Z170 vs x99

Hello I'm planning to build myself an all around pc that is future proof. The problem I'm having is what would be more bang for my buck. Also I'm willing to spend a little extra if needed. Any Suggestions would be helpful. Cheers!!!

Z170

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RAMPAGE24680/saved/7vq3CJ

X99

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RAMPAGE24680/saved/66q3CJ

What exactly do you do with your computer?

I don't really think you'd make the most of X99. Most don't need it, and the higher clock of the 6700k chips are better.

As for your build, do you actually need 32GB of RAM?
You don't really need all those fans.

No GPU?

Welcome to the forum!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

For gaming Z170 will be better because it connects your PCI-E directly with your CPU but X99 can also show significant advantage in other purpose .

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't really think you'd make the most of X99. Most don't need it, and the higher clock of the 6700k chips are better.

No GPU?

Welcome to the forum!

I im just trying to make the most to what I have. I have a gtx 1070. I Plan to edit, game, and maybe stream. I'm just trying to build a pc that will be future and upgradeable proof

4 minutes ago, RAMPAGE24680 said:

I im just trying to make the most to what I have. I have a gtx 1070. I Plan to edit, game, and maybe stream. I'm just trying to build a pc that will be future and upgradeable proof

X99

10 minutes ago, Towsif Rahman said:

For gaming Z170 will be better because it connects your PCI-E directly with your CPU 

Both 1151 and 2011 connect PCIE straight from the cpu to the gpu.

x99/2011 has a much better pcie layout.

10 minutes ago, RAMPAGE24680 said:

I'd just go with the 6700k. I imagine you're editing is quite basic, and gaming is your main focus.

"Maybe stream" can still easily be done on an 6700k.

Nothing's futureproof and unless you're doing very intensive photoshop work I doubt you'll ever make use of that 32GB of memory.

It's a waste of money.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What will you be using your PC for? For gaming and general usage Z170 is better. If you are doing video editing, 3D work, streaming etc then you might want to go with X99

Edited by Matias_Chambers

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

No GPU?

Welcome to the forum!

11 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

What will you be using your PC for? For gaming and general usage Z170 is better. If you are doing video editing, 3D work, streaming etc then you might want to go with X99

Mainly Gaming, but I don't want to be held back when I want to get into editingand streaming more

23 hours ago, RAMPAGE24680 said:

Mainly Gaming, but I don't want to be held back when I want to get into editingand streaming more

Hey I've been asking the same question , since people have left some insightful info on my thread , maybe worth a once over 

2 hours ago, Juggern0ttt said:

Hey I've been asking the same question , since people have left some insightful info on my thread , maybe worth a once over 

Yea lol its a hard decision to make but I feeling more on the i7 6700k because I can max that system out more than I can going to 6800k, but I keep flip flopping so I don't know yet. When you get it tell me plz so I can base it off of you since we want to do similar things

3 hours ago, RAMPAGE24680 said:

Yea lol its a hard decision to make but I feeling more on the i7 6700k because I can max that system out more than I can going to 6800k, but I keep flip flopping so I don't know yet. When you get it tell me plz so I can base it off of you since we want to do similar things

I'm moving to the 5820k, slots between the 6700k and 6800k in performance . I think it's a good common ground. Should provide a solid boost to things like encoding and streaming for only about 30$ more than a 6700 setup at microcenter anyways. At least that is what all my insight points too. 

There ain't no future proofing when boards comes out with ddr5 and gpu runs on pcie 4.0

Out of the 2, 1151 gives your performance now, while x99 gives performance for the long term, when it comes to core count. 6800K officially supports 128gb of ram and turbo boost 3.0

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Are you a big youtuber or make other media often, if yes X99. Do you mostly game, if yes Skylake. Do you mostly game and don't mind waiting 2 months, if yes, go Kaby Lake.

15 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Are you a big youtuber or make other media often, if yes X99. Do you mostly game, if yes Skylake. Do you mostly game and don't mind waiting 2 months, if yes, go Kaby Lake.

what would be a good motherboard to go for with Kaby lake?  im currently on a z77 sabertooth and when it comes to recording audio I get horrible eletro interference in my recordings. i want a motherboard for gaming and clean audio recording. any recommendations would be great.thanks

7 hours ago, domjam said:

what would be a good motherboard to go for with Kaby lake?  im currently on a z77 sabertooth and when it comes to recording audio I get horrible eletro interference in my recordings. i want a motherboard for gaming and clean audio recording. any recommendations would be great.thanks

What interface do you use? You recording just a vocal mic?

Any of them should be fine, Gigabyte boards usually have great Audio, Asus too, you already have a sabertooth. There will be a refresh of new boards coming out around that time with the new chipset Z270. As we get closer to January we should be seeing more of them so sorry I can't really narrow that down much further.

