Confused about the ring and Mesh network topology?

Theminecraftaddict555

So in my practice final exam, I am asked a question saying that which topology increases redundancy by have nodes to connect to other nodes of the network? I had to choose either ring or mesh topology but both topologies have nodes being connected to each other though? So i chose ring and then the answer ended up being mesh? What the heck?! 

Is there something I am missing here?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Ring network topology:

NetworkTopology-Ring.png

Mesh network topology:

NetworkTopology-Mesh.png

The difference between the two is nodes in ring networks only have two connections. Nodes in a mesh network can have as many as feasible.

The reason why mesh is better for reliability is that in a ring network, two nodes going down can isolate nodes from each other. In mesh, there can still be a path to another node depending on how many paths there are.

IDK this at all but your propic was too nice to not comment on it C:

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

The key word is redundancy here. With a ring network, if one connection goes down, then anything past that connection is cut off from the network. A mesh network has multiple connections between machines so if one connection is lost, then the network should still be operational since there are other routes that the traffic can take.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

1 minute ago, squirrl said:

The key word is redundancy here. With a ring network, if one connection goes down, then anything past that connection is cut off from the network. A mesh network has multiple connections between machines so if one connection is lost, then the network should still be operational since there are other routes that the traffic can take.

So pretty much, if one device in a ring network fails, then everything else fails 

If one device in a mesh fails, then other devices can simply rely on another path to transmit data to? 

2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

IDK this at all but your propic was too nice to not comment on it C:

Just comment on my profile channel next time :)

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Ring network topology:

NetworkTopology-Ring.png

Mesh network topology:

NetworkTopology-Mesh.png

The difference between the two is nodes in ring networks only have two connections. Nodes in a mesh network can have as many as feasible.

So same thing would apply to this mesh topology too?

Image result for mesh topology

Just now, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Yes. Specifically ring means the nodes are connected in a chain like fashion. Mesh is that nodes are connected to each other however the system sees fit. Mesh networks are usually used for wireless communications, if that helps you understand it better.

27 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So in my practice final exam, I am asked a question saying that which topology increases redundancy by have nodes to connect to other nodes of the network? I had to choose either ring or mesh topology but both topologies have nodes being connected to each other though? So i chose ring and then the answer ended up being mesh?

wait a sec .. what type of hardline connections are we talking about here

direct network cables between PCs or with switches? because if you connect two switches via two network cables, those two switches will murder each other and the network will cease to function - packet collision 

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

direct network cables between PCs or with switches? because if you connect two switches via two network cables, those two switches will murder each other and the network will cease to function - packet collision 

pc's 

24 minutes ago, zMeul said:

PCs

k

Think of every node in the network as if it were a switch or router (like a proxy server if you will). With mesh networking every node in the network is responsible for forwarding traffic to the other nodes. Leaving aside path determination (L3) and (at layer 2) spanning tree considerations, we are talking about the MOST redundant amount of paths to any given node on the network.if you have a ring topology you have one path from one node to the next, to the next etc.

Ring topology also has the problem that traffic only flows in one direction. Kind of like a mobius strip or that picture where the stairs seem to connect to themselves in a square but all the while going up (or is it down?) so if one node goes down, so does the whole ring after that one node. but in mesh if you lose one path to a node you still may have 4 others (if we use your diagram with the 6 nodes in a full mesh topology).

If you cut the link on the ring topology you only get one path to a node that may have been right next to yours. You cut a link in the full mesh  topology and you should still have at least 15 other paths (indirect though some may be) to get from the node that lost a direct connection to another node. 

So which topology increases redundancy by having nodes connect to other nodes of the network?

Or a better way to put it. Which topology has more redundant links (and thus paths) to other nodes in the network?

2 links/paths are great. 5 links are better.  

....and the green diagram is only a partial mesh topology.

don't believe me?... label the nodes on your full mesh diagram A,B,C,D,E,F and then cut the connection between A and B. You can still get to B by going A-->C-->B, ADB, AEB, AFB (2 hops), ACDB, ACEB,ACFB, ADCB, ADEB, ADFB (3 hops) etc etc up to a 5 hop path like ACEDFB or ACDEFB.

If you like puzzles, try and find how many iterations you can. I can count at least 20 different paths off the top of my head without writing them down. :P 

The only rules are:

1) you don't go through the same node more than once

2) A is the start point and B (or whichever node you chose) is the endpoint

7 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

That's a full mesh.

I know this has kinda been said already, but just to pitch in, try cutting any four wires on that topology and you still have a mesh.

In a full mesh the number of connections you have equals the sum like this where n=[number of machines]: fullmeshsum.PNG

That means for 6 nodes you get 0+1+2+3+4+5=15 connections, 7 nodes would be sum for six nodes plus 6 = 21 and so on.

If you want to subtract connections from a full mesh, how many can you take away before you lose the mesh altogether?

(Why are we doing puzzles? :D)

edit:

Wow, I did that sigma thing all wrong... Here's the correct way to put it:fullmeshsumtherightway.PNG

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

Because a consumer grade switch isn't designed for any kind of link redundancy.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing