Help with cpu choosing! i5 6600, 6600k, i7 6700

I use the computer for gaming, and im buying a new CPU. I did some research and people say that for gaming i7 6700 won't increase performance compared to a i5 6600 as I confirmed watching benchmarks results. Im currently thinking about either a i5 6600, i7 6700 and after watching Linus's 2016 CPU review the i5 6600k. The diffrence of price between the 6600 to the 6600k is around 8% and to the i7 6700 is 30% in my country. My questions are: 1. I know the i7 won't help in games performance but I usually have other programs open with my games like iTunes, chrome tabs open on streams or youtube videos and some other things, having those extra cores will be worth the extra 30% and help not drop fps in my game or what, I saw this video

and I can see that the load on the 6600 the cores are at 100% load and have some decrease in the fps of the game more than the i7 did. Ofc the guy opened like 20 browser tabs but still it seemed to help having those extra cores for multi-tasking but would YOU say it's worth it the extra 30% or 20 tabs is really an overkill and a i5 can handle itunes and something like 5 tabs with a heavy game without dropping frames?

2. If the answer to 1 is, no it's still not worth it the 30% extra then im looking between i5 6600 and 6600k, I don't know how to overclock and I'd rather not to in fear of doing something wrong, Is it still worth the extra 8% just for the 0,2 increase in the base frequency?

Keep in mind Im building the computer to last at least 4 years without changing anything like my last build, I already have an EVGA 970 SSC so Im not using those 30% to buy a better gpu or anything like that.

Thank you for your attention. Have a nice day!

i would go with a 6600, opening browser tabs and such depends more on your ram capacity than the power of your CPU, some CPU intensive games may run better with a 6700 though (big, open world games) using the saved money on a better GPU or more ram might be wise

6600k since you can oc it to make it faster than a 6700 but you need a z170 mobo for that

Normally I'd suggest the 6600k it is plenty of CPU for gaming. But if you have the money right now then I'd suggest before 12 PM ET/9 PM PT using promo code CFLASHNOV16 for 15 off of 60 USD purchase on ebay and buying MonoPrice's 6700k off of ebay for 300 USD. Making the total 285 USD compared to 6600k 246 USD, I'd say that price difference is worth the performance.

PROMOCODE: http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2016/1109/CFLASHNOV16.html?rmvSB=true

6700k: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371717261626?rmvSB=true

MonoPrice is a "legit" seller, they have their own site (http://www.monoprice.com/) and are have 99.8% feedback on ebay.

Offer ends in 1 hour 10 minutes if you don't want to set the timezones.

CPU: I5-6600k | MOBO: MSI Z170-A XPOWER Gaming Titanium Edition | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO |RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2800 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition | Case: MasterCase Pro 5 | Storage: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB, WD Blue 1 TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz | Keyboard:Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Headset: Logitech Artemis G933 | PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sfgGjc

5 hours ago, Daniel1234 said:

I use the computer for gaming, and im buying a new CPU. I did some research and people say that for gaming i7 6700 won't increase performance compared to a i5 6600 as I confirmed watching benchmarks results. Im currently thinking about either a i5 6600, i7 6700 and after watching Linus's 2016 CPU review the i5 6600k. The diffrence of price between the 6600 to the 6600k is around 8% and to the i7 6700 is 30% in my country. My questions are: 1. I know the i7 won't help in games performance but I usually have other programs open with my games like iTunes, chrome tabs open on streams or youtube videos and some other things, having those extra cores will be worth the extra 30% and help not drop fps in my game or what, I saw this video

and I can see that the load on the 6600 the cores are at 100% load and have some decrease in the fps of the game more than the i7 did. Ofc the guy opened like 20 browser tabs but still it seemed to help having those extra cores for multi-tasking but would YOU say it's worth it the extra 30% or 20 tabs is really an overkill and a i5 can handle itunes and something like 5 tabs with a heavy game without dropping frames?

2. If the answer to 1 is, no it's still not worth it the 30% extra then im looking between i5 6600 and 6600k, I don't know how to overclock and I'd rather not to in fear of doing something wrong, Is it still worth the extra 8% just for the 0,2 increase in the base frequency?

Keep in mind Im building the computer to last at least 4 years without changing anything like my last build, I already have an EVGA 970 SSC so Im not using those 30% to buy a better gpu or anything like that.

