Before the Flood - The science is clear. The future is not.

NEDIX

I just finished watching Before the Flood and it struck me good. Never before have I seen with my own eyes to what extend we are ruining our planet. I feel it's important that every human being realizes what consequenses our ignorance have on our planet.

https://www.beforetheflood.com

Full film: https://youtu.be/90CkXVF-Q8M

I've never asked this before but please, spread.

7 minutes ago, Jed M said:

I'll hopefully be dead before it's a problem for me. 

Isn't that entirely the problem?

I don't care about global warming fear propaganda, the Antarctic is mostly in a cooling trend and it would take thousands of years before any place that wasn't already in a constantly flooded area or places below sea level to have any real issues.

Spoiler

Image result for antarctic temperature trends

Do I think we need to find alternative energy sources, yes, but I'm not going to get worked up by an actor traveling the world in a private jet telling me I'm destroying the earth.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't care about global warming fear propaganda, the Antarctic is mostly in a cooling trend and it would take thousands of years before any place that wasn't already in a constantly flooded area or places below sea level to have any real issues.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for antarctic temperature trends

Do I think we need to find alternative energy sources, yes, but I'm not going to get worked by an actor traveling the world in a private jet telling me I'm destroying the earth.

You're the first one to introduce the term fear, congratulations have a xanax.

The earth has had several ice ages and warm periods. (When the middle ages were freezing)

It just sounds like propaganda to me. Not going to happen for a LONG time. Long after anyone we ever even care to know. (if they are right, but probably not). To me, if just sounds like a shotty way to get a candidate(s) elected. And besides, we can't afford it. 20 trillion in debt and we want to ban one of our best sources of energy? And the jobs. That would be a HUGE crisis compared to our earth might die in a few million years or how ever long. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

21 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

The earth has had several ice ages and warm periods. (When the middle ages were freezing)

It just sounds like propaganda to me. Not going to happen for a LONG time. Long after anyone we ever even care to know. (if they are right, but probably not). To me, if just sounds like a shotty way to get a candidate(s) elected. And besides, we can't afford it. 20 trillion in debt and we want to ban one of our best sources of energy? And the jobs. That would be a HUGE crisis compared to our earth might die in a few million years or how ever long. 

I know education in the US is virtually non-existent but maybe just try to reschool people? Jobs are coming and going all around the globe, all the time, and don't tell me that's propaganda too, I'm getting tired of these Drumpf supporters. What is your prediction to that debt figure when the rest of the world moves away from oil?

46 minutes ago, NEDIX said:

I just finished watching Before the Flood and it struck me good. Never before have I seen with my own eyes to what extend we are ruining our planet. I feel it's important that every human being realizes what consequenses our ignorance have on our planet.

https://www.beforetheflood.com

Full film: https://youtu.be/90CkXVF-Q8M

I've never asked this before but please, spread.

I haven't watched the video. But I do believe in Global Warming. A NASA scientist Jim Hanson. He explained Climate Change in the regards of Probability using dice. I couldn't find the video. But after 5 min I knew we are fucked. Sadly one of the largest Green House Gas producers, the US (my country) has old dumb fucks in Congress that dont believe in Global warming. Or at least they get tones of money, not to believe. They are the ass holes who claim solar is not feasible, when Germany is shutting down Nuclear Power Plants because of all the solar energy they are producing. 

Which is why I am against that stupid oil pipeline the Native Americans have been fighting in North Dakota. I hope they keep fighting. Tell big oil to suck a dick. We want clean renewable energy. We need more companies like Tesla and less like BP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, NEDIX said:

I know education in the US is virtually non-existent but maybe just try to reschool people? Jobs are coming and going all around the globe, all the time, and don't tell me that's propaganda too, I'm getting tired of these Trump supporters. What is your prediction to that debt figure when the rest of the world moves away from oil?

hahaha. man please. we got people getting there head cut off/shot/thrown off bulidings because they oppose a certain religion and you are concerned about earth falling apart within a thousands and thousands of years? Guess what happens when they ban coal? Oh wow! my electric bill just went up a HUGE percentage, oh well we do it for the planet. We had our chance with nuclear power, but dumb people blew it for us. Now we just cant afford it. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 hour ago, Jed M said:

I'll hopefully be dead before it's a problem for me. 

it already is a problem so yeah....

