Another pump needed or not.

loony979
Go to solution Solved by loony979,

Found the issue that made my pump look like it was running super slow .

So from a now on ill check gpu block and cpu block for green gunk.

I found a layer of green gunk in my cpu jet plate to cpu/bock/copper heat sink. i removed that with a quick rinse of water .them boom the water flow is now is super fast, fantastic. Solved. back to omg cooler temps. 70+ down to 40/50.

this is something that is over looked i think.

So no way am getting another pump this 1 works great.

Ok 1st the list of parts inside my case :

(it's been up and running for a year now)

- EK-Supremacy EVO

- EK CoolStream SE 480

- EK-CoolStream XE 240

- EK-CoolStream SE 360 (pending)

- EK-FC970 GTX WF3 - Nickel Water Block

- EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition

- EK-RES X3 150

- Soft Tubing.

So with all this would i need another pump ? as im not 100% sure if the flow of

coolant / distilled water is enough . well circulation .you know what i mean.

If i get the (pending) would i need another pump. that's all and thank you.

00000001.thumb.jpg.11ba67edf8d0cb48ac02deb517959f09.jpg

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

If its been up and running for a year already, and your temps seem to be fine underload for extended periods of time, then wouldn't it go to reason that what you have is already enough?

I mean, your single pump may be running a little harder, and might shorten its lifespan a bit faster, but it's not like you're running a triple 360 and four block setup or anything, so I seriously doubt it would have that much of a difference in the end at all.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Right so, my goal is to slowly add and fill the case .Next step will be a EK-CoolStream SE 360 (pending) .

im going to be grabbing this and it's a year now so ill flush the system out and refill it.

Later on and so forth add another EK-CoolStream SE 360 then add a EK CoolStream SE 120 But not sure on it the SE 120 .I may leave that out.

So all im doing is adding over time. Plus it's something for me to fondle with while on X-Mass holidays.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

If two EK-CoolStream SE 360 will fit, why not. if your not planning on cooling anything else other than your CPU and GPU adding a EK-CoolStream XE 120 would be overkill. If your looking to optimizing your system and reduce fan speeds, you might consider running Res Out>Pump>CPU>SE 360>GPU>SE 360>Res In. I know it take more fittings, hose/pipe and might not look as good, but I have found that heat builds up is slower and cool down is faster. If you have room, you might consider increasing the liquid volume by adding another or bigger res.

P.S. When possible stay away from 90deg fittings, they look great for show systems but will reduce flow for that little DDC pump.

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

Really don't know why you want so many rads. Kinda seems pointless for the amount of hardware. I wouldn't get another pump myself. Ive ran quite a bit off one pump.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Really don't know why you want so many rads. Kinda seems pointless for the amount of hardware. I wouldn't get another pump myself. Ive ran quite a bit off one pump.

Hey, it looks cool man let it go :)

10 hours ago, loony979 said:

Plus it's something for me to fondle with while on X-Mass holidays.

Please never "fondle" your loop.  xD

fon·dle
ˈfändl/
verb

1. 1.
    stroke or caress lovingly or erotically.

9 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

If your looking to optimizing your system and reduce fan speeds, you might consider running Res Out>Pump>CPU>SE 360>GPU>SE 360>Res In. I know it take more fittings, hose/pipe and might not look as good, but I have found that heat builds up is slower and cool down is faster. If you have room, you might consider increasing the liquid volume by adding another or bigger res.

The temp of the entire loop will equalize almost instantly so the order will not impact temperatures in any meaningful way.  Adding a res isn't going to effect temps either.

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

To be fair, you can really never have too much surface area with regards to cooling.  More surface area, less fan speed needed.

There are those who don't care about noise.  Those are ones that make do with the minimum amount of radiators required.  After all, high fan speed can offset a lack of surface area.

Pretty sure, at the lowest fan speed, a 480 would be enough. Then adding a 240 would already be over kill, let alone adding a 360.
I had 3 360 and a 280 on my loop. Along with 7 blocks. But my fans cant go any lower then 40%. Even had a 2 block loop with a 360 60mm rad and 280 80mm rad. Same pump in all of the set ups, no issues. Id run two pumps for looks if I had the room.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The temp of the entire loop will equalize almost instantly so the order will not impact temperatures in any meaningful way.  Adding a res isn't going to effect temps either...

Well, I have personnel tested this theory ( for the last few years) using many different make/model/mfg of components and have found that configuring a system as stated above shows clear positive results.

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Pretty sure, at the lowest fan speed, a 480 would be enough. Then adding a 240 would already be over kill, let alone adding a 360.
I had 3 360 and a 280 on my loop. Along with 7 blocks. But my fans cant go any lower then 40%. Even had a 2 block loop with a 360 60mm rad and 280 80mm rad. Same pump in all of the set ups, no issues. Id run two pumps for looks if I had the room.

Again, there is a difference between "enough", which is completely subjective.  I'm not arguing what is adequate.  I'm simply stating that if you are in the pursuit of the quietest system you can build, you can never have too much.  I use 5 x 360mm rads and a total of 25 fans to cool one 5960x and 2 x 1080s.  I'd add another 360mm if I could without having to relocate too much stuff.  I enjoy my fans only spinning at 400 to 500 RPMs as much as possible as they remain completely inaudible there.  If I were to use 4 x 360mm, they would have to spin faster and 3 x 360mm even faster yet.  That's all I'm saying.

7 minutes ago, Eddie Current said:

Well, I have personnel tested this theory ( for the last few years) using many different make/model/mfg of components and have found that configuring a system as stated above shows clear positive results.

