HD 598 CS

montyrule

I was looking to get them as they are only £89 on amazon, but was wondering if,
Firstly, are they any good for EDM music?

Secondly, I have read they don't come with a case, so what did you do with yours, cause I was planning to use them at college and maybe at the gym.

Thirdly, is 23 OHMs to much to get the most out of a WileyFox Swift?

Fourthly, would i be better off going with something like the momentums? 

Thanks

Something Awesome!

4 minutes ago, montyrule said:

I was looking to get them as they are only £89 on amazon, but was wondering if,
Firstly, are they any good for EDM music?

Secondly, I have read they don't come with a case, so what did you do with yours, cause I was planning to use them at college and maybe at the gym.

Thirdly, is 23 OHMs to much to get the most out of a WileyFox Swift?

Thanks

Yeah they'll be more than good enough for EDM if that's all you listen to. 

They'll be perfect for the gym since it's closed back and all you listen is EDM versus the open back. The only thing is the velour pads will soak up sweat. It doesn't come with a case but you could probably get one as a complimentary. I have a case I think the company is called Slappy. It's a logo with a hand print.

And no it won't be hard for any phone to run. Earphones that normal people buy are around 16 ohms. Headphones normal people get are around 30 ohms. Your phone won't need an amp just to power this headphone. 

I've got a pair of 5 year old HD 595's. Likely very similar other than being open on the sides. All music sounds amazing with headphones in the price range of the HD598's. Your phone should easily be able to drive 23ohms (apple earpods are about 45ohms for example). Don't expect any hard hitting bass though. You would really need an external DAC and amp (like a FiiO E10K) to get the most out of those headphones. Sennheiser's around ear headphones are the most comfy I've used, but they are very big so I'm not sure they would stay on your head at the gym. 

i7-4790k </> GTX980Ti </> 8GB DDR3 </>  ASUS Z97-A </> 512 NVMe </> LG 27" UHD IPS LED

14 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Yeah they'll be more than good enough for EDM if that's all you listen to. 

They'll be perfect for the gym since it's closed back and all you listen is EDM versus the open back. The only thing is the velour pads will soak up sweat. It doesn't come with a case but you could probably get one as a complimentary. I have a case I think the company is called Slappy. It's a logo with a hand print.

And no it won't be hard for any phone to run. Earphones that normal people buy are around 16 ohms. Headphones normal people get are around 30 ohms. Your phone won't need an amp just to power this headphone. 

Perfect, Thanks very much! 

Something Awesome!

8 minutes ago, kw10001 said:

I've got a pair of 5 year old HD 595's. Likely very similar other than being open on the sides. All music sounds amazing with headphones in the price range of the HD598's. Your phone should easily be able to drive 23ohms (apple earpods are about 45ohms for example). Don't expect any hard hitting bass though. You would really need an external DAC and amp (like a FiiO E10K) to get the most out of those headphones. Sennheiser's around ear headphones are the most comfy I've used, but they are very big so I'm not sure they would stay on your head at the gym. 

So does it have a light clamping pressure then? 

Something Awesome!

Just now, montyrule said:

I own the 598 normal version. At first the clamping was not bad. It was very comfortable already. I've had it for 2 years and nearly 3 now. The clamping is a little lighter than before. When new, I don't think the headphones will fall off your head. Once it gets older I think it will start shifting unless you tighten the headband. The 598 has the lightest clamp between 600 and 650. I'm not sure what other headphones you've tried but they'll be tighter than beyerdynamics. 

5 minutes ago, montyrule said:

Not sure if its that mine so old, but I've got a big head and they are pretty loose. I often forget I'm wearing them. 

i7-4790k </> GTX980Ti </> 8GB DDR3 </>  ASUS Z97-A </> 512 NVMe </> LG 27" UHD IPS LED

26 minutes ago, tomoki said:

I own the 598 normal version. At first the clamping was not bad. It was very comfortable already. I've had it for 2 years and nearly 3 now. The clamping is a little lighter than before. When new, I don't think the headphones will fall off your head. Once it gets older I think it will start shifting unless you tighten the headband. The 598 has the lightest clamp between 600 and 650. I'm not sure what other headphones you've tried but they'll be tighter than beyerdynamics. 

ah ok! Thanks

Something Awesome!

24 minutes ago, kw10001 said:

Not sure if its that mine so old, but I've got a big head and they are pretty loose. I often forget I'm wearing them. 

Oh ok, thanks

Something Awesome!

I would not use these on the go, especially that the gym. They are not compact, do not fold, and would probably get ruined pretty fast if you are sweating all over them.

On 26/11/2016 at 5:00 PM, SSL said:

I would not use these on the go, especially that the gym. They are not compact, do not fold, and would probably get ruined pretty fast if you are sweating all over them.

Cheers mate

Something Awesome!

i ordered a pair on black friday and they were delivered a few hours ago.

these are my first pair of premium head phones, I.e. not $10 earbuds lol.

so far so good. They sound good and are comfy.  The clamping pressure seems a bit light and when bent over you can feel them want to shift forward.  However they don't move beyond that.

I can confirm they do not come with a case and they aren't designed to fold up.  Also the cord is a bit short so if you plan on listening while plugged into a stationary receiver i suggest getting an extender cord.