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Least thing we can worry about is world changing

We need to make world peace and stop having damn wars (which will be impossible so rip earth)

A alien invasion will make the world work together :D 

yeah, believe that yourself? even if we would win then, afterwards we would end up making a hissyfit because of who gets to control what alien area.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Just now, Bsmith said:

it already is a problem so yeah....

yeah, believe that yourself? even if we would win then, afterwards we would end up making a hissyfit because of who gets to control what alien area.

Thats what I expect as well, humans are fucked :/ 

4 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

hahaha. man please. we got people getting there head cut off/shot/thrown off bulidings because they oppose a certain religion and you are concerned about earth falling apart within a thousands and thousands of years? Guess what happens when they ban coal? Oh wow! my electric bill just went up a HUGE percentage, oh well we do it for the planet. We had our chance with nuclear power, but dumb people blew it for us. Now we just cant afford it. 

Guess what happens when we run out of Coal. OH SHIT no electricity. Remember coal and oil are not renewable and take millions of years to be made. 

Yeah are world is fucked up place. But the next world war is likely to be fought over clean water and farm land. As oil and coal industries pollute all of the land and water. I dont understand why people are against solar and wind tech. It make fucking sense. The sun shines every fucking day. All these free energy that we need to collect and we say " FUCK no, we dont like it to be this god damned convenient." 

Take Global Warming out of the equation. Lets just talk about how pollution affects health. Want a healthier America. Help reduce pollution. This can help reduce health care costs. Plus according to Bill Nye, Renewable energy is slated to become cheaper than non renewable energy. Cheaper = better. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Guess what happens when we run out of Coal. OH SHIT no electricity. Remember coal and oil are not renewable and take millions of years to be made. 

Yeah are world is fucked up place. But the next world war is likely to be fought over clean water and farm land. As oil and coal industries pollute all of the land and water. I dont understand why people are against solar and wind tech. It make fucking sense. The sun shines every fucking day. All these free energy that we need to collect and we say " FUCK no, we dont like it to be this god damned convenient." 

Take Global Warming out of the equation. Lets just talk about how pollution affects health. Want a healthier America. Help reduce pollution. This can help reduce health care costs. Plus according to Bill Nye, Renewable energy is slated to become cheaper than non renewable energy. Cheaper = better. 

yall watch to much TV.  holy crap. Who has been affected by GW? 

God bless bill nye. The next WW isn't going to be fought about that crap. It will be fought over syria. And Oil. Most of these dang power plants don't even pollute that much anyways. Why is the US targetted for this all the time? Beijing is practically killing people with their factory smog. 

I want clean energy, but the US can't afford it right now. And we probably won't be able to for the next 50-100 years. The last thing we need is our government backstabbing our oil and coal miners. 

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

3 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

yall watch to much TV.  holy crap. Who has been affected by GW? 

God bless bill nye. The next WW isn't going to be fought about that crap. It will be fought over syria. And Oil. Most of these dang power plants don't even pollute that much anyways. Why is the US targetted for this all the time? Beijing is practically killing people with their factory smog. 

I want clean energy, but the US can't afford it right now. And we probably won't be able to for the next 50-100 years. The last thing we need is our government backstabbing our oil and coal miners. 

Because the US is the largest Economy and is the worlds Super Power until China fully takes over. We have to set the standard. Then others will follow. 

Whos been affected? Havent you seen the weather the last few years? It hasnt been normal. Thats caused by Global Warming. And yes the US can afford it. Its call tax these fucking rich pricks like Donald Trump who think they dont have to pay their fucking income tax. Thats how you afford it. Its called sell more Treasury Bonds to China. They will pickup the debt, its not like we were not going to do this anyway. They already own a shit ton of our debt any way. Its called putting stiffer regulation on polluters. Remember Solar and Wind are slated to become cheaper. Coal and oil will go up in price as they have to do more and more to find new sources. Take more and more chances like them fucking bastards at BP did. Them fuckers should be in prison for the murder of the 13 people on the Deep Water Horizon. Not to mention because of that the OIL industry fucked over the fisherman who make their living fishing the gulf of Mexico. So its not about the US fucking over the oil industry. The oil industry has fucked us over up, down, left, right and center. 

A statistical view on Earth is made 1h18m4s into the documentary. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing, this takes you three minutes to watch and does in fact show a correlation between climate and conflict (1h19m36s). It also explains that some areas are indeed getting colder (Europe).

41 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Because the US is the largest Economy and is the worlds Super Power until China fully takes over. We have to set the standard. Then others will follow. 

1) China's economy is just as unstable as the US's currently due to the necessity of massive government projects to boost it

2) China will not stop polluting unless it is cheaper in the here and now, this is why they have massive hydroelectric plants and are working with Thorium based nuclear energy but things like solar are not priority

3) If China doesn't stop polluting it will not remotely matter what the US does

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

getting colder doesnt mean global warming does not exsist. Its the abnormality of weather thats the true outcome of global warming. CO2 absorbs more heat and the atmosphere have more energy and more energy means more unstable the system, hence more fluctuation and weather abnormality. In fact, US is suffering from this already but ppl just wont admit it. (extreme high temp during summer and extreme storms).

However, I have heard that solar panel is not as clean, the production of them involves a lot of carbon footprint and chemical pollution. That need to be fixed as well. But anyway, its not a easy task to go alternative energy just because those rich ass energy companies controls economics and politics. And also, the dark side of human nature. So all in all, maybe human extinction is the only way to solve environmental problem:P

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

getting colder doesnt mean global warming does not exsist. Its the abnormality of weather thats the true outcome of global warming. CO2 absorbs more heat and the atmosphere have more energy and more energy means more unstable the system, hence more fluctuation and weather abnormality. In fact, US is suffering from this already but ppl just wont admit it. (extreme high temp during summer and extreme storms).

However, I have heard that solar panel is not as clean, the production of them involves a lot of carbon footprint and chemical pollution. That need to be fixed as well. But anyway, its not a easy task to go alternative energy just because those rich ass energy companies controls economics and politics. And also, the dark side of human nature. So all in all, maybe human extinction is the only way to solve environmental problem:P

We need to kill the justice league and the Avengers. That way humans will go extinct! Ultron had it right after all!

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Whos been affected? Havent you seen the weather the last few years? It hasnt been normal. Thats caused by Global Warming. And yes the US can afford it. Its call tax these fucking rich pricks like Donald Trump who think they dont have to pay their fucking income tax. Thats how you afford it. Its called sell more Treasury Bonds to China. They will pickup the debt, its not like we were not going to do this anyway. They already own a shit ton of our debt any way. Its called putting stiffer regulation on polluters. Remember Solar and Wind are slated to become cheaper. Coal and oil will go up in price as they have to do more and more to find new sources. Take more and more chances like them fucking bastards at BP did. Them fuckers should be in prison for the murder of the 13 people on the Deep Water Horizon. Not to mention because of that the OIL industry fucked over the fisherman who make their living fishing the gulf of Mexico. So its not about the US fucking over the oil industry. The oil industry has fucked us over up, down, left, right and center. 

We've only been doing this for around 200 years and I don't think it's as big of a problem as the world is claiming it is.

Global warming is a serious issue, but I am more afraid of things that are here and now. Hillary Clinton wanting to go to war with Russia and Syria over no-fly zones is much more serious than something that won't be a major problem until many years past my lifespan. 

Over the years, there has been more and more regulations for companies to follow when it comes to pollution and dealing with it. We'll eventually make the switch to solar & wind power but it won't be instantly. Expecting the U.S. government to outlaw coal, oil, etc. or something similar is just ridiculous. The world needs and runs mainly on it and you can't change it overnight. Even if the American economy could support it, it would still take many YEARS to get everyone switched over. 

