GTX 680: To buy or not to buy.

Hey all,

I am currently using a 750 ti and i play games like BF4, Forza horizon 3, CS:GO etc... and i am thinking about buying this GTX 680 i found for 100 euro's. Should i?

P.S

I can't save up, this is my birthday gift basically

1 minute ago, Dispentry said:

Hey all,

I am currently using a 750 ti and i play games like BF4, Forza horizon 3, CS:GO etc... and i am thinking about buying this GTX 680 i found for 100 euro's. Should i?

P.S

I can't save up, this is my birthday gift basically

Eh, 100 euros for a 680 is pretty decent. If you can't find anything like a 770/780/290 or something like that around there, go right ahead.

Ive got a pair of 670's and even running a single one is ok for most games that came out a couple years ago at max. Newer games will definitely require lowering settings.

100E isn't a steal, but I think its a pretty fair price. Try to haggle!

When in doubt, re-format.

A 680 is a 770, which iirc gets outperformed by the 1050, which is selling for 120 euros and is an architecture that will get driver supports much longer into the future and will draw a lot less power.

bougt a 680 for my brother for $50, $100 is a bit much tbh but if you cant save up another $40 or so to get a GTX 970/980 then i guess its decent but take a look around for what else is available

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Not when a 1050 Ti is over 20% faster, runs cooler, and probably quieter too.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

bougt a 680 for my brother for $50, $100 is a bit much tbh but if you cant save up another $40 or so to get a GTX 970/980 then i guess its decent but take a look around for what else is available

i tried buying a 970 but i got scammed out of my money.

21 minutes ago, Ronda said:

A 680 is a 770, which iirc gets outperformed by the 1050, which is selling for 120 euros and is an architecture that will get driver supports much longer into the future and will draw a lot less power.

Not where i live.

+ my parents settled on 100 euro's max

Just now, Dispentry said:

i tried buying a 970 but i got scammed out of my money.

well thats sad, this will preform a lot worse then a 970 and is a LOT worse value tbh but its not a bad card and will probably do what you want but i wouldent buy it for $100 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Not when a 1050 Ti is over 20% faster, runs cooler, and probably quieter too.

My only complaint is that they're using a 2GB version of the 680. Would've liked to see if the 4GB version was any better.

7 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

My only complaint is that they're using a 2GB version of the 680. Would've liked to see if the 4GB version was any better.

The 4GB version is also going to be more expensive to buy used than the 2GB version.

Furthermore, how much faster is the 4GB version of the 680? From what I understand, performance is still going to be bottlenecked by the graphics processor, rather than the available VRAM.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

The 4GB version is also going to be more expensive to buy used than the 2GB version.

Furthermore, how much faster is the 4GB version of the 680? From what I understand, performance is still going to be bottlenecked by the graphics processor, rather than the available VRAM.

Newer games like their vram, cards with even 4gb like the the gtx 980 are loosing a lot of performance due to this.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/mafia-iii-vga-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,6.html

If you even look at 1080p in this benchmark a 390 with 8gb of vram is doing better then a 980 with only 4gb, it is with dx11 also, the only way to explain it is the lack of vram.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

On 11/15/2016 at 11:39 PM, Aereldor said:

If you're going to talk about the 680,might as well take into account all of them. And the more VRAM, less of a chance that's a bottleneck.

Don't buy it. Guess you gotta wait until Christmas or next birthday. 750ti is still a fine card. You're basically wasting 100 Eurostar for not that much performance.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

On 11/16/2016 at 4:39 AM, Aereldor said:

my gtx 770 is limited by vram in gta :/ with project 3.5GB+ on 1080p highest resolution

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

try looking at used r9 290's . they've fallen in price by quite a lot.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case