Unriad-Dell server -1070- VIVE VM Good idea?

Just looking for some idiot checking before embarking on the idea as it aint cheap

I have a Dell server with x58 chipset (16xpcie 2) dual 3Ghz 550 Xennons, 24Gb of ram on SSD cache running unraid 

looking to VM a mchine for HTC VIVE so would need to passthrough a 1070 ?

also need to power the 1070 so sepparate 500W PSU should do it?

windows os ? could i use steam os?

Do you think this would work before i drop £1250 k on it??!?

Shopping Basket

Price
Quantity

£804.72

1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10+ 1

EVGA 600 W 80+ PC Power Supply Unit - White

£45.87

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 AERO 8G 1920 Cuda Core PCIE 3.0 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Graphics Card - Black

£389.99

Powered Flexible PCI-E 16x to 16x Riser Cable

£9.90

PCI-E PCI Express 16X Riser Card Extender Flex Flexible Extension Cable for 1U 2U Small Case

£9.38

Subtotal (5 items): £1,259.86

VR being so extremely sensitive to frame times I would say a VM is a very bad idea, VM for standard gaming is sub-optimal so I have very slim hopes of it being playable consistently. Since you have all the other parts already and if you'll use the 1070 anyway it won't hurt to try but don't do this if it's your one option and it's sink or swim.

that is a very ghetto solution for a very expensive and sensitive product 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

VR being so extremely sensitive to frame times I would say a VM is a very bad idea, VM for standard gaming is sub-optimal so I have very slim hopes of it being playable consistently.

With passthrough, I seem to get withing 10% of the host performance, with no noticable difference in performance.

My main issue with gaming vm's is the pain to do anything, like add a usb drive. They also seem to have more issues with crashing. My vm doesn't let me download gpu drivers and install them, I have to wait for windows update to do its thing.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

With passthrough, I seem to get withing 10% of the host performance, with no noticable difference in performance.

My main issue with gaming vm's is the pain to do anything, like add a usb drive. They also seem to have more issues with crashing. My vm doesn't let me download gpu drivers and install them, I have to wait for windows update to do its thing.

Yea performance is there but what concerns me is the consistency of the frame times, something not really that noticeable if your averaging a decent frame rate in a standard game but in VR you'll really see it.

4 hours ago, Rizzaz said:

I have a Dell server with x58 chipset (16xpcie 2) dual 3Ghz 550 Xennons, 24Gb of ram on SSD cache running unraid 

The cpus are below minimum spec for the vive.

Also if those pcie risers if they are cheap there have been people who have broken gpus with them because they are soldered poorly. Check them before you actually use them.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

this all sounds like a no then, especially if the CPU is under spec...  i hadn't realised  that,

Oh well, thanks for the replies!  

I guess you could get around the VM part by instead having a second drive you swap in for the purpose of running VIVE only,even that the CPU's are slow aren't they, but with a fast cpu Maybe?  I just don't need a full Gaming tower, but I do use the server, so could upgrade it...