What can be done with a 1.5mb / 256k Internet connection?

gibbsy81

My family are moving to a new house and my dad ordered adsl2+ With dodo but with speed of 1.5mb down and 256kb up.

Can you even browse he Internet or watch youtube videos.

I hope it isn't fast enough for him to browse the internet or for mum to browse Facebook then he will upgrade the plan.

Edit just relized he will be using wifi and the modems going to be in a spot where he can't get to and use his laptop.

After having an outage where my internet was only 1.5mbit for a couple of days, I can say for sure that 6 people scrapping over 1.5mibt of bandwidth makes the internet borderline unusable.

Yay can't wait ill just leave my computer on all the time torrenting that will add up to 6 people using the internet at once then he will upgrade the plan.

And he says he couldn't care if we didn't have internet but the amount of time he spends on his laptop i would say he is dependent on it.

And he says he can get internet on his phone well he can't if there's no Optus mobile phone tower for kilometers.

Yea, having an internet connection that is under 10mb down is terrible. Youtube will be impossible.  :wacko:

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Yea, having an internet connection that is under 10mb down is terrible. Youtube will be impossible. :wacko:

He will upgrade it garenteed I'll just slow the thruput to his pc and mums ipad.

Yay can't wait ill just leave my computer on all the time torrenting that will add up to 6 people using the internet at once then he will upgrade the plan.

And he says he couldn't care if we didn't have internet but the amount of time he spends on his laptop i would say he is dependent on it.

And he says he can get internet on his phone well he can't if there's no Optus mobile phone tower for kilometers.

If you really want to mess with him, you could change the router settings and force a really low bandwidth. Then once he gets a better plan put the router back into its right configuration.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

Yea, having an internet connection that is under 10mb down is terrible. Youtube will be impossible.  :wacko:

,my internet is 8mbs and i can watch 1080p youtube fine and download games pretty quick

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

,my internet is 8mbs and i can watch 1080p youtube fine and download games pretty quick

Yes you could but its not great. Having something like google fiber with 100mb down is a godsend.

If you really want to mess with him, you could change the router settings and force a really low bandwidth. Then once he gets a better plan put the router back into its right configuration.

I like the sound of that.

Yes you could but its not great. Having something like google fiber with 100mb down is a godsend.

it does the job. Australia though........australia.............................. :c

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

for me 10mbps is the mimimum for a good internet experience

but i really love my 120mb down 5up connection :)

youtube videos load so fast

Guys I know it may sound like a noob question but how do you know your internet speed??

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

Guys I know it may sound like a noob question but how do you know your internet speed??

go to speedtest.net

speedtest.net

it does the job. Australia though........australia.............................. :c

Sorry, your right not everyone gets google fiber. Hopefully in the future google will just go balls to the walls and give everyone the option to buy it.

Go to speedtest.net

This was my first thought.  do this.

Fun fact did you know adsl only needs one wire to run.

fun fact did you know VDSL2+ can run over 100Mb/s on dodgy aussie copper? They just need to implement it in the exchanges.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

go to speedtest.net

will it work from my phone?

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

well i have 2 M/bit and 512 Up normal. and that is still fast for speeds where i live and i can play MMO with some ping... but i can play on local servers with 50 ping and its fine :) and download is not to slow i get about 220 KB/s down and 50 - 60 KB/s up can download steam games like 1 games in a night ^^

Needs Update

The crazy part is there is fibre running right out side the house but we talked to multiple providers and they say it's not there's.

for me 10mbps is the mimimum for a good internet experience

but i really love my 120mb down 5up connection :)

youtube videos load so fast

That 5 up would kill me though :P

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Sorry, your right not everyone gets google fiber. Hopefully in the future google will just go balls to the walls and give everyone the option to buy it.

that would be bloody amazing ahah

will it work from my phone?

you can download the speedtest.net app from the play store / iStore (what ever it is called)

Needs Update

That 5 up would kill me though :P

haha iknow but its way better then 1mb up 

got this free upgrade from 25mb to 120 mb

im not uploading that much so i dont need fast upload speeds :)