LF Storage Solution for Veeam

Looking for a storage solution that would fit our needs as a primary backup target using Veeam. We'd like to have around 40tb usable on the appliance to fit all of our backup needs. We'd probably use the dedupe and compression methods on the Veeam side for any space savings. We're currently looking at the Netapp E series box and received a quote of $15k Canadian for 40tb. Is there anything cheaper out there that would suite our needs? Nothing fancy, just need to dump our nightly veeam backups, restore once in awhile, and that's pretty much it.

Thanks

just a cheap old server and loads of archive drives is the cheapest thing i can think of for this

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

just a cheap old server and loads of archive drives is the cheapest thing i can think of for this

I like the idea of having warrenty on the drives, drop off for dead drives, etc.. Similar to Dells pro support. The idea of old server and drives doesn't sit well with my manager. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just now, OCNcheffy said:

I like the idea of having warrenty on the drives, drop off for dead drives, etc.. Similar to Dells pro support. The idea of old server and drives doesn't sit well with my manager. Thanks for the suggestion though.

well you can probably get a new storage server pretty cheeply but i cant say for certain seeing as i dont know much about buying new servers, but i would imagine there is something for less then 15k canadian 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A Netapp just for backups???

you need 40TB = 5 Drives in Raid 5

You can go with any 2 Rackunit Server with 8-12 3.5" driveslots, build your own or take al look at thinkmate.com and configure your own supermicro server

put windows Server 2016 Standard on it and use storage pool with dedup and thin provisioning

2 hours ago, harry4742 said:

A Netapp just for backups???

you need 40TB = 5 Drives in Raid 5

You can go with any 2 Rackunit Server with 8-12 3.5" driveslots, build your own or take al look at thinkmate.com and configure your own supermicro server

put windows Server 2016 Standard on it and use storage pool with dedup and thin provisioning

Server 2016 and Storage Spaces/ReFS with Veeam doesn't actually use dedup anymore in the latest version, 9.5. It uses some nice fancy new features of ReFS to create synthetic fulls using metadata only and zero storage I/O, really nice.

Other than that totally agree, almost any server will do the job. As for warranty on the disks you get that with all enterprise disks, Netapp just does the work for you which is nice yes

We do use Netapp FAS for our backup storage but ours are 500TB each and are disk targets for Commvault, totally different situation and requirements.

As for a storage backup, have you looked into a QNAP 8 bay with 8 x 6TB drives. 2 of those sets plus rails would set you back about $15k and would enable you to have 2 systems, either both onsite or one collocated offsite.

Have you looked into replicating the data offsite in public cloud? Azure backup or Azure blob storage or even AWS might be something to consider as well. You'd be looking at about $600 a month for 40TB of Blob storage LRS in Canada east.

Were you looking purely for backups or DR too?

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

Have you looked into replicating the data offsite in public cloud?

i would never trust a public cloud, the main reason for a server is to do 24/7 task that are offloaded from a client

the cloud basically makes a server look like a client and the client look like a low-powered box that can only connect to a server/virtual system to do things

it may be beneficial for some things but if you are storing important information like taxs or credit card information on a document don't use them

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

1 hour ago, samiscool51 said:

i would never trust a public cloud, the main reason for a server is to do 24/7 task that are offloaded from a client

the cloud basically makes a server look like a client and the client look like a low-powered box that can only connect to a server/virtual system to do things

it may be beneficial for some things but if you are storing important information like taxs or credit card information on a document don't use them

Storage and other services from cloud providers such as AWS or Azure is very secure and private, that is a legal requirement they comply to. Many organizations such as Lawyers, Financial Services, Banks, Government Entities all use services from AWS.

If your interacting with a very large online commercial entity you are using AWS, the fact that you can't tell is the whole point.

There is a big difference between Dropbox, iCloud, Crashplan etc and AWS/Azure (plus other enterprise providers).

59 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Storage and other services from cloud providers such as AWS or Azure is very secure and private, that is a legal requirement they comply to.

reason not to: hacking.

(if i look like i'm angry, i've had a bad day, warning you in advance)

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

5 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

reason not to: hacking.

(if i look like i'm angry, i've had a bad day, warning you in advance)

AWS and Azure are far more secure than almost any on-prem network setup. Every breach of AWS and Azure have all been 100% confirmed as user error or choosing to ignore AWS recommendations on two factor auth for administrator accounts, and other advice.

The only reason we hear about cloud breaches is due to explicit media interest and the inability to hide the fact that it happened to you. It's much easier to hide behind a wall of silence if your 100% in control of the infrastructure, that's not more secure.

Keep in mind I'm not an advocate for using the cloud and I personally think the charges are way too high, just hate on them for valid reasons ;).

On 18/11/2016 at 3:10 PM, Apollo Refugio said:

How come they don't offer that package on comcast's website? Is it like a private service?

To do offsite backups, you've got two options. Colocate your own target in a DC or use a cloud provider. Colocating your own target is a large capEx with ongoing opEx versus using Azure or AWS as an opEx. For Australia, most of the Azure stuff resides within NexDC.

Sure I can go and colocate a backup target in NextDC but at an extrodinary ongoing cost. Or I can pay Azure $80 a month to host 2TB of cool LRS storage for me at M1 instead. Thus I don't have to fork out thousands for the upfront cost of the storage target and arrange the setup of it.

Is cloud perfect? Not by a long shot however it will generally have the same if not better security capability compared to doing things yourself.

Generally you'll see businesses doing their own offsite backups when they have other equipment in collocation and have a DR policy setup. Eg collocation in a DC in city A for their servers with replication for failover to a DC in city B.