New MOBO - Clean OS install?

I am getting all new parts on friday and will build then. I am keeping my hard drive, can I keep all my files and windows 10 on my hardrive and change the mobo or do i have to do a clean install of windows, if so how do i go about doing so, and will it cost money?

1 minute ago, RobertG05 said:

I am getting all new parts on friday and will build then. I am keeping my hard drive, can I keep all my files and windows 10 on my hardrive and change the mobo or do i have to do a clean install of windows, if so how do i go about doing so, and will it cost money?

i also see some people not having to do anything, but install the new drivers when they get their new mobo

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Should work, Id try it before you reinstall.

how do i reinstall windows if worse comes to worse

Honestly, you don't absolutely have to, but I would do it anyways. Old drivers and software sticking around are never a good thing. I may have a bias though. I wipe my OS about every 2 months just so I can feel better about my install. xD

EDIT: If you are replacing with the same model mobo, then there is no reason to.

Just now, RobertG05 said:

how do i reinstall windows if worse comes to worse

Get a windows usb, dvd, floppy, or pxe image, and set that as your boot device.

Just now, PerkyMango said:

Honestly, you don't absolutely have to, but I would do it anyways. Old drivers and software sticking around are never a good thing. I may have a bias though. I wipe my OS about every 2 months just so I can feel better about my install. xD

EDIT: If you are replacing with the same model mobo, then there is no reason to.

how do i wipe my os though and reinstall it

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get a windows usb, dvd, floppy, or pxe image, and set that as your boot device.

so i can just use a 32gb flash drive and set that as my boot drive, then what do i do

so i can just use a 32gb flash drive and set that as my boot drive, then what do i do

You need to first put windows on it using rufus and a iso(you can dowload it form microsoft).

Then in the bios boot menu set it to the uefi setting for the usb stick.

how do i wipe my os though and reinstall it

There are guides everywhere on the internet. Just Google "Create Windows 10 Boot USB" I found this guide on RedmondPie. Then you boot to the USB and follow the directions.

You need to first put windows on it using rufus and a iso(you can dowload it form microsoft).

Then in the bios boot menu set it to the uefi setting for the usb stick.

so i have to buy it again?

1 minute ago, RobertG05 said:

so i have to buy it again?

not as long as you have a windows key

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

do you have the windows key?

yes it is on the side if my old computer case

you can use that.

Id try booting from the old hdd first.

and if that doesnt work, try to create a boot drive with the flash drive, and how should i wipe my hdd

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can use that.

Id try booting from the old hdd first.

so, right now im downloading windows on a flash drive, so when my new pc is all setup, i dont install the hdd right? All i do is the flash drive?

4 minutes ago, RobertG05 said:

and if that doesnt work, try to create a boot drive with the flash drive, and how should i wipe my hdd

Build the new pc and boot from the old hdd. If it work, your good.

If it doesn't boot(unlikey) then make the usb install it from there.

so if it doesnt boot, should i take out the hdd and just use the flash drive?

7 minutes ago, RobertG05 said:

so if it doesnt boot, should i take out the hdd and just use the flash drive?

No, Leave the HDD, use the USB to overwrite Windows onto it, and then boot to the HDD. the flash drive isn't Windows itself, it's an installer. It will put Windows on the HDD.

2 minutes ago, PerkyMango said:

No, Leave the HDD, use the USB to overwrite Windows onto it, and then boot to the HDD. the flash drive isn't Windows itself, it's an installer. It will put Windows on the HDD.

oh ok, i click f12 on startup to choose the boot drive, or will it auto make it the usb?

7 minutes ago, RobertG05 said:

oh ok, i click f12 on startup to choose the boot drive, or will it auto make it the usb?

When you use F12 to get to the boot menu, you select the USB. (If it doesn't work, try the BIOS and Legacy options) As for autobooting to the USB, it depends on your boot order. To be safe though, just use F12.

11 minutes ago, PerkyMango said:

also do i have to wipe it if it doesnt boot

also do i have to wipe it if it doesnt boot

I would recommend it, it's not good to have conflicting drivers. But I don't know your whole situation so I'm not quite sure. To be safe, have all of your important data backed up. If you want a good service, just use Google Drive or go with the trusty thumb drive.

5 minutes ago, PerkyMango said:

I would recommend it, it's not good to have conflicting drivers. But I don't know your whole situation so I'm not quite sure. To be safe, have all of your important data backed up. If you want a good service, just use Google Drive or go with the trusty thumb drive.

ok, so to clarify lol, try without the flash drive, if that does not work - use the flash drive, and i wont have to wipe my hard drive at all?