a new type of shilling - game developer locks content to specific Intel i7 CPUs [updated]

So many entitled whiners here.  It isn't taking away a feature, it is giving a bonus to others ON TOP of the content they paid for.   This me too genration is ridiculous.

M8 what about the haswell i7's? They aren't that far behind skylake i7s...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

M8 what about the haswell i7's? They aren't that far behind skylake i7s...

Mine wrecks most of them since it overclocks very well. And it wasn't "supported".

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

So many entitled whiners here.  It isn't taking away a feature, it is giving a bonus to others ON TOP of the content they paid for.   This me too genration is ridiculous.

Yeah I'm not beating you, I'm enhacing the blood circulation to the vessels of your face, straightening your nose and removing bad teeth! I'm helping you out!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Glad i'm not a pleb. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

4790K = Pleb now mr baller?

Do yourself a favour, and replace that i5 4440 with an i7. (lets just say that after trying to go back to mine, and having my GTX 970 bottlenecked in Skyrim and FO4....my friend can keep my i5 4440+GTX 650ti OC 2GB).

PMSL

4 hours ago, christianled59 said:

I fucking love this game though. God damnit. I wake up this morning to this shit. What kind of dev even accepts that kind of deal? Are they fucking dumb?

The kind that doesn't have the money or experience to do it the first time themselves.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

The kind that doesn't have the money or experience to do it the first time themselves.

They could have at least been upfront with what they were doing-instead of waiting for people to find out on their own and pretty much get ripped off.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Do yourself a favour, and replace that i5 4440 with an i7.

Yes, YES I KNOW damn it, it's on my fucking list I'm just waiting a few more days for my xmas bonus.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah, I'm not condemning them for the intel deal in general. The other promotions they've done are alright. But when negotiating this contract, you'd think one of them would protest the idea that it would actually HURT their sales and make intel look bad. I want to know what representative from intel thought this would be a good idea for any party.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

4790K = Pleb now mr baller?

Good boy. Time to step up. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes, YES I KNOW damn it, it's on my fucking list I'm just waiting a few more days for my xmas bonus.

At least there is this: It takes an early FX 8320/8350 at around 5.4GHz to match it single threaded.

1 minute ago, christianled59 said:

Yeah, I'm not condemning them for the intel deal in general. The other promotions they've done are alright. But when negotiating this contract, you'd think one of them would protest the idea that it would actually HURT their sales and make intel look bad. I want to know what representative from intel thought this would be a good idea for any party.

Then we could beat them over the head with a stupid stick.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

They could have at least been upfront with what they were doing-instead of waiting for people to find out on their own and pretty much get ripped off.

No or got ripped off. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. The content was just going to come later after devs tailored it to be handled on lesser hardware. Now, the devs should have disclosed this, but it's hardly Intel's fault. Intel just helped build it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, christianled59 said:

IT was a good idea. It just should have been disclosed.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

IT was a good idea. It just should have been disclosed.

I agree it should have been disclosed but I still fail to see how it's a good idea. Well at least the closing off features. The advertisement of course is a good idea. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

At least there is this: It takes an early FX 8320/8350 at around 5.4GHz to match it single threaded.

I thought of waiting a bit more for Zen but there's a few 6700 and 4790s on the used market local to me I could get for a significant discount (like 100 bucks less than retail) so I might just get one such chip.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

I agree it should have been disclosed but I still fail to see how it's a good idea. Well at least the closing off features. The advertisement of course is a good idea. 

Promotes higher end CPUs which drives Intel's sales for people unwilling to wait, and the devs gets help from optimization experts.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Promotes higher end CPUs which drives Intel's sales for people unwilling to wait, and the devs gets help from optimization experts.

problem with your reasoning is that the developers blanket 5th, 6th and 7th gen i7, those contain the 2 core 4 threads mobile i7s too - those are not gonna hold up when you compare them with Devils Canyon desktop CPUs

Yes, but what I'm getting at is, even with disclosure, people would resent this move and, in turn, not buy Intel's cpu's.

It should have been: 

Intel gets advertisement and suggestive recommendations from the dev for their higher end cpus. 

The devs get help and money from intel. 

They took it 2 steps too far by closing off content.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

problem with your reasoning is that the developers blanket 5th, 6th and 7th gen i7, those contain the 2 core 4 threads mobile i7s too - those are not gonna hold up when you compare them with Devils Canyon desktop CPUs

Actually it's limited to quads+ only.

5 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Yes, but what I'm getting at is, even with disclosure, people would resent this move and, in turn, not buy Intel's cpu's.

It should have been: 

Intel gets advertisement and suggestive recommendations from the dev for their higher end cpus. 

The devs get help and money from intel. 

They took it 2 steps too far by closing off content.

And I disagree. The content was to be unlocked later anyway after a second optimization phase. This is the reality of optimization. It takes time to do it just targeting one instruction set extension being available. Going backward creates a second round.

You people are so clueless about developing performance-reliant software that it's making you resentful for no logical reason.

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Actually it's limited to quads+ only.

Experience unprecedented VR realism: When powered by an Intel® Core™ i7 processor or equivalent, Arizona Sunshine brings unprecedented realism to VR gaming with zombie mutilation, destructible environments, and an overall cinematic and immersive experience.

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

And I disagree. The content was to be unlocked later anyway after a second optimization phase. This is the reality of optimization. It takes time to do it just targeting one instruction set extension being available. Going backward creates a second round.

You people are so clueless about developing performance-reliant software that it's making you resentful for no logical reason.

The resentment isn't due to lack of understanding! As a developer myself, I'm very familiar with optimizing software. Especially for vr when you're trying to push the highest graphics on the lowest recommended gpu for vr. 

The resentment that has been shown by the community is because this is anti-consumer. The game was delayed in July. They had 5 months to optimize things like this. (and an entire closed beta) Which I suppose is when the deal was made because otherwise there wasn't an apparent need for delay. 

Just analyzing the community feedback, I can guarantee you, even with disclosure, this deal would have affected sales. I don't really see how you can deny that. 

whoops double post