LTT gaming servers?

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Moderation would be too significant if we were to host our own servers. We would want to make sure that everyone on there had a positive experience with the community at large, and there's just no real (feasible) way for us to ensure that that happens without putting in significant manhours for, quite frankly, a pretty small benefit. There are already ways for members to get in contact with each other (forum, unofficial Discord, etc.) and set up games.

If the mods would allow it I think a thread to post community-hosted servers would be a good option to discuss, but that is not anywhere close to my area of expertise - I defer to the mods completely on whether something like that fits our community guidelines/would be allowed.

Also, I've hidden all of your long posts but please don't continue to do that in the future. It's extremely annoying and absolutely pointless.

To whomever this may concern in the LTT staff, ( @LinusTech @nicklmg @Slick)

There are a metric but ton of gamers on your forum, but whenever we want to play with each other, there isn't a already setup private server for us. I believe that people that are willing to sacrifice some of their Internet connection, and computing power, to allow for a place just for people on LTT?photo-2694.gif You may be thinking, there are people who already do that?!?!?

what I'm talking about is some that the LMG says are "Verified" by them as a place where it is almost guaranteed for just LTT members. It sounds kind of bpdumb now, idk if anybody else asked this but, WHAT IF............

-Piero

Edited by W-L
Post Formatting

i like trains 🙂

What kind of servers are you looking for? I have a lot of servers idling in different data centers so I'd be happy to spin up some game servers for LTT if there's a big enough demand for them. I already host some game servers for Twitch streamers I like. :D

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

What kind of servers are you looking for? I have a lot of servers idling in different data centers so I'd be happy to spin up some game servers for LTT if there's a big enough demand for them. I already host some game servers for Twitch streamers I like. :D

Lel like some "LTT Branded" servers specifically for LTT users. Idk. Maybe I'll make a poll if this picks up, and send the demand of each game to people interested in hosting.

-Piero

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, Implosivetech said:

Lel like some "LTT Branded" servers specifically for LTT users. Idk. Maybe I'll make a poll if this picks up, and send the demand of each game to people interested in hosting.

I see what you're saying, I don't think LTT would want to endorse something they don't have control over but maybe the mods could create a database with community servers hosted by forum members.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I see what you're saying, I don't think LTT would want to endorse something they don't have control over but maybe the mods could create a database with community servers hosted by forum members.

Probably

-Piero

i like trains 🙂

3 minutes ago, Paytend01 said:

That would be pretty cool :D

Yes

-Piero

i like trains 🙂

Just now, Paytend01 said:

Why are all of your posts so long? 

I am an interesting being.

-Piero

i like trains 🙂

10 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

There are a metric but ton of gamers on your forum, but whenever we want to play with each other, there isn't a already setup private server for us. I believe that people that are willing to sacrifice some of their Internet connection, and computing power, to allow for a place just for people on LTT?

There are hundreds of different game servers you can have since there are hundreds of games that support dedicated servers.

With a "private" server there are complications you can't just have a server in your basement or at a local residence and run it for lots of people it is most likely against your ISPs regulations, and would get shut down, as well as they just don't have the upload speed.  Someone would need to pay for server hosting which isn't cheap.

As @KuJoe said, no control by LTT would never make it offical, they would have to have some sort of moderator online 24/7 for that to happen.

IIRC there is an unofficial LTT discord server.

If you want to pay for server hosting and invite LTT members that is alright as long as you follow the "no advertising" rules most likely by making it free for LTT members. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

There are hundreds of different game servers you can have since there are hundreds of games that support dedicated servers.

With a "private" server there are complications you can't just have a server in your basement or at a local residence and run it for lots of people it is most likely against your ISPs regulations, and would get shut down, as well as they just don't have the upload speed.  Someone would need to pay for server hosting which isn't cheap.

As @KuJoe said, no control by LTT would never make it offical, they would have to have some sort of moderator online 24/7 for that to happen.

IIRC there is an unofficial LTT discord server.

If you want to pay for server hosting and invite LTT members that is alright as long as you follow the "no advertising" rules most likely by making it free for LTT members. 

Yes

-Piero

i like trains 🙂

I don't want to be a b&*%$ about this, but the long posts are very annoying. They don't add any information to the other content, and serve to just annoy people. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I don't want to be a b&*%$ about this, but the long posts are very annoying. They don't add any information to the other content, and serve to just annoy people. 

yes.

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I am putting the long ones in revealer snow. It is meant to be a joke

i like trains 🙂

Maybe Linus could look in to this and hiring a staff member just to handle all of the game servers so their would be a official LTT game servers  .  

13 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Maybe Linus could look in to this and hiring a staff member just to handle all of the game servers so their would be a official LTT game servers  .  

E probably won't hire somebody just for that

i like trains 🙂

2 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

E probably won't hire somebody just for that

Or you can start up some servers and ask Linus to make you the offical LTT gaming server provider 

1 hour ago, Danielh90 said:

Or you can start up some servers and ask Linus to make you the offical LTT gaming server provider 

@KuJoe ^^^ 

daniel, I don't have the money, but I would if I could

i like trains 🙂

Fuck you guys are annoying as fuck, just post normally ok, my finger is hurting from scrolling down too many times.

If Linus can make a tidy profit I am sure he would.

Moderation would be too significant if we were to host our own servers. We would want to make sure that everyone on there had a positive experience with the community at large, and there's just no real (feasible) way for us to ensure that that happens without putting in significant manhours for, quite frankly, a pretty small benefit. There are already ways for members to get in contact with each other (forum, unofficial Discord, etc.) and set up games.

If the mods would allow it I think a thread to post community-hosted servers would be a good option to discuss, but that is not anywhere close to my area of expertise - I defer to the mods completely on whether something like that fits our community guidelines/would be allowed.

Also, I've hidden all of your long posts but please don't continue to do that in the future. It's extremely annoying and absolutely pointless.

8 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I still see all of the long posts

15 hours ago, Danielh90 said:

I can think half dozen persons LMG should hire instead of single game server admin.

14 hours ago, Danielh90 said:

@nicklmg lined what I was going to say. Its the same reason why there won't be any official real-time chat solution. Moderating would be too much. And since they are official servers, any trolling, flaming, cheating, scamming etc. whatever common gamers do there would/could be seen happening because LMG allows it.

10 hours ago, nicklmg said:

19 hours ago, KuJoe said:

You mean.... like.... this?

If @looney still keeps it in check.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think idea is good. The problem is - who will do that? Someone must see "business" (money) in hosting these servers. If it will be game that I'm rly into I will probably try as much as I can to help.

We will see... Somebody who is "higher" than normal users have to consider making this

IF U SEE MISTAKES IN MY POSTS - JUST TELL ME. I RLY WANT TO BECOME BETTER IN ENGLISH! 

Thank you for understanding! Have a nice day!

X99 buid: (under construction) [OWN] / [DON'T OWN]
CPU:I7 5820k GPU:ASUS GTX 660 2GB [Goal is GTX980ti] RAM:G.Skill Ripjavs4 16Gb (4x4 [Goal is 32Gb]) MOBO:Gigabyte x99 Gaming 5p Case:FD Define XL (rev.1)

990FX build: (sold)
CPU:AMD FX 6300 GPU:ASUS GTX 660 2GB RAM:Corsair Vengence 8GB (2x4Gb) MOBO:ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Case:Zalman Z3 PLUS

Peripherials:
Keyboard:Razer Arctosa Mouse:Razer Naga 2012 Headset:Logitech G35 Headphones:Sennheiser HD 558 Earphones:Razer Hammerhead Mic:Novox NC-1 Monitor:Syncmaster TA350