Citizen Proximity Watch - Half a Smart Watch (The Better Half?)

denarced

Would you rather buy  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather buy

• Something like a Citizen proximity watch
    • Smart watch
    • Turnip

Seems like Citizen is releasing watches that are synced to your phone via Bluetooth to deliver some of the more used features of smart watches. You get notifications about calls and texts. Comparing the latter to smart watches it's a notification instead of the text itself. Personally I like Citizen watches. I have several. I have found that their Eco Drive watches (solar powered) are rock solid. I live in Finland. It's not exactly a sunny place but the watch has never stopped. They claim that their proximity watches never run out of battery because they're also Eco Drive watches so at best it could be better than smart watches on the battery life department; something that @LinusTech has in numerous videos raised as a very important issue with smart watches. This could be for me even thou the price gives me second thoughts (~$600 - $650). It's also a real watch. Something that you're not embarrassed to wear like most of the smart watches although the current models aren't exactly my style. It merely adds some convenient features without making you shake your arm to see the time or constantly keep charging it because it can't make it through the day. I'd be interested to see what the other watch manufacturers have up their sleeve :) (worst quip ever).

Could be an OK idea for a video.

i7 3770 | Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 | Kingston HyperX Blu 16 GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

Fractal Design Define R4 | Nexus RX-8500 850W | Asus P8Z68-V-PRO/GEN3 | 2 x Asus 24.1" PA248Q

“An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.” – Niels Bohr

I can build a pc with monitor and more functionality for that price nope nope. Oh and a copy of windows has clock too

looks nice, functionality seems nice, but price is wayyyy beyond reasonable.

my current smartwatch (1st gen moto 360) makes it through the day on a single charge, actually lets me read the texts i'm getting and is very sensitive as to when the disply turns on, so i'm never shaking my arm around like a maniac. also, i bought it for 100 euro's secondhand.

so yeah, i won't be switching any time soon :P

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I can build a pc with monitor and more functionality for that price nope nope. Oh and a copy of windows has clock too

Up until now and probably for some to come that's my choice as well. Except for the Windows part. Plus a nice shining piece on my wrist :) But I'm thinking about that Citizen proximity watch. Eventually I'll buy a new watch. It'll be solar powered. Maybe even proximity watch..

i7 3770 | Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 | Kingston HyperX Blu 16 GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

Fractal Design Define R4 | Nexus RX-8500 850W | Asus P8Z68-V-PRO/GEN3 | 2 x Asus 24.1" PA248Q

“An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.” – Niels Bohr

Just now, denarced said:

Up until now and probably for some to come that's my choice as well. Except for the Windows part. Plus a nice shining piece on my wrist :) But I'm thinking about that Citizen proximity watch. Eventually I'll buy a new watch. It'll be solar powered. Maybe even proximity watch..

I can make my PC case shiny too though. And even glow

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

my current smartwatch (1st gen moto 360) makes it through the day on a single charge, actually lets me read the texts i'm getting and is very sensitive as to when the disply turns on, so i'm never shaking my arm around like a maniac. also, i bought it for 100 euro's secondhand.

What are the main functionalities that you use? Read texts obviously. Is the primary function still to check out the time? Something complicated like tweets or facebook?

Just now, denarced said:

What are the main functionalities that you use? Read texts obviously. Is the primary function still to check out the time? Something complicated like tweets or facebook?

the only things i use it for now are checking the time mainly, and reading texts and whatsapp messages. to be honest this things was kind of a impulse buy :P

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Hopefully not radioactive thou :)

my pebble was 29€ , battery life of 9 days on average and has all i need ,

a timer , a compass ,notifications , call and music control , weather and various other functions that are neat 

also casio made a watch like this for like what ? 199 or 299? 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

i vote nope

if it's not self-winding, i'm not interested 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

also casio made a watch like this for like what ? 199 or 299?

Hmm. The first one I found on Amazon is $500: Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch. Seems they have a different approach when compared to Citizen. More of a man-of-the-nature. Plus this seems to be a smart watch although at this point I'm having a hard time making the distinction. At least battery life would suggest that this is a smart because it isn't that great.

57 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

if it's not self-winding, i'm not interested

Hmm. Solar powered isn't self-winding?

Just now, denarced said:

Hmm. The first one I found on Amazon is $500: Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch. Seems they have a different approach when compared to Citizen. More of a man-of-the-nature. Plus this seems to be a smart watch although at this point I'm having a hard time making the distinction. At least battery life would suggest that this is a smart because it isn't that great.

hmm no thats not the one , might have been a different brand , saw an ad on tv for it , looked similar to the citizen watch but was def. not that brand 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, denarced said:

Hmm. Solar powered isn't self-winding?

nope

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

my pebble was 29€ , battery life of 9 days on average and has all i need ,

a timer , a compass ,notifications , call and music control , weather and various other functions that are neat

At least as far as battery life goes in smart watches, Pebble is hard to beat. They got that nailed. Haven't heard that any other smart watch came even close.

Eh I'm still not sold on the whole smart watch thing. I have a Fitbit that I wear that vibrates when I have a call, text or whatever, and I don't even find that overly useful. Then again I'm not really the target market, as I don't really want to be tethered to my device every second of the day.

I think Samsung is going to nail the smartwatch first. Their S3 doesn't run off Android Wear, and as a result gets multiple day battery life.

If I want to wear a watch, I put on my MontBlanc or Marathon. Something that will last forever without ever needing a battery replacement.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I'd love to see you try and put that on your wrist ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, RollinLower said:

I call bs on that. The one i bought brand new lasted maybe 4 or 5 hours with normal use. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Watches and PCs can't be compared, the former is very much a fashion statement and compared to some of the other products out there without any smart features $650 is damn cheap.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I never understood the market appeal to smart watches.. cost the same and does less than smartphones. 

I understand fitness trackers, but those cost 6 times as less. 

Is it that hard to take 1 second to get your phone out of your pocket rather than spend $600 or whatever it is for something that does the same thing 

edit: also.. is all it does is give you a notification of a text/call? Why is that a thing if your phone vibrates anyways 

10 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I call bs on that. The one i bought brand new lasted maybe 4 or 5 hours with normal use. 

Man you probably bought a shitty unit then. mine easily lasts the day, even when i'm recieving lots of messages and calls.

You should look into RMAing yours if it lasts that short

Smartwatches are stupid. I have a watch that can go 50m deep, costs $50, and never needs to recharge. Have a notification? Guess what, my phone vibrates? Need to read texts? SURPRISE! I HAVE A FUCKING PHOE FOR THAT.

- snip-

Just a reminder to everyone is that citizen watches usually cost over $400 so this price for this one is on the lower end for their brand. This is for watch people first. I like it and might consider getting it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc