Magic the gathering players PLEASE READ!

Drkrinklez

SO my mom told me what I got for Christmas. MTG intro packs. While I was happy that they got me something that I'm into (MTG), I was also a bit disappointed that they got me intro decks from target. I told them what store to go to, and what I want. I dont know what set they are from, but Im pretty sure they are the new plainswalker decks, and shadows over inastrad, and eldritch moon intro packs, Along with some sort of deck builders toolkit, probably the kaladesh one. How do I tell them that I already have these cards, as I own all of them already, dont ask why. Also, I've told them that I dont need any thing that says the word "Deck" On it, as I already got decks that I play, and they are made by me. So what do I do? What do I say? Has this ever happened to any of you? I would love to hear stories! :)

Well I've never been gifted cards, made my collection the hard way (then sold most of it xD)

Um, well you could go by yourself to said stores and return them. I feel like it's a dick move to go to your loved ones and tell them you don't want the gift they gave you and instead want something else.

You could also gift these intro packs to a couple friends as a starter drug deck :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Well I've never been gifted cards, made my collection the hard way (then sold most of it xD)

Um, well you could go by yourself to said stores and return them. I feel like it's a dick move to go to your loved ones and tell them you don't want the gift they gave you and instead want something else.

You could also gift these intro packs to a couple friends as a starter drug deck :D

giving my gift from my parents to my friends? That sounds like a dick move lol

Just now, Drkrinklez said:

giving my gift from my parents to my friends? That sounds like a dick move lol

I personally think it's worse to go to them and say no I don't want this than to gift it again, but it's a tricky situation nonetheless.

You could also go be completely honest: hey dads, thank you for giving me this but as you can see I already have an exact copy of the thing.

(And I've learnt with time that requesting a very specific thing for christmas just doesn't work)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I personally think it's worse to go to them and say no I don't want this than to gift it again, but it's a tricky situation nonetheless.

You could also go be completely honest: hey dads, thank you for giving me this but as you can see I already have an exact copy of the thing.

(And I've learnt with time that requesting a very specific thing for christmas just doesn't work)

would it be bad to return them?

Just now, Drkrinklez said:

would it be bad to return them?

Not if your dads didn't find out :ph34r:

Or if you talked to them and they were comprehensive

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Not if your dads didn't find out :ph34r:

Or if you talked to them and they were comprehensive

off topic, why are you saying dads? lol

1 minute ago, Drkrinklez said:

off topic, why are you saying dads? lol

Oh lol

It sounds funny

I may or may not be affected by the uh, christmas mood

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Reminds me that I should sell my liliana before it drops under 80 bucks

lol, send it to me!!!!

10 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Reminds me that I should sell my liliana before it drops under 80 bucks

Yep, reminds me I still need to do another thinning out of my rares.  Last time I made a good 300 bucks off a dude since he wanted my rare collection that bad.  Of course, no way in hell was he getting my dragon collection and specific rares that I like a lot.

Pretty much come straight out and say you already have those cards.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Ah magic.  Brings back the memories.  I wonder how much my unlimited Black Lotus is worth.  I paid 405 dollars for it in 2003.

47 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, reminds me I still need to do another thinning out of my rares.  Last time I made a good 300 bucks off a dude since he wanted my rare collection that bad.  Of course, no way in hell was he getting my dragon collection and specific rares that I like a lot.

I just got into the game personally, and one of my friends who's been a long time player was telling me that he had a friend who knew card values by heart, so he'd go to several stores that had a discount bin full of cards and sniff out all the more expensive cards to sell. He ended up making enough money to buy his first car lol. 

As someone new to MTG it's crazy to me how everyone can have so much invested in playing cards.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

5 minutes ago, Suika said:

As someone new to MTG it's crazy to me how everyone can have so much invested in playing cards.

Funny enough despite only having only 30ish bucks into the game I have hundreds of dollars worth of cards however I used various methods to obtain said cards such as trading up and making bets with people, for instance  I got a bunch of rares from a friend because I bet I could beat one of his decks with a pauper deck, he gave me cards to use for a deck and he later told me I could keep them since he didn't have a use for them. 

But I find the best way to play magic now is with programs like Xmage, granted not all the cards are programmed in yet but most are and its a free alternative.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

40 minutes ago, Suika said:

I just got into the game personally, and one of my friends who's been a long time player was telling me that he had a friend who knew card values by heart, so he'd go to several stores that had a discount bin full of cards and sniff out all the more expensive cards to sell. He ended up making enough money to buy his first car lol. 

Well, I never played the game.  I have a habit of collecting cards.  Still have Pokemon cards from the first release, Digimon cards, Yu-Gi-Oh cards like the first release Blue Eyes White Dragon and Red Eyes Black Dragon, and a whole bunch of dragons from MTG.  I mainly collect the dragons, but a few others if I like the art work.  They are great reference art when I draw or give ideas for a drawing or style to aim at.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

But I find the best way to play magic now is with programs like Xmage, granted not all the cards are programmed in yet but most are and its a free alternative.

I've been using Cockatrice with friends and that seems to be great so far, haven't found a card I couldn't find in Cockatrice. I've been using it to play with friends when we can't get together and it's pretty great, but it really doesn't hold your hand. 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.