I won an Inno3D GTX 980 Ti. Support tells me to send it to a local store

Hey there!

So where should I start here?

I won an GTX 980 Ti off an giveaway back in late march. I was happy with this card until the card died 3 days ago.

I was really upset and immediately called the Nvidia Support, because the Giveaway was in cooperation with Nvidia Germany and 

the Headquater in Germany even shipped the card to me.

Well first suprise there. They told me that they wouldnt take the card because Inno3D was the producer and I should call them for more support.

So I did, and I got a response from Inno3D!

Dear Sir

Firstly, thank you for your kind support of our product,

If your graphics card have any problem,

You can send the graphics card and invoice warranty document,

To your local reseller or your buy the shop to warranty check,

Thank you

Best Regards,

"Well", I thought. I dont have any warranty documents except the stickers on my Graphics card which are saying "Warranty void if removed" and

I wont send the card to an local reseller without having bought anything there!

So I called the Nvidia support again and I showed them the E-Mail I got from Inno3D. They still said I need to send the card to Inno3D and gave me the advice,

that I should talk to an Supervisor at Inno3D or something like that...

Well now I am here! I sended another E-Mail to Inno3D and I will now wait for a response, but I dont think it will help.

Now my question.

Do I even have a warranty on the card? I mean I have these stickers on the card, but I still won it and Nvidia refuses to take the card back.

I could really need some help here.

Thanks!

Now since you sound like you are in the EU, having a card fail in approximately half a year covers you under the EU warranty laws, which AFAIK are valid for a year after purchase. The thing is that these count for at least bought products, but I have no idea whether they also apply for received/free products. In any case, whoever is the one to sell it to you is responsible for giving you a "decent" product. That is, free of manufacturing errors.

The seller is usually responsible for either replacing or repairing your product by any means necessary. The choice of which is dictated by the seller.

I may be wrong here, but it's NVidia in this case who is responsible for either replacing or repairing your card, not Inno3D.

I doubt you wont have warranty on it. Are you sure you have mentioned it very clear to Inno3D that you won the card and didn't buy it? Did you link them to the giveaway winners page or included a small snippet of their "you won!"-email?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@bartvbl

Well I already called the Nvidia Support twice and they told me to ask the Inno3D support, because they didnt fabricate the card.

From a legal standpoint The card should be under warranty, but not necessarily for you. Warranty's are generally available to the original purchaser and are not transferrable. Since it was a prize in a contest one would think that it has a warranty, that is were it gets "sticky". IMHO I think that it should be covered and I would wait for a response from  Inno3D as they are the manufacturer of the card. I would just explain how you got the card and hopefully you will get a person who can read and understand and has the authority to replace the card.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

the waranty is non physical but yes by tampering with the product you do loose the warranty which is why the stickers are there. but the qustion is was warranty on the card when they gave it away?. most likely there is warranty on it but inno3D seems to have the document so you will have to provide them proof that you won that particuar card and they should manage the warranty problem. ps: no the stickers do nothing but proove you havent taken the  card apart and the warranty should be on a piece of paper that came with the card.

auch ist es geil dass du irgemdetwas gewonnen hast alter ich gewinne nie.

Slowly but surely making myself comftable in a life i have built since childhood.

I like recieving replies, mention or quote to get my attention

@Minibois I sent another E-Mail to Inno3D explaining everything in detail, just incase they did get anything wrong.

@CEbbinghaus The support seems very idiotic to me to be honest. I dont think they will cooperate properly.

Und ich hab mich auch ziemlich gefreut als ich die Karte gewonnen habe ^^

@T.O.E alter die bei inno3D haben das warranty recht also sollen die das machen, du solltest da nichts machen müssen. naya mal hoffen dass es gut geht.

Slowly but surely making myself comftable in a life i have built since childhood.

@CEbbinghaus Naja Danke schonmal ^^ Der Support scheint mir derzeit aber wirklich sehr sehr inkompetent zu agieren. Aber naja ich werde mal versuchen sie anzurufen und dann gucken was dabei so rumkommt.

ok halte uns am laufenden.

The problem is going to be having the warranty taken care of. If they want you to return it to a local store for warranty then find one that sells their products and go to them with your paperwork and proof of the winning as well as listing for the contest and see if they will warranty it for you. Worst they can do is to say no. If you encounter a no from them I would contact the customer service or sales department telling them of you "BAD" experience with their product and how they are unwilling to warranty their product and how much you are disappointed with not only their product but their service as well and how you will never use any of their products ever again and how you would not recommend them to anyone and blah blah blah. You should get someone to try to help you with the card. If not don't use their stuff and follow through with what you say. You did get the card for free..... so no great loss as far as out of your own pocket if you know what I mean.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

@zanthros Well thanks for your help! I will try the store method next after I get a response from Inno3D.

Most companies don't like bad press or bad reviews as it can affect their sales. That is why you need to contact the sales department as they have no real customer support, only a forum (You may want to post there as it may be monitored) for support. If you want to send an Email I would suggest  sales@ivmm.com . It is worth a try. Good Luck!

@zanthros @CEbbinghaus @Minibois 

WE MADE PROGRESS MY FRIENDS!

Well, I contacted the sales department after I used the support formula two times.

As you guys already know, the support said they couldnt help me.

Here I am now with an answer of the sales department, which says:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Christoph,

Sorry for hearing about this case, our technical support might overlooked your email.

Could you take a picture from the card about serial number, we will give your instruction about the warranty service then.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Best Regards

Stanley Wong

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I sended them some pics with the serial number and the part number etc.

they answered with this E-Mail

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Christoph,

Received your pictures, let us go back to Europe sales team and get back to you soon.

Regards

Stanley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So. What should I say now? First of all. Thanks for your help guys!

I will wait now until he replies but it looks really good to me tbh.

Like I said, the sales department is the one to contact. I would wait for their email and take it from there. I am fairly certain that they will take care of your warranty problem as the replies that you have got were positive. Good luck.... although I do not think that you will need it now as it appears that you are on the path to warranty replacement.?

Nvidia don't do warranty on cards manufacture by 3rd parties, such as inno3d. Need to contact inno3d directly. 

This applies for all gpu brands.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Keep all posts in English please. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

awsome stuff just wait for them to get back to you and you guys should sort it out.

UPDATE #2:

I got a reply by another guy, who finally got in contact with a local German reseller.

Here is the E-Mail guys!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Christoph,

Following up on your contact with Stanley some days back, I have been able to find a partner in Germany that will support your rma request.

I am also very sorry to hear about your experience on the card and I am afraid that the card you received in a prize draw (or something like that) might have been damaged along transport somehow.

After all, the 980Ti iChil is acxually one of the best awarded cards in that Nvidia generation!

Anyway, I have been able to have Caseking in Germany help you out on this rma.

They will contact you shortly to work with you on solving this issue!

In any cxase, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks again for contacting us and hopefully we can keep you on board in the future for Inno3D cards!

With best regards,

Peter Berkhout

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I think we reached the end here!

I cant thank you guys enought for your support!

Hopefully, I will receive the card as soon as possible.

I will notificate you guys when I get it!

Glad it all worked out! Best wishes & happy gaming!

• 2 weeks later...

****************ANOTHER UPDATE:********************

Well, hello again!

I now waited a week or something like that, after I sended my Card to CaseKing.

Now here is the insane thing I want to tell you all!

Caseking was so kind and gave me an: 

Inno3D GeForce GTX 1070 iChill X3

I need to thank you guys again for the help and the upgrade which resulted with it!

I think we can close this here now!

Never give up!

9 minutes ago, T.O.E said:

****************ANOTHER UPDATE:********************

Well, hello again!

I now waited a week or something like that, after I sended my Card to CaseKing.

Now here is the insane thing I want to tell you all!

Caseking was so kind and gave me an: 

Inno3D GeForce GTX 1070 iChill X3

I need to thank you guys again for the help and the upgrade which resulted with it!

I think we can close this here now!

Never give up!

Caseking is King B|

Let's agree to disagree