USB Killer (Not What You Think)

IamPROJECT

Hey all! So, I've recently started picking up computer coding, and was wondering if you all could help me with a little something. So, I've recently been seeing videos about a USB killer device where you plug in this USB stick (which really isn't at all, it's full of capacitors), the computer supplies power to it, and *zap* the current goes back through to the motherboard, fries it, and kills the computer with one swift kick. I got to thinking about a less harmless way to do this, and thought, well, why not just write some code that when you plug in a USB, it simply turns off the computer....it'd make for a great prank! The problem is, as I am relatively new to computer coding, I don't know how to accomplish this. If anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated!! :)

You might look into the windows AutoRun system, and execute shutdown.exe when the USB stick is plugged in.

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI

Well, I don't think that there is a way to power down the entire system suddenly through code.

2 minutes ago, dannytech357 said:

You might look into the windows AutoRun system, and execute shutdown.exe when the USB stick is plugged in.

^^ That won't work, because it will shutdown "Nicely" so it will show the shutdown screen for a few seconds

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well, I don't think that there is a way to power down the entire system suddenly through code.

^^ That won't work, because it will shutdown "Nicely" so it will show the shutdown screen for a few seconds

So, is there no way to bypass the shutdown screen? Like when you hold down the power button for 5 seconds (not sure what that's called, hard reset maybe?) and it completely shuts down.

2 minutes ago, IamPROJECT said:

So, is there no way to bypass the shutdown screen? Like when you hold down the power button for 5 seconds (not sure what that's called, hard reset maybe?) and it completely shuts down.

just create a batch file - i have one i made when i was in highschool

NOTE EDIT THIS ONLY - I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU LOSE WORK DUE TO THIS

THIS WILL ONLY SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER BUT WILL MAKE IT LOOK LIKE  THE COMPUTER IS BEING HACKED AND ALL THE FILES ARE BEING DELETED 

black.bat

3 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

THIS WILL ONLY SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER BUT WILL MAKE IT LOOK LIKE  THE COMPUTER IS BEING HACKED AND ALL THE FILES ARE BEING DELETED 

black.bat

Excellent, though there are a few typos, mostly in your copying and pasting: startstart instead of start, and such

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

black.bat

I tried this, the problem is, you have to click on it for it to work. My idea is that you pop in the usb drive, and snap, crackle, pop, your computer shuts off. I want to eliminate the factor of going in and clicking on the file to make it work.

1 minute ago, IamPROJECT said:

I tried this, the problem is, you have to click on it for it to work. My idea is that you pop in the usb drive, and snap, crackle, pop, your computer shuts off. I want to eliminate the factor of going in and clicking on the file to make it work.

put it into an autorun - im just saying that this will be for the "virus" i know it's different from auto shut down - but its more scary

2 minutes ago, dannytech357 said:

Excellent, though there are a few typos, mostly in your copying and pasting: startstart instead of start, and such

i made it 6 years ago when i was 18 so forgive me if my batch wasn't up to par back then - 

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

put it into an autorun - im just saying that this will be for the "virus" i know it's different from auto shut down - but its more scary

Ah I see, I guess autorun is the key here. Cool batch file. I think it's pretty great, then again, I am just starting off. :P 

1 minute ago, IamPROJECT said:

Ah I see, I guess autorun is the key here. Cool batch file. I think it's pretty great, then again, I am just starting off. :P 

u want it to automated, set it as an exe that auto runs - not that hard and put the exe and batch in the same folder so you can autorun the exe which will in turn run the batch file

• 3 weeks later...

You can put a microcontroller on the usb stick that would report itself as a usb keyboard to the operating system.

Then, a few seconds after it's fully accepted by the operating system, the microcontroller on the stick can simulate keys pressed by the user, like pressing windows key + r combo to activate the run box, then type cmd and enter to open a console and from there it can type shutdown or whatever else ... all this can basically be done in seconds.

If you want to be really cruel, you can simulate a mass storage device AND a keyboard, so when you plug the stick you can use the keyboard to start a console and launch an executable from the mass storage on the stick, which can stay in memory, or modify the computer's bios or write itself in the boot sector of the hard drive and so on.

Some hackers used this scheme in the past to put inline (between keyboard and pc)  microcontrollers with usb functionality, to log and monitor key presses from keyboard. The gadget just passes through the keys pressed while logging them (optionally). When user stopped pressing keys for a while (meaning maybe he went to get a coffee or something.. or just reading some spreadsheet/document) but before screensavers and whatnot activate, the gadget started to send fake keys to the pc pressing the windows key, typing commands in the run window and so on.. basically as a workaround for the lack of "autorun" from removable media.

Some hacks even went as far as reprogramming the firmware of some usb keyboards and mice to be resilient.

10 hours ago, darthgibbs2002 said:

will autorun require visual studio to edit the exe

notepad ++ or atom works fine too