitor 2x AOC 2769M IPS Os Win 10 Home   

Just now, Simurgh said:

Show us the hardware :D

In all seriousness I would contact whatever company delivered it, it would really suck to spend 1300 euros and not get any packages... 

That's the weird thing : On the package, it says I'm the recipient of the order.

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

maybe someone sent you an expensive xmas present?

Due to the nature of the package (two dozens of the same item), I don't think it was deliberate.

7 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

That's the weird thing : On the package, it says I'm the recipient of the order.

Maybe it's a person with the same name? Idk I just can't think of a reason why it would come to you.

CPU Intel i5 4690k Mobo Gigabyte B85M-D3H GPU Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury RAM 16.0GB @1600Mhz HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 

SSD Samsung EVO 250GB PSU Corsair CS750M  Case Corsair 350D Cooling Corsair H80i Monitor 2x AOC 2769M IPS Os Win 10 Home   

2 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

Due to the nature of the package (two dozens of the same item), I don't think it was deliberate.

yea thats a distributor screw up

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, Simurgh said:

Maybe it's a person with the same name? Idk I just can't think of a reason why it would come to you.

It's my name, and my work adress. I suppose you could mix up people by looking on a phonebook-style adressbook, but it would have ended up at my home. AFAIK the only place I use this adress on is Amazon. Maybe they screwed up, but I don't see trace of amazon on the package.

1 minute ago, AngryFishLady said:

It's my name, and my work adress. I suppose you could mix up people by looking on a phonebook-style adressbook, but it would have ended up at my home. AFAIK the only place I use this adress on is Amazon. Maybe they screwed up, but I don't see trace of amazon on the package.

Maybe someone at work has a crush and maybe a little bit of expendable currency?  :x

1 minute ago, Simurgh said:

Maybe someone at work has a crush and maybe a little bit of expendable currency?  :x

Eh, I'd love the idea, but random cash on my desk would have been more convenient.

1 minute ago, AngryFishLady said:

Eh, I'd love the idea, but random cash on my desk would have been more convenient.

Your best bet, ethically and likely legally, would be to contact the distributor and ask about the shipment. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

16 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

secret santa.

question:

are you female?

if yes.

have you posted a pic of yourself on the internet?

if yes

have you flirted with anyone on the internet?

if yes

it all makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

secret santa.

question:

are you female?

if yes.

have you posted a pic of yourself on the internet?

if yes

have you flirted with anyone on the internet?

if yes

it all makes sense.

1) I'm a fish.

2) No

3) No

4) No, and never gave out my adress to individuals.

Assuming there must be a tracking number or similar on the box, using that could give a clue.

Not sure on law in France but assuming it isn't that different from UK (for now)... there is a requirement that companies are not allowed to send you goods without consent then make you pay for it. In that case, you can keep it without payment. However that doesn't cover genuine mistakes which this sounds like, assuming the two dozen items are not something normally obtained in that quantity by an individual. Certainly make a little effort to work out where it came from, but it would ultimately be their responsibility to sort it out and the items should be kept reasonably safe until then.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Assuming there must be a tracking number or similar on the box, using that could give a clue.

Not sure on law in France but assuming it isn't that different from UK (for now)... there is a requirement that companies are not allowed to send you goods without consent then make you pay for it. In that case, you can keep it without payment. However that doesn't cover genuine mistakes which this sounds like, assuming the two dozen items are not something normally obtained in that quantity by an individual. Certainly make a little effort to work out where it came from, but it would ultimately be their responsibility to sort it out and the items should be kept reasonably safe until then.

Yeah, I read about it online, the can't make me pay for it or the fees to send it back. I've checked the box, there is several numbers but didn't find any use for them on postal services websites (LaPoste's website, UPS's website). I'll keep it safe and untouched (products are factory sealed) until I know what I must do.

6 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

1) I'm a fish.

2) No

3) No

4) No, and never gave out my adress to individuals.

It's not hard to find where someone lives nowadays. :P At all.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

If you're from the US, you're not obligated to return anything you receive in the mail -- a lot of places (too lazy to look into specifics) don't make you pay to send it back, and I don't think anyone really can if the sender isn't marked. Depends on how you view morals and whatnot, really. I'd contact the sender if there's one on the box. If there isn't one... all yours, I guess.

i'd at least figure out the details just for the sake of knowing what the hell happened.

just send the distributor a brief email with what happened, asking if they have any details on who ordered it, and/or if it was a potential screwup somewhere.

Sounds a lot like this:

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

29 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

I've contacted the distributor and indeed it was a mixup with a previous order I made with them. They will get the package back and send me an expensive bottle of wine as a thank you.

See, even though you dont get to keep the hardware, you still come out on top for being honest, and having a good sense of morals

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig