BQ! Straight Power E9 450W capable of 6600k with OC?

Mex1507

Hey there LTT-community!

First: YES, I have read the "How many watts do I need"? topic.

Finally I want to upgrade my "slightly" outdated rig (AMD Phenom II X4 925 + R9 270X), so will my PSU (BQ! Straight Power E9 450W) be capable of slight overclocking with the 6600k maybe? Otherwise I will get the 6500. My new rig will look something like this:

1 Seagate Desktop HDD   500GB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST500DM002)

1 Seagate Desktop SSHD  1TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST1000DX001)
1 Intel Core i5-6600K, 4x 3.50GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (BX80662I56600K)

1 ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 OC, STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (90YV07F0-M0NA00)
1 Corsair Vengeance LPX rot DIMM Kit   8GB, DDR4-2133, CL13-15-15-28 (CMK8GX4M2A2133C13R)
1 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 (90-MXGYX0-A0UAYZ)
1 LG Electronics GH24NSD1 schwarz, SATA, bulk (GH24NSD1.AUAA10B)
1 Arctic MX-4,  4g
1 Thermalright Macho 120 Rev. A (100700721)
1 Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 weiß mit Sichtfenster (CC-9011053-WW)

Yeah, im sorry it's a German website. :D 

Thank you very much and kind regards!

Don't get aftermarket thermal paste. Your Thermalright will come with paste. 

The Straight Power E9 is "eh."

Why a 970 when you can get a 1070?

Why an SSHD and HDD but no SSD?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What is your budget for an upgrade? Getting a 970 at this point of time is not a good idea. Do you have harddrive(s) and a case you can reuse? 

Ah sorry, my bad. The GTX 970 is a used one by a friend, thats why. I want to get the SSHD because i want to have more space. And if you wonder why I only have 500gb of HDD, well a bad mistake I have made there a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Mex1507 said:

Ah sorry, my bad. The GTX 970 is a used one by a friend, thats why. I want to get the SSHD because i want to have more space. And if you wonder why I only have 500gb of HDD, well a bad mistake I have made there a few years ago.

500GB HDD space is fine. An SSHD doesn't make sense to buy. Just buy a 120GB SSD and you'll be able to afford a 1TB drive along side instead of one big drive.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Mhm, ok. I was considering to get even a 250GB SSD (a Samsung 750 Evo for example), but I thought that an SSHD would work fine there and my budget is a bit restricted actually. But back to the topic: Should I get the 6600k or "only" the 6500. I know, OCing doesn't make that difference in gaming but it's a nice to have I guess :D

2 minutes ago, Mex1507 said:

Mhm, ok. I was considering to get even a 250GB SSD (a Samsung 750 Evo for example), but I thought that an SSHD would work fine there and my budget is a bit restricted actually.

Well here's what I would do.

Replace the 6600k with a 6500 and you can then get a cheaper motherboard, no aftermarket CPU cooler, a 250GB SSD with the money you saved, and it'll perform about the same (until you overclock a 6600k but that's more of a "futureproofing" thing). Saving a couple bucks from not buying thermal paste is also good. I'd also ask why you're buying an optical drive? If you're using it to install Windows then I'd recommend just using a USB flash drive to install Windows and not buying an optical drive.

Ok, thank you! I will get an SSD then instead of the SSHD. I just want to get the thermal paste to change it in the future, 5€ is not a big deal ^^. And yeah, I'm one of the few users who uses an optical drive in 2016 :D I have  a few older games and sometimes I just want to watch a movie on DVD or something, it's nice to have. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:04 PM, Mex1507 said:

I think most of us made that mistake at one point.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:23 PM, Mex1507 said:

Ok, thank you! I will get an SSD then instead of the SSHD. I just want to get the thermal paste to change it in the future, 5€ is not a big deal ^^. And yeah, I'm one of the few users who uses an optical drive in 2016 :D I have  a few older games and sometimes I just want to watch a movie on DVD or something, it's nice to have. 

I refuse to get a case without a 5.25" bay. I went micro atx and made sure I had 2 of them :P and having 2 was the only reason I didn't go mini itx. everyone seems to be on point tho. they got you in good hands :)