Thoughts on an MSI RX 480?

King_of_Oz

Is this a good card? I want to get it for my first build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/7wgPxr/msi-radeon-rx-480-8gb-gaming-x-video-card-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-8g

this is the full build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bwfTpb

will the CPU bottleneck the gpu in games?

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Fist build ? what are you aiming for ?  1080p gaming or budget VR ? 

(⌐■_■) 

1 minute ago, Ridska said:

Fist build ? what are you aiming for ?  1080p gaming or budget VR ? 

1080p gaming on high/ultra settings at at least 50FPS And yes, this is my first build.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

My build:

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Yes, it's a good card, and that looks like a pretty good build.

Just a couple things, one being that you want a little higher wattage PSU. 430W is just barely scraping by for those parts. Also the i5 6500 is not much more expensive than the 6400 and a way better value, so unless you've hit the absolute budget cap, go with the 6500 instead.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

Good card,if any of GTXs 1060 6GB are cheaper then go for it instead of 480. Also i would suggest going with 520W seasonic PSU

Just now, King_of_Oz said:

1080p gaming on high/ultra settings at at least 50FPS

Have you looked at the rx 470 ? it should be able to max every game out in 1080p.

(⌐■_■) 

3 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

Is this a good card? I want to get it for my first build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/7wgPxr/msi-radeon-rx-480-8gb-gaming-x-video-card-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-8g

this is the full build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bwfTpb

will the CPU bottleneck the gpu in games?

Ive had really good experience with msi cards, but watch a review as the coolers are always different fram generation to generation.

Go for the 6500 instead, better value

Good card. No cpu is fine for that

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Good card,if any of GTXs 1060 6GB are cheaper then go for it instead of 480. Also i would suggest going with 520W seasonic PSU

Why would you recommend going for a 1060?

also,

My build:

3 minutes ago, Ridska said:

Have you looked at the rx 470 ? it should be able to max every game out in 1080p.

But if he can afford the 480, why do that?

1 minute ago, King_of_Oz said:

Why would you recommend going for a 1060?

They're basically the same performance levels overall. So go with a 1060 if you can find one cheaper than a 480.

I will give you an answer, get a sapphire (is really close to amd) or xfx (xfx more quality and quiter).

Nvidia - EVGA

AMD - XFX or Sapphire

Just now, Spork829 said:

But if he can afford the 480, why do that?

True , but if he is just going to game in 1080p and not use VR from time to time , the RX 480 wouldnt be ideal in his situation. 

(⌐■_■) 

Just now, Spork829 said:

They're basically the same performance levels overall. So go with a 1060 if you can find one cheaper than a 480.

I think I will stick with the 480 because of the crossfire and more vram. I know my mobs dosent support crossfire but I would like it as an option for the futur.

also,

My build:

True , but if he is just going to game in 1080p and not use VR from time to time , the RX 480 wouldnt be ideal in his situation. 

I might go higher then 1080p in the future, but I don't have a good enough monitor for that yet.

also,

My build:

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

I might go higher then 1080p in the future, but I don't have a good enough monitor for that yet.

should be around 30fps on 1440p

1440P ?! The rx 480 kinda struggles with that resolution. 30-50 fps at times. rarely scratching 70 fps.

if you want some future proofing now , just wait till December the 13th. The RX 490 will be probably be announced and released. 

Edit: Zen or '' Ryzen '' will be announced too. 

(⌐■_■) 

I think I will stick with the 480 because of the crossfire and more vram. I know my mobs dosent support crossfire but I would like it as an option for the futur.

An RX 470 can Crossfire too, by the way.

It is the worse option though. That MSI RX 480 is an excellent card, probably your best bet.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I would go for a saphire 480 to save a bit of money in the GPU area then spend the money that you saved on a 6500, I would also maybe just get an EVGA 500W 80+ PSU instead and save money there.

9 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

430W is just barely scraping by for those parts.

9 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

520W seasonic PSU

If he doesn't crossfire or upgrade his CPU to something unlocked then it's perfectly fine for his current build with 50-100 watts to spare underload ;) 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

should be around 30fps on 1440p

30fps at 1440p? What are you smoking?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

An RX 470 can Crossfire too, by the way.

It is the worse option though. That MSI RX 480 is an excellent card, probably your best bet.

MSi one is a good one , but i think the powercolor one is kinda better sense dat 3 fans doe.

(⌐■_■) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

If he doesn't crossfire or upgrade his CPU to something unlocked then it's perfectly fine for his current build with 50-100 watts to spare underload ;) 

30fps at 1440p? What are you smoking?

witcher3_2560_1440.pngrottr_2560_1440.pngcrysis3_2560_1440.pngfarcryprimal_2560_1440.png

MSi one is a good one , but i think the powercolor one is kinda better sense dat 3 fans doe.

Nah, the powercolor one has a mediocre PCB, like it's not bad but it's shite for a custom PCB ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

To each their own. They're both good coolers. The Powercolor kinda turns me off due to the gaudy "DEVIL" branding.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

4 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Not really.

no, but the  6500 is a better value

You considered an SSD?

Yes I considered and ssd but too pricey. What wattage psu would you recommend. (Would like lowest possible for budget reasons)

also,

My build: