Recent change of LinusTechTips

chessin

Hi all,

I am about to make an unpopular statement but I feel the urge of doing so.

Over the past few months, a lot of changes have been made to the Linus videos. Whether it being the style, level of details or trivial stuffs like video angle. While I do agree a lot of these changes are good and do create values to the channel, and I understand in order to reach a broader population of audiences, these changes are inevitable, I am kinda missing the old tech tips.

Being a subscriber to the channel since its first few unboxing videos, I consider myself a loyal fan of Linus. What I liked about LinusTechTips was a) Linus's style and presentation and b ) the randomness of it all. In the recent unboxing videos, while Linus continues to depict his unique personality, he also gives a lot of detailed information about the product, (evidently from a lot of research beforehand) which is a good thing! The drawback to this, however my friend, is that Linus has to unbox the product and use it before even filming the unboxing video to give his feedback and thoughts about it. By doing this, we would be missing the good old days of "exploring how this stuff works together". It is fun to see Linus figuring out how to maneuver that strange button on the PCB. His reaction is gold.

I am not trying to complain about all the hard work that has been put into making the channel a better one and creating more value to the audience ultimately, but the inevitable increment in professionalism makes me really miss the old ghetto Linus unboxing and legit FIRST LOOK.

So you are against progress?

Also don't be a fan please, fan's are ignorant and are resistant to change.  You enjoy his content, nothing else.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I really don't think that's what OP said at all. He acknowledged that he understands and enjoys that majority of the changes, but misses Linus' on the spot reactions to things.

I really don't think that's what OP said at all. He acknowledged that he understands and enjoys that majority of the changes, but misses Linus' on the spot reactions to things.

I knew I would be burnt but thanks pal.

And yes agree he's still among the best out there, lots of other guys overdoing it and end up being too artificial.

But man I still remember once there was an unboxing of a video card, and the card was so new that the manufacturer had to include a random banana-brand driver CD, and Linus was so taken by surprised. I lmao multiple times.

I kinda agree, his recent videos have lost that charm that his earlier videos had although the personal rig update was a nice throwback to the ghetto style of old. That is not to say that I am against him making changes, with the increase in production value LinusTechTips really took off and the extra funding he's getting is great for him and everyone involved, and he and the rest of the crew really deserves the extra money.  

Also don't be a fan please, fan's are ignorant and are resistant to change.  You enjoy his content, nothing else.

The stupidest thing I've read today.

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

The stupidest thing I've read today.

Whats stupid about it?

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Whats stupid about it?

Whats stupid about it? Can you really not figure it out for yourself?

First of all, you stupidly assume that 'he's against progress' that's not at all what the OP meant, he just said he preferred watching Linus discover things before he unboxed them and as said before "He acknowledged that he understands and enjoys that majority of the changes, but misses Linus' on the spot reactions to things."

Then you tell him not to be a fan and stereotype all fans to be ignorant and resistant to change. All that a fan is someone who enthusiastically devoted to something, therefore I'd think that most of the people on this forum are fans of Linus. And to be honest, you sound like a fan yourself by defending Linus' newer style, making you a hypocrite.

On a side note, you joined in May 2013, and already have 2,332 posts. That's a ridiculous amount of time on this forum, how on earth do you have enough time?

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

-snip-

When I said against progress I meant the part about him liking linus's style in his earlier videos when things where actually moving forward and new things where popping up all the time.  Hence Linus getting exited about it.  Nowadays nothing is really new, just iterations on things already done.  There isn't much to get exited over now like years ago.

I hope most people are not fan's, I'm not even going to explain what that means about you.  Also no I'm not a fan of linus, I enjoy his content and style, but I'm not going to complain about anything that changes, even if linus ends up going downhill (unlikely but yeh).

I don't have a job (finished university last year, been looking ever since, multiple interviews etc, at least 20 jobs a week If i can find anything relevant).  So I have plenty of spare time...

But this isn't the place to argue or whatever this might turn into so, lets drop it.

Semi-agree, but on a slightly different point. I remember being resistant to the new WAN show style but now after quite a few i'm really really liking it, and noticing how similar it actually is to the old Live Streams. At first it seems they were trying to get the new format down and kind of buckled down and stuck to the plan, but lately it's getting more and more casual while retaining the new format. Also i like the new shorter guest spots.

The one thing i'm missing though is the gaming afterparty! If it's possible time-wise i'd love to see more :)

I think @Matsy confuses fan with fanboy or a hardcore fan. 

Either way, earlier I got the impression that Linus got something new in his hands and then decided to do a quick video about it. Nowadays I get the impression that it's all about the video. I guess I feel it was more honest before. 

