Get Kaby Lake, or wait for Canonlake? (CAD Computer)

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
41 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I dont plan on waiting past 2017, so this is the year I buy,  it's just how long into 2017 do I wait is the question.

Then you should not wait for cannonlake.

I have two computer's I'm looking at upgrades for (one is my person rig at home with a 4790k, but I'm probably not going to upgrade for a while, not needed yet IMO) so we will focus of computer #2

Computer #2 is a Workstation PC that is using a E5 1607 (V0!!!) xeon, manufactured from the end of 2011/beginning of 2012 @3GHz, quad core no hyperthredding. This PC was assembled in 2012/2013 (not sure) and we have been using it since 2013. It's primary role is Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD. They're not big projects though; we aernt building an entire skid model for a power station with 100,000+ parts in it.Much more simple, sub 100 parts so in my opinion a lot of the "workstation" hardware is wasted (Nvidia m2000, ECC memory). Mostly because our 3D software only has parts of it that are multi threaded enabled, which are parts we use very rarely here. I have determined that Core Clock is more important than number of cores, though I still like hyper threading. So I've convinced my boss to let me choose the next computer (Sadly I cannot build it myself as it "needs a warranty" so I'll have to *sob* buy it pre built)

With that out of the way, Would it be better to get Kaby Lake computers when they release in early 2017, or wait for the new 10nm architecture in the Canonlake series (is it worth the wait)? I've heard that Kaby Lake is sort of "Skylake+", as Intel broke their tick tock schedule which I'm just learning about. Obviously either would be a improvement to the current CPU I have. I have been tracking a "Benchmark thread" (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/how-fast-is-your-inventor-pc-really/td-p/5950908/page/24 my post is the IPI score of 5.02) on Autodesk's website for Inventor and so far the Best CPU for Autodesk Inventor is currently the 6700K (hence the moving away from workstation internals) so in theory Canonlake with it's improved clock speeds would definitely be better than Skylake in this regard. (For example, I'd love to get a Mainstream enabled Turbo Boost 3.0 CPU as this would be the perfect use case for the Single threaded optimized software, but I dfont know if that will be on Canonlake's list of features.)

I've basically done the research and am now looking for opinions. Are there any features of Canonlake that I would want to wait for? My computer isnt "smoking, bout to catch fire" or anything  but when comparing it to some of the computers on that thread, it's night and day.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It really depends on when you are planning on building and how far off the next processor is. Right now I would probably still do a Skylake over Kabylake. I wouldn't wait over a 2 month period for the minor update. Canonlake is a die shrink so that might also be a factor. Theoretically architecture update(features) will happen on the processor after Canonlake.

Edited by Lyte Starr

Obviously newer hardware will perform better than kaby lake...

But do you really want to wait 2+ years for that?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Lyte Starr said:

It really depends on when you are planning on building and how far off the next processor is. Right now I would probably still do a Skylake over Kabylake. I wouldn't wait over a 2 month period for the minor update. Canonlake is a die shrink so that might also be a factor. Theoretically architecture update(features) will happen on the processor after Canonlake.

Sadly I wouldn't be able to get this computer from my company unti after Kaby Lake has released anyways. And yes the 10nm architecture could be a factor yes but I just wasnt sure if it would launch with new features.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Obviously newer hardware will perform better than kaby lake...

But do you really want to wait 2+ years for that?

Kaby lake is slated to launch beginning of next year with Canon lake launching at the end of 2017, so really only one year. 

I dont want to wait, but if there's a good Feature that Canonlake has that I need I would wait

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Might as well wait for whatever comes after the lakes... River, maybe?

I'd get Kaby Lake. The 7000-series is looking somewhat promising but there are too few benchmarks to go off of.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Kaby lake is slated to launch beginning of next year with Canon lake launching at the end of 2017, so really only one year. 

I dont want to wait, but if there's a good Feature that Canonlake has that I need I would wait

It is 12-24 months in between generations. Not 6.

And the "good feature" is just more performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Improvements between generations from intel are around 5-10%. So it isnt like waiting will give you a twice as powerfull product for half the price. In my opinion:

There is always the next gen to wait for, if you start waiting for it you will never buy anything.

Coffeelake

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Coffeelake

I read that Coffee Lake will be released after Canonlake but still use the 14nm architecture from Skylake. (it also releases in 2018 so)

17 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Might as well wait for whatever comes after the lakes... River, maybe?

I'd get Kaby Lake. The 7000-series is looking somewhat promising but there are too few benchmarks to go off of.

11 minutes ago, QBtech said:

Improvements between generations from intel are around 5-10%. So it isnt like waiting will give you a twice as powerfull product for half the price. In my opinion:

There is always the next gen to wait for, if you start waiting for it you will never buy anything.

I dont plan on waiting past 2017, so this is the year I buy,  it's just how long into 2017 do I wait is the question.

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It is 12-24 months in between generations. Not 6.

And the "good feature" is just more performance.

Duely noted.

27 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Sadly I wouldn't be able to get this computer from my company unti after Kaby Lake has released anyways. And yes the 10nm architecture could be a factor yes but I just wasnt sure if it would launch with new features.

Maybe you should wait until features are leaked, not released, then use that information to decide whether to get Kaby or Canon.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

41 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Thank you!