TTL's R9 290X Review.

Tr3vor

I'm not really bothered by any of his complaints...

Aesthetics: Personal preference, I don't mind the look of it.  But anyway, easily fixed with aftermarket cards

Noise: Easily fixed with aftermarket cards

Heat: Easily fixed with aftermarket cards

Price to performance: His disappointment holds true in the UK pricing, but NA pricing is $150 lower than he thought it was so the value is actually really great

The performance is there, the pricing is very aggressive (in NA), and once the aftermarket cards and blocks come out, none of these complaints will apply, and we'll have a great card at $550 that equals/beats the $650 780 and $1000 Titan.

The best bit about his review of the R9-290X was the first 7 min showing you nvidia's titan cooler design?

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

The best bit about his review of the R9-290X was the first 7 min showing you nvidia's titan cooler design?

It is like he is being paid by Nvidia.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

It is like he is being paid by Nvidia.

I am sorry to say this but it did seem that Nvidia got to him, hope not just thought its a bit weird..

Edit

Also did you see all the 780 boxes in the background in the end of the review?

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Just saw that review, it's the worst! it's just him bitching about how it doesn't feel expensive and how hot it is, but AMD already came out and said that the temperatures are nothing to worry, also when non-reference cards come out they will be beast! Check Tom's Hardware review, the 290X beats the 780 and Titan at everything and it's at 73% usage now just imagine it with Mantle, even if it is the slightest bump in performance it will ridicule Nvidia's solutions! and it's $100 cheaper!! Unbelievable!

I wouldn't bash on TTL, if you actually watched the whole thing he flat out says that the performance is on par if not better than a stock 780 and trades with the titan, even beating it in a couple games. The only reason he rips on the fact it runs so hot is that with a reference cooler, OCing isn't an option or if it is, than it's a limited one.

That being said, I'm sure everyone was expecting the "titan killer" to be a giant leap like the titan was from the 680/7970, and in that sense it is a major let down. Not that I'm not happy with the performance, it just means I get a second 780 at a much cheaper price where as I was hoping to sell my 780 and grabbing a couple 290x's. No point in doing that now.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19 An and tech's review says that it is trading blows with the Titan. Also, @ 4k, it beats SLI 780s.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I wouldn't bash on TTL, if you actually watched the whole thing he flat out says that the performance is on par if not better than a stock 780 and trades with the titan, even beating it in a couple games. The only reason he rips on the fact it runs so hot is that with a reference cooler, OCing isn't an option or if it is, than it's a limited one.

That being said, I'm sure everyone was expecting the "titan killer" to be a giant leap like the titan was from the 680/7970, and in that sense it is a major let down. Not that I'm not happy with the performance, it just means I get a second 780 at a much cheaper price where as I was hoping to sell my 780 and grabbing a couple 290x's. No point in doing that now.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19 psst, read this. TTL's review is the only review i have seen like that. all other reviews are the 290x trading blows with the Titan. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

It gives me kind of a warm and fuzzy feeling inside to see all the fanboys being let down like this... I'm a bad person.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19 no one is being let down, read up. 

Yeah way too hot for me, my current card gets up to 70 sometimes and my room becomes like a sauna, couldn't imagine 94 degress lol, will wait for the aftermarket coolers or if the 780ti has 4GB of Vram i may get that

Advice to anyone and everyone; If you want an unbiased review of something , check out Hardware Canucks

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19 psst, read this. TTL's review is the only review i have seen like that. all other reviews are the 290x trading blows with the Titan. 

Fair enough regarding other reviewers, but that doesn't automatically discredit's TTL's point and that's what everyone seems to be missing. The only people who give two cents about the 290x trading blows with the titan are the guys who have been waiting for the 290x to be released or fan boys. Otherwise it really is kind of disappointing.

I wanted a 290x, but the truth of the matter is:

A) The performance is there at great price. However, you have to understand they took a whole generation almost to only give us more of the same performance. which is kind of bleh.

B ) The performance over the existing cards are incremental at best(i.e. all 3 cards are ridiculously close for the most part), however it is nice to know AMD can and will keep up with nVidia (gotta love competition).

C) The biggest issue though is heat, as far as we can tell even with non-reference coolers this thing is going to be really hot, so there goes any meaningful performance you can squeeze out.

The best thing the 290x has going for it is its bang for the buck factor which we always knew AMD is capable of. That being said The best bang for the buck factor is nothing to scoff at, your move nVidia.

Fair enough regarding other reviewers, but that doesn't automatically discredit's TTL's point and that's what everyone seems to be missing. The only people who give two cents about the 290x trading blows with the titan are the guys who have been waiting for the 290x to be released or fan boys. Otherwise it really is kind of disappointing.

