HTC One vs Samsung Galaxy S4

Aadi

Which one would you pick and why? I am interested to know...

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

I would pick an HTC One because of its stellar design quality

I'd go for the HTC One, cause really phones are starting to stagnate when it comes to innovation so its more about design and software than throw more cores and higher clocks at the phone.

same reason why i bought a Sony Xperia S last year, sure its only Dual core at 1.5Ghz, but it still feels really fast 10 months later and still has a premium feel to it, whereas the GS4 will still look crap and cheap in a years time, and be replaced with the next, unnecessary spec boost with MORE gimmicks.

I probably sound like a hater, but until I get my HD screen, physical landscape sliding keyboard and long battery life no phone will make me happy.

That being said, getting the HTC One next month!

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I'd go for the HTC One, cause really phones are starting to stagnate when it comes to innovation so its more about design and software than throw more cores and higher clocks at the phone.

same reason why i bought a Sony Xperia S last year, sure its only Dual core at 1.5Ghz, but it still feels really fast 10 months later and still has a premium feel to it, whereas the GS4 will still look crap and cheap in a years time, and be replaced with the next, unnecessary spec boost with MORE gimmicks.

I probably sound like a hater, but until I get my HD screen, physical landscape sliding keyboard and long battery life no phone will make me happy.

That being said, getting the HTC One next month!

Lol, I could of wrote the exact same thing (just swap the Xperia for a S2).

Yeah, if I was to get any it'd be the HTC One. After using both HTC & Samsung phones I defiantly prefer Sense, I can't use a phone when I hate the UI. Don't care for a removable battery or no expandable memory. 32GB (or 24GB usable) is plenty for me, more than plenty and as it stands my S2 battery lasts a couple days. In fact these "issues" should really be non issues for most people. For my use it's a better piece of hardware & software.

In saying that, I can't afford a $700 phone atm so neither company are getting my money :(

according to some benchmarks that they did with high end phones the S4 had the best score on Geekbench 2, here is the graph

650_1000_geekbench-galaxy-s4-snapdragon-600.jpg

I dont know if this is true but they also include Iphone 5 and the S3 dualcore and quadcore, but they did not include the S4 octacore

S4 (the non "octa" core) and HTC has the same processor, just the S4 is clocked 200mhz higher, so no doubt it wins there. What gives me the shits is the S4 being advertised as and octacore processor when in reality it is 2 separate quad core processors that do not run simultaneously. I've see graphs of the HTC One beating out the "octacore" S4. It just uses the A7 chip for less intensive work and the A15 for more strenuous tasks. If it works well this will probably lead to better battery life as will the OLED vs LCD3. But for me, having more accurate colours and being able to see the screen outdoors is more important than a little longer battery.And any quad core processor is more than enough for vast majority & the differences will be that small that it doesn't matter anyway

I am purchasing the HTC One over the Samsung Galaxy S4.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 doesn't feel like a premium device at it's price point.

The HTC One looks premium, feels premium and to be honest, sexy

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

I dunno, i have a One X, i like it but the battery is a B! if only i knew they were making a One X+ back then id go for that but owell, if "THE ONE" has 2-3h more Active battery life over the one X then i have to say THE ONE, as for Samsung....HA GAAYYYYY!! but atlest it has a NICE battery!

meh i guess its auto pick on THE ONE :P

Htc ONE for me.even though its camera isnt that good

@fridel What makes you think the camera isn't that good? Sure it has slightly less details than other phones and a little more noise in photos with lots of light, but it has excellent low-light performance...I recommend you go to the Anandtech review as it has a very good review of the camera. It also has Optical image stabilation and can shoot video at a WHOPPING 60 fps, and you can also use the camera to make really cool slow-motion shots using HTC Zoe...

here is a link http://www.anandtech.com/show/6851/the-htc-one-a-remarkable-device-anands-mini-review/2

If I can persuade myself I can afford it the HTC One otherwise I will probably get myself an s3 mini or an 8s dependant on the price at the time.

None, get a Nexus 4 or Gnex

-Much cheaper

-Directly supported by Google

-Better development if you turn to flashing

If you REALLY want to pick between one of the two, I'd get the SGS4 over the HTC One, simply because I prefer AMOLED displays over LED (although I'll give it to HTC that their IPS displays are gorgeous) Removable battery, and due to the great success of the SGS3, I expect the same amount, if not more accessories to be announced for the SGS4.

