My HE-400i's arent what I expected, maybe they're not being used to their full potential?

My HE-400i's aren’t what I expected, maybe they're not being used to their full potential? I don't know, I recently sold my Sennhesier 598's and got a pair of HE-400i's. I use my Onboard sound from my LGA 1150 Maximus VII motherboard and tuned it to my likings, sadly, it honestly sounded the same as my 598's. I was really disappointed, all this clambering about how amazing planar drivers were, the clarity, the bass, everything, but to me they sounded the same and didn't even get close to as loud as my old 598's. Until it hit me, I do need an amplifier for this to work well, maybe not, maybe yes. I'm really over how much I spent to get a glorified pair of 598's, and I want you guys to help me figure out how to unlock the full nut busting potential of these headphones, I've been wrestling with this issue for a while now. My biggest fear of using an amplifier though, is that my personal preference on voice clarity, mids, lows, highs etc. will not be able to be tweakable after I lose the functionality of being able to use an equalizer due to the use of my onboard audio, I love having an equalizer because I can fine tune it, and trust me, when I turn off all my functions for my equalizer, the headphones sound like 4$ CVS earbuds. Please help! I am willing to spend below 350$!

The photos below are what I have my equalizer and sonic studio preferences set to, the first one being the sonic studio preferences and the second being the equalizer preferences.

1audio.png

qualitrzer.PNG

Check out my build babes  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wyrr8d

They're pretty easy to run, you shouldn't really *need* an amp. You can buy a cheap one and see how it does; no need to spend anywhere near $350.

Perhaps you just don't like the way these headphones sound? As much as people lament them, I find I like Beats headphones the most. Sound's a pretty personal experience.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Get yourself a headphone amp/dac and use that to drive the headphones... A good one, please. 

Optical out on the MB to the amp/dac or USB. 

Just now, Belgarathian said:

Get yourself a headphone amp/dac and use that to drive the headphones... A good one, please. 

Optical out on the MB to the amp/dac or USB. 

Anyones you suggest?

2 minutes ago, JimmieJongers said:

Anyones you suggest?

I have the AudioEngine D1 which is reasonably good for the price... But it really depends on your budget... I didn't have $500 to spend at the time. 

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1-24-bit-Digital-to-Analog-Converter/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477437220&sr=8-1&keywords=Audio+Engine+D1

They recommend this one.

http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/59

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Your on-board should be fine for them

Are You using rear jack?

You may just Not Like them

1 hour ago, JimmieJongers said:

My HE-400i's aren’t what I expected, maybe they're not being used to their full potential? I don't know, I recently sold my Sennhesier 598's and got a pair of HE-400i's. I use my Onboard sound from my LGA 1150 Maximus VII motherboard and tuned it to my likings, sadly, it honestly sounded the same as my 598's. I was really disappointed, all this clambering about how amazing planar drivers were, the clarity, the bass, everything, but to me they sounded the same and didn't even get close to as loud as my old 598's. Until it hit me, I do need an amplifier for this to work well, maybe not, maybe yes. I'm really over how much I spent to get a glorified pair of 598's, and I want you guys to help me figure out how to unlock the full nut busting potential of these headphones, I've been wrestling with this issue for a while now. My biggest fear of using an amplifier though, is that my personal preference on voice clarity, mids, lows, highs etc. will not be able to be tweakable after I lose the functionality of being able to use an equalizer due to the use of my onboard audio, I love having an equalizer because I can fine tune it, and trust me, when I turn off all my functions for my equalizer, the headphones sound like 4$ CVS earbuds. Please help! I am willing to spend below 350$!

The photos below are what I have my equalizer and sonic studio preferences set to, the first one being the sonic studio preferences and the second being the equalizer preferences.

1audio.png

qualitrzer.PNG

That eq is probably messing them up with the 12db gain jump from 65 to 30hrz.  

If they don't get loud enough, get an amp.  You can still use your eq with an amp.  I recommend Schiit magni 2 for $99.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

14 minutes ago, spwath said:

That eq is probably messing them up with the 12db gain jump from 65 to 30hrz.  

If they don't get loud enough, get an amp.  You can still use your eq with an amp.  I recommend Schiit magni 2 for $99.

