Eve V: The First-Ever Crowd Developed Computer (Surface Like PC)

Mihle
52 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Dam it autocorrect changed words... Better now?

Gotcha now :) 

Ya I know how the deal is, but this time it actually sounds like a real deal thing that I may want to invest in, that or wait for the final product to be released to the public and purchase it that way. Most like the later will happen knowing myself. meh.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Pretty cool but I'm betting it will be a lot more expensive than the backer price when it finally hits the market.

Also, the lack of any kind of external video port is kind of confusing. Seems like a huge oversight.

Does the pen fit into the body? That'd be a huge plus IMO.

6 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

The specs seem promising at that price.  Design looks good.  It's all up to manufacturing to pull it off now!  If they don't sell enough units, economies of scale might not kick in and price could go way up?

I don't think so, but it'll definitely go up if it ever launches as a retail product.

5 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Looks good with even more useful ports than the new MacBook Pro :)

But it also runs W10 so that's an instant no-no.

You don't like W10? Odd. I like it.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Goes to show how full of crap some companies are when they ask 1400$ for similar hardware.

Doesn't really work that way. They didn't have to pay anything for marketing. They didn't have to pay any employee costs, let alone the salary of the 1,000 people that apparently worked on it. That would raise the price quite substantially.

I'd also wonder how many hardware iterations they went through. Most manufacturers try several before finding one that's the most ideal.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Microsoft have invested in the company, and helped to make the product better.

would not expect this of microsoft

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Pretty cool but I'm betting it will be a lot more expensive than the backer price when it finally hits the market.

Also, the lack of any kind of external video port is kind of confusing. Seems like a huge oversight.

Does the pen fit into the body? That'd be a huge plus IMO.

There is thunderbolt 3 (USB C). So it will support external displays trough an adapter.
The pen will not fit into the body, just look at its size compared to the Eve V:

Spoiler

jpqbvrmdzu4owxdw9uqo.jpg

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Doesn't really work that way. They didn't have to pay anything for marketing. They didn't have to pay any employee costs, let alone the salary of the 1,000 people that apparently worked on it. That would raise the price quite substantially.

I'd also wonder how many hardware iterations they went through. Most manufacturers try several before finding one that's the most ideal.

They dont have to pay employee cost for those 1000, but they do for those that actually work for the company.

3 hours ago, themaniac said:

Its little bit strange, yes, as it is a direct competitor to Surface, but It does run pure windows 10 and might be able to buy in the Microsoft Store when it comes to retail.
What Microsoft did is pretty much help them get Windows 10 work perfectly with all the Windows 10 features and stuff like that.

Microsoft have changed to the better after they got a new CEO.

Intel helped the company with the design of the cooling solution and things like that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

17 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

There is thunderbolt 3 (USB C). So it will support external displays trough an adapter.
The pen will not fit into the body, just look at its size compared to the Eve V:

Reveal hidden contents

jpqbvrmdzu4owxdw9uqo.jpg

They dont have to pay employee cost for those 1000, but they do for those that actually work for the company.

I'm aware. I was simply pointing out that the other companies that it's compared to DO have to pay those overheads, and as a result their costs are higher.

I don't think Thunderbolt is an appropriate replacement for a standard connector yet. An adapter isn't a great solution either.

A mini HDMI/DP port takes up hardly any room.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I think it's pretty interesting though I have concerns about build quality, Microsoft is on par with Apple in that regard so it will be hard for a company this small to match it. Also the pen is barely mentioned in the marketing so it seems like more of an afterthought as opposed to a core feature like the surface. Then again the lower price is more attractive and for students the lower powered Y series won't matter too much.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

2 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

I think it's pretty interesting though I have concerns about build quality, Microsoft is on par with Apple in that regard so it will be hard for a company this small to match it. Also the pen is barely mentioned in the marketing so it seems like more of an afterthought as opposed to a core feature like the surface. Then again the lower price is more attractive and for students the lower powered Y series won't matter too much.

We can wait and see :)

I am guessing the pen is the same tech as surface 4.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

17 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That resolution though. 

It's identical to the Pro 4's resolution.

12 hours ago, Sauron said:

Goes to show how full of crap some companies are when they ask 1400$ for similar hardware.

The CPUs listed are 4.5w CPUs formerly called "Core M". That's not worth $1400. Much less $1000.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I'm glad Eve learned a lesson from Microsoft about making batteries of a reasonable size.

Sits and looks at Pro 4 with 39Whr battery......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

46 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The CPUs listed are 4.5w CPUs formerly called "Core M". That's not worth $1400. Much less $1000.

Tell that to the macbook...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Specs are cool and all but what about support? What happens when one of these inevitably breaks?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'm aware. I was simply pointing out that the other companies that it's compared to DO have to pay those overheads, and as a result their costs are higher.

I don't think Thunderbolt is an appropriate replacement for a standard connector yet. An adapter isn't a great solution either.

A mini HDMI/DP port takes up hardly any room.

True, I do not disagree. Dongle free is the best. I dont know why they didnt have mini DP, I wish it had. but for me it isnt deal breaking (if I could afford it) because I dont really use external screens with my laptop, and when I need to do it in school, its always VGA. And having VGA on a new computer today is stupid if it isnt like a lenovo or something.

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle Gaming said:

True, I do not disagree. Dongle free is the best. I dont know why they didnt have mini DP, I wish it had. but for me it isnt deal breaking (if I could afford it) because I dont really use external screens with my laptop, and when I need to do it in school, its always VGA. And having VGA on a new computer today is stupid if it isnt like a lenovo or something.

Oh me either, I just know tonnnnnnnns of people that do need that functionality.

Not gonna lie, I almost bought one. But I already have an 8" tablet and a 13" ultrabook so it just didn't have justification.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ObeseWalrus said:

Specs are cool and all but what about support? What happens when one of these inevitably breaks?

It says on indiegogo that devices have 2 year warranty 

51 minutes ago, Nizkus said:

It says on indiegogo that devices have 2 year warranty 

That's all fine until the company get so many returns that they can't process them properly or worse: if they go bankrupt. Then you're fucked.

20 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

probably will, but my idea of a E-GPU is just a Thunderbolt 3 to PCIe 16x slot cable, a big as all hell GPU and a 300W PSU :P so basically bulky as all hell lol

I had the razer blade stealth, bought some tools for custom e-GPU but the HDMI to USBC ran out of stock on amazon.. I had to return my RBS so didn't get to test it. But I'm for sure the external PCIE x16 with HDMI to HDMI on laptop doesn't work.

1 minute ago, LegendKillerRG said:

I had the razer blade stealth, bought some tools for custom e-GPU but the HDMI to USBC ran out of stock on amazon.. I had to return my RBS so didn't get to test it. But I'm for sure the external PCIE x16 with HDMI to HDMI on laptop doesn't work.

i just wish i could rip out the wifi card in my laptop from school and stick a PCIe 1x to 16x converter cable in there and run one of my GTX 660s instead of the shitty FirePro GPU thats equivlent of a GTX660m which is about as bad as it gets whist still beeing able to play games at 1080p lol, wont do 60fps at 1080p on lowest settings in CS:GO xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

We can wait and see :)

I am guessing the pen is the same tech as surface 4.

Yeah it certainly doesn't look like Wacom, however the pen tech being the same doesn't necessarily mean the implementation is as good.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

• 6 months later...

-Stephen Hawking

On 11/22/2016 at 10:05 PM, themaniac said:

The original goal of the surface line is to force OEMs to make better more premium products. They would rather sell you software then hardware.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Looks nice and interesting.  I'll wait to see how it runs on Linux before I'd spend money on it though.  Win10 is a big no-no.