On top of that, if you ever turn to flashing, you'll realize that HTC devices are a pain in the ass to develop, root/unlock bootloaders, etc. whereas Samsung devices are much easier, and you have ODIN (which will save you a million and one times)

Plus, I'm not digging HTC's marketing strategy, they are obviously desperate for attention and are hanging on to dear life, but bashing other companies is not the way around it lol.

lets not forget when Samsung really tried to bash companies (*cough* Apple *cough*) in their commercials lol

I dunno, i have a One X, i like it but the battery is a B! if only i knew they were making a One X+ back then id go for that but owell, if "THE ONE" has 2-3h more Active battery life over the one X then i have to say THE ONE, as for Samsung....HA GAAYYYYY!! but atlest it has a NICE battery!

meh i guess its auto pick on THE ONE :P

Check out Linus's 30-day challenge...he mentions the fact that HTC has done many optimizations and battery lasted him longer than a workday which is great

S4 (the non "octa" core) and HTC has the same processor, just the S4 is clocked 200mhz higher, so no doubt it wins there. What gives me the shits is the S4 being advertised as and octacore processor when in reality it is 2 separate quad core processors that do not run simultaneously. I've see graphs of the HTC One beating out the "octacore" S4. It just uses the A7 chip for less intensive work and the A15 for more strenuous tasks. If it works well this will probably lead to better battery life as will the OLED vs LCD3. But for me, having more accurate colours and being able to see the screen outdoors is more important than a little longer battery.And any quad core processor is more than enough for vast majority & the differences will be that small that it doesn't matter anyway
True...besides, there's no smartphone app that can leverage all 8-cores of a phone, so it's a giant waste. I'd rather Samsung actually focus on the design of the their phones....Careful Samsung, when you're at the top of the hill, there's no place to go but down

lets not forget when Samsung really tried to bash companies (*cough* Apple *cough*) in their commercials lol
I don't find it very professional when companies bash other companies, no matter who they are. Just my opinion though. :p
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

I'd choose the HTC One because they would both perform well but the one is a way nicer looking phone, so may as well go with the phone that is pleasing to the eyes (for me personally, I don't like the Galaxy look at all on any of them).

HTC didn't hold back at having a dig at Samsung after the S4 launch. Samsung returned the favour. Just gives the One a bit more exposure than they otherwise wouldn't of gotten.

None, get a Nexus 4 or Gnex

-Much cheaper

-Directly supported by Google

-Better development if you turn to flashing

If you REALLY want to pick between one of the two, I'd get the SGS4 over the HTC One, simply because I prefer AMOLED displays over LED (although I'll give it to HTC that their IPS displays are gorgeous) Removable battery, and due to the great success of the SGS3, I expect the same amount, if not more accessories to be announced for the SGS4.

On top of that, if you ever turn to flashing, you'll realize that HTC devices are a pain in the ass to develop, root/unlock bootloaders, etc. whereas Samsung devices are much easier, and you have ODIN (which will save you a million and one times)

Plus, I'm not digging HTC's marketing strategy, they are obviously desperate for attention and are hanging on to dear life, but bashing other companies is not the way around it lol.

What? Unlocking the bootloade, flashing & rooting HTC phones couldn't be easier (given, doing the same on Samsung is just as easy). There are plenty of tools for it and heaps of people deving for it. And these days it isn't as necessary that you root your device as back around the Gingerbeard days (mainly due to the internal storage restrictions & lack of support for apps running off SD cards which that limited the number of apps you could used). HTC even (unoffically) support it, while they's talks that Samsung may be trying to lock these features down.

Yea but how do you convince the public that a higher number isn't better, they will say " I HAVE 8 AND YOU ONLY HAVE 4 I WIN"!!!

Hmm yeah HTC One is fancy, but ill wait for abit till summer or so, i bet those bastards will make a "HTC one+" lke they did with the One X, i wont make the same mistake twice plus it will probebly drop 10% or so in price by then if im lucky (if they dont make a + version)

I have a gs3 now, the only advantage of the gs4 over the htc one is the microsd slot.

I would go with the one, MUCH better build quality, and it feels more premium, I also have small hands, and i would rather have a 4.7 inch over a 5 inch

HTC One, I've used HTC phones in the past and enjoyed the experience, Samsung philosophy to me seems to be focus on gimmicky features and big numbers. HTC on the other hand seems to favor build quality and considering the speed will almost be negligible to the end user I'm more concerned with how the phone is going to feel in my hand.

I love the cold feel in the morning with my current phone so its something I'm going to be glad to have on the HTC one. Planning on buying it this week.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'm getting the One as soon as I can(it isn't available yet in Croatia) because of much better design and screen, I can't stand SAMOLED combined with Pentile on SGS3, and it feels like Nutella jar lid