I'm going to get a Schiit Magni 2 I think, to connect my earphones to my computer would i just have to plug the usb into my comptuer, then plug the earphones into the front of the device, or would I also have to plug in the RCA cables aswell?

4 minutes ago, JimmieJongers said:

I'm going to get a Schiit Magni 2 I think, to connect my earphones to my computer would i just have to plug the usb into my comptuer, then plug the earphones into the front of the device, or would I also have to plug in the RCA cables aswell?

No. Magni 2 doesnt have USB. Just RCA cables.

Amps dont have  USB. DACs do.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

No. Magni 2 doesnt have USB. Just RCA cables.

Amps dont have  USB. DACs do.

How would I hookup my amplifier to my computer, and still be able to use my equalizer then?

5 minutes ago, JimmieJongers said:

How would I hookup my amplifier to my computer, and still be able to use my equalizer then?

You just plug it in with an RCA to 3.5mm cable

1 minute ago, spwath said:

You just plug it in with an RCA to 3.5mm cable

And then the power comes through the USB cable, I'll still be able to use my on board equalizer right?

Just now, JimmieJongers said:

And then the power comes through the USB cable, I'll still be able to use my on board equalizer right?

There is no USB cable whatsoever.

1 minute ago, JimmieJongers said:

No. it has a dedicated power cable.

but yes, you would still be able to use the on board equalizer.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

There is no USB cable whatsoever.

True I just looked, Thank you!

3 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

No. it has a dedicated power cable.

but yes, you would still be able to use the on board equalizer.

True I just looked, thank you!

12dB at 30Hz suggests that your onboard has massive roll-off on the low end. I suggest getting it out of the chain entirely.

12 minutes ago, SSL said:

12dB at 30Hz suggests that your onboard has massive roll-off on the low end. I suggest getting it out of the chain entirely.

Are you actually suggesting a DAC stack/combo? I'm surprised that you are since you don't do that very often. But, seeing that OP has an LGA1150 board, it's quite possible it's one of those with the bad onboard audio you'd mentioned a while back (IIRC).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 minute ago, GamerDude said:

Are you actually suggesting a DAC stack/combo? I'm surprised that you are since you don't do that very often. But, seeing that OP has an LGA1150 board, it's quite possible it's one of those with the bad onboard audio you'd mentioned a while back (IIRC).

If HE-400i sounds like earbuds, there's nothing for it.

16 minutes ago, SSL said:

I think i'm going to go with Magni 2 Headphone amplifier, it suits the needs that I have, hopefully. It will raise the volume and hopefully unlock the features the HE-400i's have to offer because I've heard so many great things about them, if not then i'm switching to a pair of Sennheiser 650s 

1 minute ago, JimmieJongers said:

I think i'm going to go with Magni 2 Headphone amplifier, it suits the needs that I have, hopefully. It will raise the volume and hopefully unlock the features the HE-400i's have to offer because I've heard so many great things about them, if not then i'm switching to a pair of Sennheiser 650s 

650s are even harder to drive.

20 minutes ago, JimmieJongers said:

If so the Magni 2 won't have any issue right? 

Well, it really depends on your definition of loud enough, but I'd expect the Magni 2 to be able to power the HE400i/HD650 to sufficiently loud enough volume. When I had the Vali v1, I recall it being easily able to power my HD800 and Alpha Dog, I don't listen at ear bleeding loud volume (unlike my friend) but I recall the volume knob on the Vali at not pass the 11 o'clock mark (pleanty of headroom/reserve left). I now have a Gustard X12/H10 stack, as well as an Oppo HA-1 combo, they ensure that I need not be too concern about my DAC/amps having insufficient power to drive a can if I buy a new can......which I don't intend to as I have way too many cans already.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

30 minutes ago, JimmieJongers said:

If so the Magni 2 won't have any issue right? 

It won't have any problems.  IMO a good DAC & AMP is a great investment, if you get a decent set from the get-go, it will last through almost any headphone upgrade.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

+12 dB bass and treble?!

Aren't you just getting terrabad clipping?? You don't push the slider above 0dB, you lower everything except bass such that bass is still louder relative to other frequencies. We have bass rolloff AND treble 'rolloff'? o.O

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?