I wanted a 290x, but the truth of the matter is:

A) The performance is there at great price. However, you have to understand they took a whole generation almost to only give us more of the same performance. which is kind of bleh.

B ) The performance over the existing cards are incremental at best(i.e. all 3 cards are ridiculously close for the most part), however it is nice to know AMD can and will keep up with nVidia (gotta love competition).

C) The biggest issue though is heat, as far as we can tell even with non-reference coolers this thing is going to be really hot, so there goes any meaningful performance you can squeeze out.

The best thing the 290x has going for it is it's bang for the buck factor which we always knew AMD is capable of. That being said The best bang for the buck factor is nothing to scoff at, your move nVidia.

it may be a thermal paste issue, or badly mounted coolers. We still don't know.

As far as the preformance goes, the 290x is about what I expected. More than the 780. I don't know what's so disappointing about that. But I'm not upgrading from my 7970 any time soon. When the aftermarket coolers come out this card will be the one to buy for sure.

And yeah, Now that you say that, there are a ton of 780 boxes in the background and he's showing 780s off. There is something not right about that.

As far as finding "unbiased" reviews, reviews are essentially bias, as they are opinion. Some may think 95c is acceptable, some may not. Its all down to the person. Just watch all the reviews and make your own opinion.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

As far as you can tell? more like you can't because there aren't any numbers for them and they aren't out. Remember the 7970 stock cooler? that thing was shit. Aftermarket coolers were where the 7970 shined.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

If Nvidia won't drop the prices I think I will go with R9 290x (will wait for non-reference models with better cooling system)

nvidia is dropping prices, confirmed.

I'm not really bothered by any of his complaints...

Aesthetics: Personal preference, I don't mind the look of it.  But anyway, easily fixed with aftermarket cards

Noise: Easily fixed with aftermarket cards

Heat: Easily fixed with aftermarket cards

Price to performance: His disappointment holds true in the UK pricing, but NA pricing is $150 lower than he thought it was so the value is actually really great

The performance is there, the pricing is very aggressive (in NA), and once the aftermarket cards and blocks come out, none of these complaints will apply, and we'll have a great card at $550 that equals/beats the $650 780 and $1000 Titan.

remember to leave titan out, as its more for compute and should never have been marketed as a gaming card, it challenges the 780 and future 780 Ti. People like to rub the 1k titan into green team fan faces but it remains a card i would use for compute/pro work ONLY. In that regard, its like a budget tesla.

The 290X is a beast!

I am disappointed however in the thermals :/ 95C is too damn high!

'Oh but AMD made the GPU to run that hot, it's fine' NO IT"S NOT! What about your whole system? It's gonna be an oven in some cases! 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The 290X is a beast!

I am disappointed however in the thermals :/ 95C is too damn high!

'Oh but AMD made the GPU to run that hot, it's fine' NO IT"S NOT! What about your whole system? It's gonna be an oven in some cases! 

I'm thinking about getting it because the furnace in my house just broke and winter is coming up. I won't need to replace my furnace for the entire time I use the card.

I'm thinking about getting it because the furnace in my house just broke and winter is coming up. I won't need to replace my furnace for the entire time I use the card.

Think about it! All you have to do is leave the card at idle and it'll be good.

You can even put it under load for a few minutes and shut the PC down and it'll still keep you warm for hours.

Put it under your blanket at night for a comfortable warming effect to help you sleep.

Use it to thaw your gutters!

Use it as a hand warmer!

Throw it in your car, it'll eliminate the hassle of warming your engine up.

I think we've been looking at this the wrong way :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Think about it! All you have to do is leave the card at idle and it'll be good.

You can even put it under load for a few minutes and shut the PC down and it'll still keep you warm for hours.

Put it under your blanket at night for a comfortable warming effect to help you sleep.

Use it to thaw your gutters!

Use it as a hand warmer!

Throw it in your car, it'll eliminate the hassle of warming your engine up.

I think we've been looking at this the wrong way :)

You sir, are a genius. This will revolutionize the space heater industry.

You sir, are a genius. This will revolutionize the space heater industry.

They should have called the card Sahara rather than Hawaii.

I can do this all day xD

Hail Sithis!

They should have called the card Sahara rather than Hawaii.

I can do this all day xD

When they named the card "Hawaii", they ACTUALLY meant the magma inside the volcanoes :P

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Paul's Hardware review is pretty rock solid, said he has no real issues at all...

Must come down to personal preference and ambient temps where you live...

*I didnt realise reviews were today, much to my surprise when I clicked around and in short time saw the onslaught early utubes and then written articles..

Will have to see what the aftermarket ones are like...those temps are a little too hot for my liking.....so I Just bought my second 7950 for $220 (new),.. pretty keen for future titles :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hey guys,

All of you saying that the performance is above the 780.... Have you already seen the Linus review?? Is down in EVERY bench.