Thank you for your attention. Have a nice day!

Watch this video instead

I don't feel like trusting an unknown channel but our lord saviour should do

an i5 6500, or i5 6600 will be fine for your purpose. Or if you feel like overclocking then i5 6600K. all really depends on how much you want to spend. with the i5 gen 6 range, as cost increase, so does performance, but value (performance/price) remains relatively constant. your pick

Come on guys it's like some of you didn't even read my questions. I don't know how to overclock and won't do it. :T

4 minutes ago, Daniel1234 said:

Come on guys it's like some of you didn't even read my questions. I don't know how to overclock and won't do it. :T

An overclocked i5-6600k will have a faster single core performance which in turn give you better minimum and average framerates in games, cheaper as well.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

The real value of overclocking is a few years down the line when the CPU starts to struggle so you can get a performance boost. You don't just pay more for the CPU. You need a Z motherboard and a new cooler.

I'd say go for the 6500. The performance difference between it and the 6600 is negligible for the price difference.  

That's an F in the profile pic

Long story short, my i5 4440 and i7 4790K after I disabled hyperthreading struggled in some games (even Skyrim with mods) due to all cores being under heavy load from the games, leaving very little power for background processes and other programs. So if you can afford it, go with an i7 6700 over an i5 6600K, and an i7 6700K as being the best option overall, with the longest useful life. As for those saying you need a Z series motherboard for overclocking, you actually don't if the multiplier is unlocked-my 4790K in the past was running at 4.8GHz on my H87M Pro fully stable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Long story short, my i5 4440 and i7 4790K after I disabled hyperthreading struggled in some games (even Skyrim with mods) due to all cores being under heavy load from the games, leaving very little power for background processes and other programs. So if you can afford it, go with an i7 6700 over an i5 6600K, and an i7 6700K as being the best option overall, with the longest useful life. As for those saying you need a Z series motherboard for overclocking, you actually don't if the multiplier is unlocked-my 4790K in the past was running at 4.8GHz on my H87M Pro fully stable.

Not that's some interesting answer, even if I wanted to overclock a i7 6700k + water cooler + a more expensive motherboard would go out of my price range, but knowing those threads can make a difference in heavy load games witch is the case for most games I play is good to know.

5 minutes ago, Daniel1234 said:

Not that's some interesting answer, even if I wanted to overclock a i7 6700k + water cooler + a more expensive motherboard would go out of my price range, but knowing those threads can make a difference in heavy load games witch is the case for most games I play is good to know.

Running your 6700K at stock for a while would be just fine, so you would at best need only a cheap tower air cooler (which would also be a good backup cooler in the future), and as for the motherboard, go with one that has the features you need while.

As it is it took a further 6 months to replace my H87M Pro with a Z97 Sabertooth MKII, and I had by that point managed to get a Seidon 120V (original version) for $55 (which is about half the price of the newer version). And that AIO manages to handle my 4790K overclocked to 4.8GHz 24/7. But with cheap AIO like that, its a good idea to get far better fan for it due to most included fans being crap (in regards to noise) unless you get a high end cooler.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Daniel1234 said:

if you don't want to overclock, there is no performance reason to buy a k series chip, other than a very marginal clock speed increase that you really wont notice all that much. however, there is still a bit of incentive there. if you have a z170 mobo and the k series chip, it does 2 things. first it lets you have the OPTION to OC. I have a 6600k in my system with a full blown 1080 in it. its not coming close to a bottleneck soooooo im gonna not overclock it. however, if there comes a day (there always does) where you feel like your cpu is falling short, you can buy yourself a year or two with a fat OC, letting new technologies come out and delaying any builds youd need to do. so you save money on that small investment. secondly, the k series chips also sell for more when that time comes. usually for almost exactly the premium you paid for it in the first place. I like to think of the K, as a security deposit, it hurts putting it down originally; but if you take care of the chip, you'll get it back.

SIDE NOTE.... the 6600... if it is in fact 8% cheaper than its k series brother, the 6600k is just under 5% faster at its boost clock. so youre getting an evvvvver so slight cut at cost:performance for the ability to OC and resell later.

hope this helped you with your decision (also, the only thing youd need a 6700k in your situation is if you decided to stream on twitch or something...threads really perform well there)

damn..  I still don't know what to buy maybe I'll wait for blackfriday and see if any promotion come around.