New MOBO - Clean OS install?

Just now, RobertG05 said:

ok, so to clarify lol, try without the flash drive, if that does not work - use the flash drive, and i wont have to wipe my hard drive at all?

Correct, except if you use the flash drive, I would recommend wiping it. Even if you use repair to get the install working, you will have conflicting drivers and other junk. I highly suggest just clean installing regardless.

1 minute ago, PerkyMango said:

Correct, except if you use the flash drive, I would recommend wiping it. Even if you use repair to get the install working, you will have conflicting drivers and other junk. I highly suggest just clean installing regardless.

ok man thanks for all the help

6 minutes ago, PerkyMango said:

You got it. Good luck with your upgrade :)

also, if i lose my windows, (mine was from windows 8 then upgraded) id have to purchase a new key?

also, if i lose my windows, (mine was from windows 8 then upgraded) id have to purchase a new key?

No. Have your key written down. The only thing to be aware of is that sometimes newer motherboards keep the key and you might have to call Microsoft. I have never had this happen in my experience, I have just seen others. You should still just write the key down to be safe. Also, the Windows 10 upgrade ended, but because you upgraded the key, it's fine as it is now a Windows 10 Key. 

3 minutes ago, PerkyMango said:

No. Have your key written down. The only thing to be aware of is that sometimes newer motherboards keep the key and you might have to call Microsoft. I have never had this happen in my experience, I have just seen others. You should still just write the key down to be safe. Also, the Windows 10 upgrade ended, but because you upgraded the key, it's fine as it is now a Windows 10 Key. 

so the old windows 8 key is on side of my case, so i can use that as my new key?

2 minutes ago, RobertG05 said:

so the old windows 8 key is on side of my case, so i can use that as my new key?

or the one in my control panel? they are different

15 minutes ago, RobertG05 said:

or the one in my control panel? they are different

That's strange. Are you sure you are not talking about the Product ID and Product Key? They are 2 separate things. This is my control panel (BELOW). If you are talking about the ID in brackets, that's not your Key. Write down the key on the case.4UrCyDD.png

Edited by PerkyMango
Attached Image Properly

2 minutes ago, PerkyMango said:

That's strange. Are you sure you are not talking about the Product ID and Product Key? They are 2 separate things. This is my control panel. If you are talking about the ID in brackets, that's not your Key. Write down the key on the case. https://imgur.com/a/Q9KtM

oh ok so i use the one on the side of my case, it is TGGNB - XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX (X=letters, not to lose my key) so that is my key. 25 digit key

oh ok so i use the one on the side of my case, it is TGGNB - XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX (X=letters, not to lose my key) so that is my key. 25 digit key

Right. Just know that the Product ID =/= Product Key. If you want to know for sure what your key is, here is a HowToGeek article on finding it.

You don't need a key at all. Install the HDD as is with the new MOBO. Turn the PC on and log in with your Windows account Info. DONE.

If you fresh install with the USB, It will reformat for you and install. You still wont need the key. Just click "I don't have a key" and it will skip the step. Then log in with your Microsoft account info and done.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430