It's not a theory, it's a fact.  As you'll see in my on screen display that I monitor anytime my PC is on, I measure water temps immediately after both GPUs and in another location mid way through the loop.  The most they vary under ANY load condition is 1c.  I'd hardly call that worth the trouble.

I too used to believe what you believe, but after a great deal of research, I've learned the truth.  It doesn't matter.

Capture 3.JPG

9 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I too used to believe what you believe, but after a great deal of research, I've learned the truth.  It doesn't matter...

How is your system configured?

What components are your cooling?

What brand and type of water blocks are you using?

What type and size is you res?

What type and size is your tubing?

What type and volume of coolant are you using?

What are you flow?

I too do research but in the end you really need to do the testing for yourself.

Just now, Eddie Current said:

How is your system configured?

What components are your cooling?

What brand and type of water blocks are you using?

What type and size is you res?

What type and size is your tubing?

What type and volume of coolant are you using?

What are you flow?

None of that is going to change the fact that water temps throughout the loop will almost instantly equalize regardless of flow.  Look at my signature and profile page for the answers to your questions above.

45 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

None of that is going to change the fact that water temps throughout the loop will almost instantly equalize regardless of flow.  Look at my signature and profile page for the answers to your questions above.

That's were you have been misguided, all these factors play a big/huge/colossal/epic part in how your system can keep up.

I once tested a 5 gal water loop with a res and rad in between each component. I would have to look back on my notes but from what I remember loop temps never got much over ambient temps and component temps were always a few deg c over idle. Now this was only a test on a bench and would not fit practically in any LANBOY case but proves to me (the only one that matters) it works.

P.S. loop temp reading between components pre-res reflected the temps of the components not the total system.

I just notice you have 5ea. EK 360 Rads and 1ea CPU WB and 2ea. GPU WB w/ two pumps, I would really like to know how your system is configured?

50 minutes ago, Eddie Current said:

That's were you have been misguided, all these factors play a big/huge/colossal/epic part in how your system can keep up.

I once tested a 5 gal water loop with a res and rad in between each component. I would have to look back on my notes but from what I remember loop temps never got much over ambient temps and component temps were always a few deg c over idle. Now this was only a test on a bench and would not fit practically in any LANBOY case but proves to me (the only one that matters) it works.

Using your example, guess what would have happened if you would have lined all those rads and reservoirs one after another with with the blocks somewhere else in the loop? Water temps would have equalized almost instantly.  As a result of the water temps remaining near ambient, component temps would in turn remain near ambient (without load).  Large loops tend to stay much closer to ambient regardless of direction of flow.  Small loop water temps will obviously be higher than large loop water temps, but the direction of flow or location of rads and water blocks within the loop isn't going to impact component temps.

Like I mentioned previously, I used to think the same thing you currently do, so I understand the points that you are trying to make.

Time stamped, just hit play.  Take note of his use of the term "common myth."  It used to apply to me.  :D

**I should also add that my current loop is set up exactly as you suggest is optimal and was set up in a different order previously.  It made no difference.  It just happens to look better the way I have it now.

I have seen Jays videos before and for the most part I agree with him on a lot of his ideas, however not the point we are discussing here. Please keep in mind he puts these videos out for the general user with an emphasis on looks and his on personnel "beliefs" without much scientific methodology.

I know there are some who would rather drink the cool-aid from others experiments rather than doing their own and that's OK. But unless you have personally spent day, weeks months (&$$$$$) trying different components and configurations..

It's OK not to agree with me!

2 minutes ago, Eddie Current said:

I have seen Jays videos before and for the most part I agree with him on a lot of his ideas, however not the point we are discussing here. Please keep in mind he put these videos out for the general user with an emphasis on looks and his on personnel "beliefs" without much scientific methodology.

I know there are some who would rather drink the cool-aid from others experiments rather than doing their own and that's OK. But unless you have personally spent day, weeks months (&$$$$$) trying different components and configurations..

It's OK not to agree with me!

I edited my previous post to include another person in addition to myself that is apparently wrong.  :D

Like you said, we simply disagree.  No big deal there.  I just don't think that OP should receive one person's opinion only.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Like you said, we simply disagree.  No big deal there.  I just don't think that OP should receive one person's opinion only.

I agree

30 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

-SNIP-

6 minutes ago, Eddie Current said:

-SNIP-

Loop order in the big scheme of things makes no difference in a watercooling loop, however if you were to go at it from a thermodynamics standpoint and calculate it there is a marginal amount that it will change. The main thing is though it makes no difference due to other factors that more heavily affect a loop's cooling performance such as fans, rads (FPI) among other things. 

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

..but to other factors that more heavily affect a loop's cooling performance such as fans, rads (FPI) among other things. 

Yes, components do make a difference. And just because you see a review on the good old interweb on a fan or a rad that shows a real nice graph showing one fan or rad is better than another, this may or may not be the total truth. After years of testing for myself, I have learned "not" being the first to get a new thing works best and unless you match the reviewers setup exactly your results may vary to the point of negative returns.

• 1 month later...

Found the issue that made my pump look like it was running super slow .

So from a now on ill check gpu block and cpu block for green gunk.

I found a layer of green gunk in my cpu jet plate to cpu/bock/copper heat sink. i removed that with a quick rinse of water .them boom the water flow is now is super fast, fantastic. Solved. back to omg cooler temps. 70+ down to 40/50.

this is something that is over looked i think.

So no way am getting another pump this 1 works great.