RGB LED room light strips

Maxtuckerpc1998

hey everyone, i am wanting to add some RGB light strips around my setup and room,but i cant decide which ones to get, can anyone make some recommendations

i looked at these but some people said that the power supply has gotten very hot and even sparked but most people say its fine and works perfectly,also the best seller on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/WenTop®-Non-waterproof-300leds-Controller-Kicthen/dp/B01DBP1T28/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1477530173&sr=8-6&keywords=rgb+led+room+lights

6 minutes ago, Maxtuckerpc1998 said:

hey everyone, i am wanting to add some RGB light strips around my setup and room,but i cant decide which ones to get, can anyone make some recommendations

i looked at these but some people said that the power supply has gotten very hot and even sparked but most people say its fine and works perfectly,also the best seller on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/WenTop®-Non-waterproof-300leds-Controller-Kicthen/dp/B01DBP1T28/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1477530173&sr=8-6&keywords=rgb+led+room+lights

Those power adapters are usually mediocre at best, you would be be better off sourcing a good 12V regulated power adapters from some old hardware or devices. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Edited by W-L

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

Those power adapters are usually mediocre at best, you would be be better off sourcing a good 12V regulated power adapters from some old hardware or devices. 

"Mediocre"? Damn those knockoff brands for using lower quality components.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

Those power adapters are usually mediocre at best, you would be be better off sourcing a good 12V regulated power adapters from some old hardware or devices. 

could you direct me to one that will work with the led strips,i will just buy the kit i linked earlier and use a different power supply

13 minutes ago, Maxtuckerpc1998 said:

could you direct me to one that will work with the led strips,i will just buy the kit i linked earlier and use a different power supply

Your best option would be to look for fairly beefy power supply or laptop power brick that provides 12V as that would need at least 72W to power two full rolls, which I personally would cut down a bit as those box controllers usually have a max rating of 6 amps, where it will be running at it's max limit. 

26 minutes ago, W-L said:

Your best option would be to look for fairly beefy power supply or laptop power brick that provides 12V as that would need at least 72W to power two full rolls, which I personally would cut down a bit as those box controllers usually have a max rating of 6 amps, where it will be running at it's max limit. 

i have a old asus gaming laptop brick and a few dell ones,would those work? how would i connect those to the led strips,dont they use weird connectors

8 minutes ago, Maxtuckerpc1998 said:

i have a old asus gaming laptop brick and a few dell ones,would those work? how would i connect those to the led strips,dont they use weird connectors

Check to see if they are rated at 12V and at least 6 amps, if they are a higher voltage unfortunately they won't work. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Check to see if they are rated at 12V and at least 6 amps, if they are a higher voltage unfortunately they won't work. 

hmmm,both are 19 volts,but my introcurcuit power castle is 12 volt

2 minutes ago, Maxtuckerpc1998 said:

hmmm,both are 19 volts,but my introcurcuit power castle is 12 volt

That 12V one should work as long as it has at least 6amps.

Just now, W-L said:

That 12V one should work as long as it has at least 6amps.

nope,only 4,looks like im going for one of these https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Power-Supply-Standard/dp/B009ZZY28M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477535423&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+6+amp+power+supply

id rather buy this than have the one that comes with it burn up,should this work or should i go with a 7 or 8 amp power supply

1 minute ago, Maxtuckerpc1998 said:

nope,only 4,looks like im going for one of these https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Power-Supply-Standard/dp/B009ZZY28M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477535423&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+6+amp+power+supply

id rather buy this than have the one that comes with it burn up,should this work or should i go with a 7 or 8 amp power supply

That wouldn't be much better than the original one that came with the unit, unless it's a reputable brand like Meanwell, FSP, Delta or such ,most of those on Amazon are kind of iffy.

This one seems decent but without a manufacture brand or name it's hard to say: https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Supply-UL-Listed-Transformer-Voltage/dp/B00STTOS8Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477535719&sr=8-4-fkmr1

Just an FYI i have a similar LED set up in my gun safe, and the IR sensor isn't terribly great.

you have to be bang on with pointing the remote at it for it to register.

I haven't bothered finding out a work around, but i wanted to give you forewarning. 

8 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

Just an FYI i have a similar LED set up in my gun safe, and the IR sensor isn't terribly great.

you have to be bang on with pointing the remote at it for it to register.

I haven't bothered finding out a work around, but i wanted to give you forewarning. 

Thank you!!!!!

13 hours ago, Maxtuckerpc1998 said:

Thank you!!!!!

You're welcome.

Be sure to post pictures of the final project when you are done!

6 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

You're welcome.

Be sure to post pictures of the final project when you are done!

oh for sure, it will be done around the same time as my new build