I think the radiation from Russia's nukes are much more dangerous than our pollution. The entire planet would become a giant x-ray machine, and it would kill almost everything off. Very few species would survive and I don't think that we'll be bitching pollution if the U.S. goes to war with Russia.

Now, let's be real, bitching on a TECH forums does nothing at all to solve either problem. 

I cannot say that i believe, or disbelieve, in climate change as i've not done my own research and looked at the various data sets and studies to draw my own conclusions.

However i do believe whether it exist or not we should take better care of the environment in addition to curbing population growths. 

3 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Do I think we need to find alternative energy sources, yes, but I'm not going to get worked up by an actor traveling the world in a private jet telling me I'm destroying the earth.

An actor that gets paid to preach about climate change, but doesn't donate any money toward helping or practice what they preach.  

2 hours ago, NEDIX said:

I know education in the US is virtually non-existent but maybe just try to reschool people? What is your prediction to that debt figure when the rest of the world moves away from oil?

The U.S. needs to do a better job of promoting job skills needed to land a job overall.  However re-schooling loses its effectiveness the older the person is.  Also unless you can guarantee a new job to the person losing their current one you will never get them to vote for the candidates that support green energy.

It will be a very long time before we can "move away from oil".  In terms of electricity and heat that's very doable, but alternatives for vehicles are still few and far between currently.

. They are the ass holes who claim solar is not feasible, when Germany is shutting down Nuclear Power Plants because of all the solar energy they are producing. 

Germany isn't shutting down nuke plants because of all the solar they are getting.  They are doing it because public opinion went south on nuclear energy after Fukushima.  Also while Germany is generating a respectable amount of energy from solar; they are decades away from being self sufficient, and are importing more energy from countries that generate it the dirty way. 

Guess what happens when we run out of Coal. OH SHIT no electricity. 

Plus according to Bill Nye, Renewable energy is slated to become cheaper than non renewable energy. Cheaper = better. 

Coal: There is actually enough coal in U.S territory to last us for a very long time with a huge untapped amount in Alaska.  

WW3- WW3 will likely be fought over ideology like the last 2 were.  Regional wars will be a mix of ideology and resources.  Also the best way to ensure clean water and available farm land is to curb human population growth.  

More humans=more needed resources. 

Solar & Wind- The problem isn't the abundance it's our ability to harness it effectively.  Even the largest wind farm or solar farm still can't beat the output of a single nuclear reactor.  There are some plans for solar steam plants that use mirrors to heat water that look promising, but they aren't perfect as the biggest one right now still needs natural gas to meet its promised energy delivery. 

It will be a very long time before Solar & wind become cheaper than non-renewable without using government subsidies.  

Ummm. Accidents happen in any industry, just to point out. And the "Regulate the emissions" fanaticism is what caused the law in california that literally regulates cow flatulence. How are they supposed to avoid that? End all milk production? End all meat production? Get real.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Climate change is a problem, but it's not the one we should be most worried about. That's like seeing a car heading towards you at 200km/h and being worried about what it'll do to your house right behind you.

It's not even that we'll run out. We won't, not for a long time. It'll keep getting more expensive, though, because we'll keep having to use more and more extreme methods to get at it. We may have already peaked, and if we haven't we will soon, and it'll just keep getting more and more expensive until we're in a greater and more depressing Great Depression.

We could easily shift away from oil, not immediately but much faster than we already are, and hardly notice. But we're not. Too many people with too much power have too much money in it. The ones with the power that aren't greedy bastards are too stupid to do anything useful, if they even exist at all. We're screwed in several ways because the people in charge don't give shit.

God I hate this fucking species...

I don't normally get so riled, but when I think about politics... It's like watching children. Everything's so stupid, so unnecessary, so avoidable, so obvious, it just makes me want to scream. All these wars over shit nobody should care about and all these governments and companies screwing people over, sometimes accidentally though more often because there was money in it. It's just so disgusting.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.