New MacBooks have upgradable ssds - but its proprietary

goodtofufriday
3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Some NVME PCIE SSD that's soldered to the motherboard (so as a result, it's not super fast -- 660 read, 460 write.

It's NVME. Both are going to be irrelevantly long anyway, so it doesn't really matter. 

Why would it not be very fast?    PCIE is a very fast connection isn't it?

Why would SATA3 and NVME SSD be irrelevant?

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

NVMe ofc, SATA3 cannot have those speeds and you can see that the IOPs on the 960 EVO are much higher than the 950 pro, so the lifespand is longer

I don't think IOPs has anything to do with lifespan does it?

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I'm pretty sure it's an sm951 or something similar. It's made by Samsung for sure, and I'm pretty sure they use pcie 2.0 x4, except with a proprietary connector (so it's not compatible with m.2, the pins are in different places).

Why would Apple use an outdated version of PCIE?  

When they're praising themselves for using such a supposedly top of the line NVME SSD why limit it by using a slower connection than exists?

21 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

When they're praising themselves for using such a supposedly top of the line NVME SSD why limit it by using a slower connection than exists?

You are right, it depends on the nand type. SLC has the longest life, but its expensive. MLC is a compromise between manufacturing cost and life span. TLC is the cheapest but it has the shortest lifespan. And in terms of speed it shows a similar tendency: SLC>MLC>TLC

37 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

IOPs is how many times it is rated to write and read, in most cases you can go above that.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

If you don't like MacOS, then of course you shouldn't buy a Mac, but if you like MacOS or are don't have a preference, then they're generally priced competitively with other ultrabooks, and are thus worth considering. 

Considering you pretty much said the same thing I said, I take it you're in agreement (buy a Mac if you like OSX, don't if you don't like OSX). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Considering you pretty much said the same thing I said, I take it you're in agreement (buy a Mac if you like OSX, don't if you don't like OSX). 

what if you love OSX but hate current hardware (everything after 2012 is shit to me)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It might be because the chipset built into the processor only gives out pcie 2.0 lanes. Plus, it's not really like the SSD can use the extra bandwidth...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I pulled those speeds from Anandtech's review. The SSD is part of the mtherboard, so they assume that's why. 

I meant that they'll both last irrelevantly long. (NVME is PCIE only btw). And apple didn't use an outdated version, it's just the way that there aren't many flash chips (due to space constraints). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You are right, it depends on the nand type. SLC has the longest life, but its expensive. MLC is a compromise between manufacturing cost and life span. TLC is the cheapest but it has the shortest lifespan. And in terms of speed it shows a similar tendency: SLC>MLC>TLC

So which type does Apple use?

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I pulled those speeds from Anandtech's review. The SSD is part of the mtherboard, so they assume that's why. 

I meant that they'll both last irrelevantly long. (NVME is PCIE only btw). And apple didn't use an outdated version, it's just the way that there aren't many flash chips (due to space constraints). 

So you mean that using a NVME SSD like a 950 pro on an m.2 connector that supports NVME means it's connecting using PCIE through that m.2 connector?

If there's PCIE 3.0 and Apple used 2.0 how is that not outdated?  I'm confused...

9 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Apple didn't create Mini-DVI though. A select few laptops did use Mini-DVI iirc. Nor can you make the argument for Mini-DisplayPort, because the industry would eventually adopt DisplayPort as a whole.

Not true, mini-DVI was exclusively used by Apple. Mini-DP is standard (not a standard I like, but what can I do?) 

Also I forgot to mention mini-VGA, (other manufacturers have their own proprietary mini VGA cables, but they are not the same) 

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It might be because the chipset built into the processor only gives out pcie 2.0 lanes. Plus, it's not really like the SSD can use the extra bandwidth...

NVME isn't fast enough to max out a PCIE 3.0 connection? (depending on if it's a x1 or x4 connection I assume)

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

what if you love OSX but hate current hardware (everything after 2012 is shit to me)

There's word for what you need then but it's not technically legal.

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Not true, Apple DVI was exclusively used by Apple. Mini-DP is standard (not a standard I like, but what can I do?) 

Also I forgot to mention mini-VGA, (other manufacturers have their own proprietary mini VGA cables, but they are not the same) 

Mini-DVI, not Apple DVI. Both are different.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI

Mini-DVI is Apple, ADC (apple DVI) is also apple, but a different connector. 

ah

was a bit confused mainly because of wording

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

ah

was a bit confused mainly because of wording

Fuck auto correct! 

25 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So you mean that using a NVME SSD like a 950 pro on an m.2 connector that supports NVME means it's connecting using PCIE through that m.2 connector?

If there's PCIE 3.0 and Apple used 2.0 how is that not outdated?  I'm confused...

Yes. M.2 is just a connector that uses the PCIE interface. 

According to Anandtech, it's a core M limitation (plus, it has a max bandwidth of 2GB/s, which the SSD is nowhere near saturating, so that's not the reason for the "slow" speeds).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

NVME isn't fast enough to max out a PCIE 3.0 connection? (depending on if it's a x1 or x4 connection I assume)

Not most modern SSDs, as far as I know. Even SSDs like the SM951 (which I believe is what's used in the 2015 macbook pro) tend to get less than 2 GB/s in synthetic tests, let alone the lower bandwidth numbers they get in real world scenarios. pcie 2.0 x4 is above 2 GB/s if I remember correctly, so it really doesn't matter in the 2015 Macbook Pro.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Not most modern SSDs, as far as I know. Even SSDs like the SM951 (which I believe is what's used in the 2015 macbook pro) tend to get less than 2 GB/s in synthetic tests, let alone the lower bandwidth numbers they get in real world scenarios. pcie 2.0 x4 is above 2 GB/s if I remember correctly, so it really doesn't matter in the 2015 Macbook Pro.

According to Apple the 2016 MBP gets up to 3.1GB/s (also the 960 Evo/Pro too), so we should start seeing SSDs push past 2.0x4.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 10/29/2016 at 2:58 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So 3rd party SSD makers like OCZ will make one of these. Big deal.

I'm more surprised by the fact that it isn't soldered to the motherboard.

Soldering hardware like this to the motherboard doesn't make sense because if the part fails, more than likely you will have to replace the whole thing.

1 hour ago, bigneo said:
On 29/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Soldering hardware like this to the motherboard doesn't make sense because if the part fails, more than likely you will have to replace the whole thing.

So more profit for apple, see how this works right?

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Just now, alexyy said:

So more profit for apple, see how this works right?

How is this profit if it fails under warranty? Whatever they are doing atm is working and they making money so...

1 hour ago, bigneo said:

How is this profit if it fails under warranty? Whatever they are doing atm is working and they making money so...

Assuming its still in warranty and they will either fix it themselves or use a refurbished part to fix it.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

According to Apple the 2016 MBP gets up to 3.1GB/s (also the 960 Evo/Pro too), so we should start seeing SSDs push past 2.0x4.

Really?

Well then it probably has pcie 3.0 x4 :D 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler