Microsoft is bringing Visual Studio to the Mac

AlTech

Microsoft, the company behind a variety of products including Visual Studio, is planning to bring Visual Studio to the Mac.

Disclaimer: But I wouldn't hold my breath! It's probably gonna be terrible. It kind of looks awful from the one screenshot we have.

Oh and before you read further, from now I'm gonna format my tech news posts differently so that opinionated content is in green and non opinionated content is in automatic font.

visual-studio-mac.jpg

This is what Microsoft had to say:

At its heart, Visual Studio for Mac is a macOS counterpart of the Windows version of Visual Studio. If you enjoy the Visual Studio development experience, but need or want to use macOS, you should feel right at home. Its UX is inspired by Visual Studio, yet designed to look and feel like a native citizen of macOS. And like Visual Studio for Windows, it's complemented by Visual Studio Code for times when you don't need a full IDE, but want a lightweight yet rich standalone source editor

My first reaction: Are you fucking serious? For real? Goddamnit Microsoft! Why do you do this??!!!

My guess is that VS for Mac will be limited to developing Windows 10 UWP apps, Xamarin Mac, Android and IOS Apps. Probably nothing more or less.

At this point I'm so confused. Apple is taking the Mac less seriously but Microsoft is taking it more seriously. Why is Microsoft removing a major selling point of Windows? Why develop on Windows if a Mac can do it? What's the point?

Developing on Windows is better regardless of this awful decision.

I'm quite disappointed in Microsoft TBH. This would be the equivalent of Apple bringing iWork to PCs via native desktop apps.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-bring-visual-studio-mac-november

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh and before you read further, from now I'm gonna format my tech news posts differently so that opinionated content is in red and non opinionated content is in automatic font.

red is awful to read imo

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

My first reaction: Are you fucking serious? For real? Goddamnit Microsoft! Why do you do this??!!!... Why is Microsoft removing a major selling point of Windows? Why develop on Windows if a Mac can do it? What's the point?

You forgot something with that sir:

Spoiler

YOUR SALT:

Image result for salt mine

-------

Current Rig

-------

iOS is not MAC, it's for iPhones and iPads

at 1st I didn't understood why would MS bother developing Visual Studio for MAC OS - it's because it's not for MAC OS, it's for Apple's phones and tablets and Android

it's still laughable, but at least they're trying to get back some market share; even if it's through developing apps

Also developing is quite possible and straight forward on all platforms: OS X (Or whatever it's called this days) Linux and Windows. This is Microsoft trying to extend the reach of their brand, did you forget that coincidentally, you can also get Visual Studio for Linux?

https://code.visualstudio.com/download

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

iOS is not MAC, it's for iPhones and iPads

at 1st I didn't understood why would MS bother developing Visual Studio for MAC OS - it's because it's not for MAC OS, it's for Apple's phones and tablets and Android

it's still laughable, but at least they're trying to get back some market share; even if it's through developing apps

Why not mac? They can do it for Macs with Xamarin.Mac .....

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Also developing is quite possible and straight forward on all platforms: OS X (Or whatever it's called this days) Linux and Windows. This is Microsoft trying to extend the reach of their brand, did you forget that coincidentally, you can also get Visual Studio for Linux?

You mean their stripped down code editor? VS Code? Yeah that's available on Windows, Mac and Linux but i'm not a huge fan of it.

The fact that it shares the same name as Visual Studio is disgusting as it's really misleading.

28 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

red is awful to read imo

Fine. Pick any colour other than white and black...... And I'll try to stick with it.

EDIT: Is orange better?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Pandalf said:

Too bad they are not bringing it to Linux instead.

Lol. If they brought it to Linux then you wouldn't be able to develop IOS and Mac apps. You'd only be able to develop Android Apps. but I don't think Xamarin ever made Xamarin Studio for Linux.

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why not mac? They can do it for Macs with Xamarin.Mac .....

Apple has their own IDE for MAC OS, XCode - and not only! it works also for iOS, watch OS, tv OS

why would anyone would develop apps for Mac OS on anything but XCode?! is it not maintained anymore!? is it buggy?! not up with the times?!

outside being a hobby or for educational purposes, people develop apps for iOS for money - and the best tools are already available

4 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

Too bad they are not bringing it to Linux instead.

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Visual Studio is a full blown IDE, whereas Visual Studio Code is just an editor.

I guess MonoDevelop is enough.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

They're completely different things with the same first 2 words in their name....

15 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

the orange is really painful to read

Changed it to green......... but it makes it more annoying for dark theme users.

So it's basically Atom?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

So it's basically Atom?

No. It's essentially Visual Studio but designed for Mac and with only the tools to make IOS and Android apps. I wouldn't describe it as being like Atom.

"Devs are in the wrong for not supporting uwp!" 

Microsoft builds a visual studio like software for mac os*

"wtf miscroshit"

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

With how heavily Microsoft marketed Windows 10, I don't understand this. You would think they would push Visual Studio more for Windows and then when Mac users see it they then realize that they should move to Windows. It's logic.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Reading other news site about this, it seems the main reason to port VS to macOS is for azure development and the first version of it won't support development of windows apps, that's coming later, also it seems this is based out of the xamarin editor but i could be talking out of my ass in this since i only read it in one site and not others.

All their doing is pushing azure development for this, at least ATM, you still need windows to make windows software, and with how quirky windows is, deving windows app on mac vs using ms dependencies is adding another layer of shit to deal with. its going to be a PITA just for the sake of using apple overrated and also somewhat neglected OS. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

33 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

With how heavily Microsoft marketed Windows 10, I don't understand this. You would think they would push Visual Studio more for Windows and then when Mac users see it they then realize that they should move to Windows. It's logic.

Professional C++, C#, .NET, and F# developers, multiplied by $10,000 for every enterprise license. IBM exclusively uses MacBook Pros now. That's a lot of licenses for VS if Microsoft can get them.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

-10 for removing the cool black theme.

Back on topic, I feel like C# is going to become even more popular with Microsoft opening up more and more.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

6 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

-10 for removing the cool black theme.

Back on topic, I feel like C# is going to become even more popular with Microsoft opening up more and more.

It certainly has its appeals over Java for web development imho.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

So it's basically Atom?

If I'm not mistaken, MS said that VS Code is an Atom fork. But don't quote me on that :P 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)