Recommendation for 5Ghz access point

FattyDave

I've recently deployed a pfsense router using my virgin media superhub 5 in modem only mode. As such I now need a new solution for WiFi.

I had a plan to re purpose a Draytek AP 800 from work that we don't need anymore but I've just noticed that this doesn't actually support 5GHz natively.

I will only need 1 for now as the flat isn't that big and I will mount centrally (also needs to have PoE) but perhaps having something that will work well with multiple APs in the future for when we move to a large house.

Price wise I don't have a huge budget but good to spend more and buy once...

Oh and it needs to be white to keep the wife happy!

Thanks in advance.

I have two Ubiquiti unifi AP AC PROS installed. While they don't have the absolute highest throughput possible, they're very reliable. They're easy to set up and have worked flawlessly since I installed them 7 months ago.  

I'd consider looking at used Aruba gear on ebay, be sure to buy the IAP variant, which has the ability to run without a controller. Choose according to your budget. 

Ac1900 class like the asus ac68U or netgear r7000. You can also get the lowest end ubiquiti AC AP too but the r7000 is better at handling more clients (like 100 clients)

8 hours ago, historicalpoultry said:

I have two Ubiquiti unifi AP AC PROS installed. While they don't have the absolute highest throughput possible, they're very reliable. They're easy to set up and have worked flawlessly since I installed them 7 months ago.  

I have one of those in my house to and it work amazing! I would recommend them for sure. Here is a link: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Thanks all. Very helpful.

Ubiquiti line seems like the favourite although I will look out for some Aruba IAP stuff thanks SEM.

On the ubiquiti the Lite vs Pro is it really worth the £50 more?

Thanks again

4 hours ago, FattyDave said:

Thanks all. Very helpful.

Ubiquiti line seems like the favourite although I will look out for some Aruba IAP stuff thanks SEM.

On the ubiquiti the Lite vs Pro is it really worth the £50 more?

Thanks again

The Lite covered my house, but I have a fairly large yard and streaming music wouldn't always work when I was mowing, so I upgraded to the Pro and it covers nearly an acre just fine. The Lite was much slower at the edges of its coverage compared to the Pro, but if you are in an apartment the Lite should work just fine.

One downside to the Lite is that it uses Ubquiti's 24V POE solution, so you have to use their (included) adapter or one of their POE switches. The Pro uses the standardized 48V POE so any POE switch will work it it. The Pro also has a gigabit out ethernet port so you can connect another device downstream from it, which could come in handy in some cases.