On 08/11/2016 at 0:07 AM, DunePilot said:

What interface do you use? You recording just a vocal mic?

Any of them should be fine, Gigabyte boards usually have great Audio, Asus too, you already have a sabertooth. There will be a refresh of new boards coming out around that time with the new chipset Z270. As we get closer to January we should be seeing more of them so sorry I can't really narrow that down much further.

as of now I'm not using an interface im using a blue yeti. But i will be going for a forcite scarlett 2i2 and a neumann tlm 102 soon. but the fact is that this blue yeti is giving me this horrible beeping noise in my recordings and i know its not background noise. yet i see others are not getting this issue. I have had it from day one. doing research about it leads me to believe its something to do with my motherbord. so for my next upgrade i want to make sure i dont run into this problem beacuse as of know the only fix i see is switching to XLR

18 minutes ago, domjam said:

as of now I'm not using an interface im using a blue yeti. But i will be going for a forcite scarlett 2i2 and a neumann tlm 102 soon. but the fact is that this blue yeti is giving me this horrible beeping noise in my recordings and i know its not background noise. yet i see others are not getting this issue. I have had it from day one. doing research about it leads me to believe its something to do with my motherbord. so for my next upgrade i want to make sure i dont run into this problem beacuse as of know the only fix i see is switching to XLR

Gigabyte usually has about the best audio you can get on a motherboard so that would be really surprising if that's the issue. I run a set of $2400 JBLs straight out of the motherboard on mine. Might just be that USB mic you are using. Hooking up a good XLR mic through a good interface hopefully will get you better sound without the interference. Focusrite make good stuff, that would be a good choice. I use one of their higher end models with 8 XLR inputs so I can mic a full drum kit when needed on my audio rig.

Not uncommon for that mic to have problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1891977-blue-yeti-mic-picks-up-lots-interference-through-usb-cable.html

4 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

Gigabyte usually has about the best audio you can get on a motherboard so that would be really surprising if that's the issue. I run a set of $2400 JBLs straight out of the motherboard on mine. Might just be that USB mic you are using. Hooking up a good XLR mic through a good interface hopefully will get you better sound without the interference. Focusrite make good stuff, that would be a good choice. I use one of their higher end models with 8 XLR inputs so I can mic a full drum kit when needed on my audio rig.

Not uncommon for that mic to have problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1891977-blue-yeti-mic-picks-up-lots-interference-through-usb-cable.html

im on an ASUS board with realtek built in sound and yea thats why i said XLR mic is the only option i can think of cuz this usb mic is getting some kind of interference from my computer. but i dunno what just asume its the motherbord..i meen what els could it be? also i would only be using it for voice over. not instruments

Just now, domjam said:

im on an asus board with realtek built in sound

They are sister companies so the same goes for most Asus boards too.

You can look under audio and see if these help but it might just be that mic, I would expect a high end board like this to have decent audio.

Even the cheap boards now days are good.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z77/HelpDesk_Download/

On 11/7/2016 at 8:26 AM, domjam said:

Msi Gaming M* boards have had high quality in my experience but the M9 is 400$

x99 and the phrase "bang for your buck" is not something that should be in the same sentence. the only way I would recommend x99 to someone is if they need all 40 pcie lanes with a massive RAID 10 setup or something, or if they want to run 3 or 4 way sli/crossfire for whatever ungodly reason. z170 is an extremely nice chipset, supports 2x8 sli/crossfire which isn't the best but it gives you a good amount of futureproofing for the gpu, the 6700k is a truly fantastic chip and itll be a force to be reckoned with for awhile, you wont have to worry about that, and if you go with 2x8 sticks of ram you still have room to double it in the future if needed. there are still plenty of pcie lanes on the chipset to play with and the price delta is typically in the triple digits for (in games) minimal to even worse performance. x99 rips z170 to shreds in editing because they support 6 and 8 etc core cpu's. but right now and for the last long while, games aren't benefitting from more than 4 cores much at all.

22 hours ago, lettuce head said:

x99 and the phrase "bang for your buck" is not something that should be in the same sentence. the only way I would recommend x99 to someone is if they need all 40 pcie lanes with a massive RAID 10 setup or something, or if they want to run 3 or 4 way sli/crossfire for whatever ungodly reason. z170 is an extremely nice chipset, supports 2x8 sli/crossfire which isn't the best but it gives you a good amount of futureproofing for the gpu, the 6700k is a truly fantastic chip and itll be a force to be reckoned with for awhile, you wont have to worry about that, and if you go with 2x8 sticks of ram you still have room to double it in the future if needed. there are still plenty of pcie lanes on the chipset to play with and the price delta is typically in the triple digits for (in games) minimal to even worse performance. x99 rips z170 to shreds in editing because they support 6 and 8 etc core cpu's. but right now and for the last long while, games aren't benefitting from more than 4 cores much at all.

is there such a board that suports 2x16 sli?