Ryzen at stock without turbo beats intel 6900k Goodbye intel

Go to solution Solved by Paradine Sage,
1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Lol.

If performance is anywhere NEAR 6900k levels, then you can absolutely be assured it will cost near 6900k levels.

If AMD can get away with charging only slightly less for a faster cpu, then they absolutely will. They will NOT launch a cpu that powerful for as low a price as you are hoping.

If they don't then they won't sell.

Their only potential market will be people currently not on X99 that want to move up to 8 cores, because anyone already on an X99 chipset is going to just buy the 6900K and save the cost of the motherboard change. Anyone not already on X99 is also reasonably unlikely to see value in moving up from four cores to eight and anyone who actually has a reason to be on Broadwell-E is already there.

To get those already on Broadwell to switch while having a ~$1000 price for Ryzen, Ryzen would have to crush the 6900k. Not just be somewhat better but crush it. These are people who have already probably invested three to five hundred dollars into a motherboard, if they were willing to spend another fifteen hundred bucks on their CPU/MoBo then they would probably go with the 6950k over Ryzen plus the new board. Generally if you are doing tasks that can gainfully exploit 8 cores then you gain more by going to 10 cores than you do by going to a slightly higher clock speed on those 8 cores.

If AMD wants a serious market for this then they need to price it at the point where those on 6800k's and 6850k's would purchase it plus a motherboard instead of purchasing a 6900k when they want to upgrade.

---

Yeah, it does better if you are comparing totally new systems but the problem with that is that there just aren't all that many people in the market for totally new systems in that price/performance range at any given point in time. Then you also have to account for the Broadwell-E replacement that Intel is liable to announce within the next 12 to 24 months.

Ryzen is unlikely to be into the real general market until around April to May of 2017 (assuming that the chip goes on sale February of 2017), and Intel probably starts teasing the Broadwell-E replacement in late 2017 with a Q2 or Q3 drop date in 2018. It's a near certainty that that chip will crush Ryzen so you are looking at about a year or so for Ryzen's lifespan in the market.

Priced competitive to a 6850K (about $500) Ryzen would crush (assuming that Intel doesn't price drop the 6900k to the same point) because at that point it compares (price wise) very well with a 6900k upgrade for anyone already on X99 while offering better performance (assuming that AMD's numbers are honest) while also offering enough of a core and performance gain to likely get a number of Skylake users looking to upgrade to switch.

At five hundred to six hundred USD Ryzen becomes the market defining chip for high end desktops. At eight hundred to a thousand USD it's just another chip, priced too high for the average "enthusiast" to buy and yet not offering enough to get anyone already on an X99 mobo to switch (Ryzen doesn't, even with AMD's numbers, offer one to two hundred dollars worth of better performance over a 6900k and that would be the cost difference for the mobo to switch).

Lol @ goodbye intel.

It's good to be hopeful, but it's not good to have unrealistic expectations.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, UMxMarky94 said:

hopefully goodbye Intel overcharging

Definitely, although I'm not too sure of the magnitude of their price hikes. I've been paying around the same price (~$300) for my desktop processors for over fifteen years whether it's intel or AMD.  Either way true competition should drive prices down regardless.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Definitely, although I'm not too sure of the magnitude of their price hikes. I've been paying around the same price (~$300) for my desktop processors for over fifteen years whether it's intel or AMD.  Either way true competition should drive prices down regardless.

I guess it depends on A, how real are these performance figures B, how spiteful Intel can be 

5 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

I guess it depends on A, how real are these performance figures B, how spiteful Intel can be 

6700k vs RYSEN

-

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

Yaya nice ect. But thats not the first Presentation i see. I wait for Realworld Benchmarks.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

Don't forget price!

A lot of people seem to harp on intel for overcharging, but I remember being forced to buy my first intel processor when Athlon 64 X2 processor prices were too high for me.

4 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

6700k vs RYSEN

-

Don't mean out, it's marketing, they could of cherry pick a chip and over clocked the balls of it, they only showed stock clocks no boost

1 hour ago, maria2244 said:

if AMD can sell their 6900k RYZEN cpu

for 300 or 400 $

no one will buy i5 or i7 from intel anymore

we have 6900k AMD version

I would buy this shit immediately

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

1 hour ago, maria2244 said:

if AMD can sell their 6900k RYZEN cpu

for 300 or 400 $

no one will buy i5 or i7 from intel anymore

we have 6900k AMD version

Dont believe everything a Company throw at you.

Lets see what Linus Bench´s will say about it.

Would be nice if AMD finaly get their shit together.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

54 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

6700k vs RYSEN

-

An 8 core 16 thread cpu beats a 4 core 8 thread cpu!? NO WAY!

/s

Not an Intel fanboy, in fact I'm rooting for amd on this one, but this comparison was stupid.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 69    Score: 3,457,572,143    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 64GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz

GPU: RTX 4090 Founders Edition, Radeon Pro WX 5100

PSU: Corsair RM1000e

SSDs: Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB NVME, 2x Samsung 870 evo 2TB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB, Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Monitors: 9 Monitors: Alienware AW3423DWF 3440x1440@165Hz, Acer H236HLbid 1080p@77Hz, HP D7z72AA 1080p@60Hz, Dell Inspiron 24 3459 1080p@60Hz(used only as display), Dell U2724D 1440p@120Hz, ASUS VP228 1080p@60Hz, 2x HP ZR2440W 1200p@60Hz

unRAID server (Plex, Backups, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME, Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB NVME

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity) + (3x Seagate Ironwolf NAS 8TB + 2x Toshiba N300 NAS 8TB in ZFS)

Case: Fractal Define 7 XL

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Yeah, using a game to compare cpu perfs. Really makes you think...

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when people realize this ryzen hype will be for nothing, especially because it's at an Ivy Bridge level, ipc-wise. 

But then again, ayymd fanboys have to do their thing. 

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

21 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

/s

Not an Intel fanboy, in fact I'm rooting for amd on this one, but this comparison was stupid.

You gotta mask that poor single core perf with more cores. It's the AMD way, friend

That and the 220w TDP.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

27 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

How many topics do we have about the same AMD event?

So don't read . Soo easy right ?

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

51 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

/s

But  Ryzen also beats the 6900k without even the turbo .

1 minute ago, maria2244 said:

But  Ryzen also beats the 6900k without even the turbo .

We don't know that

2 hours ago, maria2244 said:

[shilling material]

Poor IPCs and single core perfs aside, let me ask you what we all want to know: does AMD pay in bollywood vr tickets or do they send power bill vouchers for those sick discounts? :^)

You do know only 1 person could reach AMDs score on Blender with a 6900K, and that was with a 4.8GHz 6950x so something was up. Also remember Intel could sell the 6900K for cheaper than AMD if they had to.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

36 minutes ago, brokencross said:

You gotta mask that poor single core perf with more cores. It's the AMD way, friend

That and the 220w TDP.

12 minutes ago, brokencross said:

Poor IPCs and single core perfs aside, let me ask you what we all want to know: does AMD pay in bollywood vr tickets or do they send power bill vouchers for those sick discounts? :^)

This is why we can't have civil discussions on this forum.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Bulldozer family was such a crap architecture to begin with.

Was it crap IPC wise? Yep

Was it a completely useless arch? No. In programs that can utilise it's 8 cores (in the FX83xx), it can go toe to toe with a 6600K so...

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

You do know only 1 person could reach AMDs score on Blender with a 6900K, and that was with a 4.8GHz 6950x so something was up. Also remember Intel could sell the 6900K for cheaper than AMD if they had to.

How about the 6900K score? Was the usual score or?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

How about the 6900K score? Was the usual score or?

The 6900K score was the same as the Ryzen one

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

The 6900K score was the same as the Ryzen one

So basically, AMD possibly lied about both the Ryzen and 6900K? Damn son

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

How many samples was he running?

It defaults to 200 and the benchmark is done with 150. It's a little detail that makes a big difference...

There has been a bit of a hassle around it but AMD responded with the sample thing and it seems like that was indeed the issue.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

This is why we can't have civil discussions on this forum.

I was being quite civil, friendo.