Edit: By honest I don't mean to imply that Linus in any way say stuff he doesn't mean or doesn't tell us the truth, but I mean that Linus seemed more like a real person before and more like a host now (except in the Live stuff/WAN show)

I'm a fan of LinusTechTips, because a fan is just someone who supports the channel. I support the changes, as well. Although the random videos are a nice change every once in a while, Linus is trying to establish a style on his channel that works, and something unprofessional is not going to truly appeal to someone who doesn't know Linus' and Slick's personality. There's plenty of randomness that happens in the WAN show, which I think is one of their best productions.

There are some things I would like to see more in the videos, but it's mainly just longer videos and a bit more hands-on with the product.

CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4 GHz      RAMKingston HyperX Grey Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)      MOBO: ASRock Z77E-ITX  

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1060 6GB     HDD's: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  

PSUSilverStone Strider ST50F-P 500W       Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black)    

i miss the older style videos but the new ones are good to the main thing i miss is watching him actually mess around with the stuff he got and of course his issues with fans and always hitting them

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

I'm no longer a fan of linus, I am a fan of Linus, and slick and b-roll and windspeed, and whatthefuzz and looney and mru-su and everyone in this community. 

Except for you, Adrian... 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Just letting ya'll know I *do* read this stuff, and we're always evolving and trying to find the right balance between appeasing the longtime viewers and drawing in new ones. 

It's a VERY delicate balancing act, and we're aware that many of the things we do could be perceived as negative by either group. All we can really do is our best.

The reason for improving our fact-checking beforehand, and the professionalism of the content is that in the past I never relied on manufacturers to sample me anything directly. I always just grabbed whatever I wanted from inventory at NCIX and made a video about it.

Manufacturers are fine with constructive criticism, so pointing out the things about the product that could be better is fine in a good reviewer/manufacturer relationship, but what's not okay is making false statements about the product or missing the key selling points that are supposed to be positive about it. They want to see balanced reviews and honest evaluation of their products as much as the viewers do, and whoever is in charge of review samples wants to be able to show their boss the content and have them feel like it was a good expenditure of money, and an unprofessional video (even one that gets lots of views and lots of people enjoy) is not going to have that effect.

Is the reason why there are fewer unboxings because going into NCIX warehouse is no longer an option? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I also miss the days of 30 minutes motherboard unboxings where Linus' doesn't know what he is doing and the ghetto-ness of him filming at night with his chest tripod. But Linus' actually relies on LTT videos for income and the changes he has made are beneficial for him and his team. 

Personally, I do prefer the ghetto videos, but Linus is still one of the best reviewers out there.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I like it when the "unboxings" aren't scripted and he ends up saying or doing funny things.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

snip

I really like both!

I think it's great that the channel has moved forward and improved the production quality, and I really enjoy those videos. I also think that the earlier videos are what made the channel what it is now, and had a very specific tone to them that can't be found elsewhere on Youtube, the term I'd use to describe them is "friendly". I realized during the last rig update that I really missed that style, those shitty camera angles while you try to balance your rig on its side made me really nostalgic :)

Have you considered keeping the current format, giving a more formal presentation of a product, and then making another, more "ghetto" video, showing more of a personal review of it, or maybe including it in a silly fun project (ghetto shield...), or putting it in a round up with other products from that category...?

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

Ehhh....

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Now that the channel has evolved from what it was into Linus Media Group, with all the changes and complications that come along with the improvements, you might need to make a personal channel apart from the official LinusTechTips channel... Boy would that be ironic.

@chessin, you still watch them? I haven't watched one in months, well one did pop up due to a rouge click on something else I was watching but I only heard his voice from the other room and thought how'd that happen?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Just letting ya'll know I *do* read this stuff, and we're always evolving and trying to find the right balance between appeasing the longtime viewers and drawing in new ones.

It's a VERY delicate balancing act, and we're aware that many of the things we do could be perceived as negative by either group. All we can really do is our best.

The reason for improving our fact-checking beforehand, and the professionalism of the content is that in the past I never relied on manufacturers to sample me anything directly. I always just grabbed whatever I wanted from inventory at NCIX and made a video about it.

Manufacturers are fine with constructive criticism, so pointing out the things about the product that could be better is fine in a good reviewer/manufacturer relationship, but what's not okay is making false statements about the product or missing the key selling points that are supposed to be positive about it. They want to see balanced reviews and honest evaluation of their products as much as the viewers do, and whoever is in charge of review samples wants to be able to show their boss the content and have them feel like it was a good expenditure of money, and an unprofessional video (even one that gets lots of views and lots of people enjoy) is not going to have that effect.

Ya'll

I thought you were Canadian? Y'all is the most southern thing I can think of someone saying. And I love in Georgia.

Other than that, I think the professionalism is good. I simply don't click on videos that don't seem professional. It gives the (sometimes wrong) impression of quality and knowledge.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

So we can't give feedback anymore nowadays before getting called 'fanboy' ignorant or something else?

Looking for a dutch gaming clan? http://fapp-crew.nl/