Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10 Pro

Blue_Meanie

I have the option too use windows 10 pro or 7 pro. As a operating system I prefer 7, but I don't want to miss out on dx 12. Should I go just for dx 12 or use the much better os?

3 minutes ago, Blue_Meanie said:

I have the option too use windows 10 pro or 7 pro. As a operating system I prefer 7, but I don't want to miss out on dx 12. Should I go just for dx 12 or use the much better os?

Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 I think will only be supported up until 2018?.. (don't quote me on the year) but its days are numbered. Also on that, Windows 7 is only getting security updates now, no more feature updates. 

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Windows 10 for Windows Defender and (maybe?) better Bitlocker support?

I have never and will never use Bitlocker (I don't even know what it is) and I have 0 cares about Windows defender

Just now, VAkena said:

Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 I think will only be supported up until 2018?.. (don't quote me on the year) but its days are numbered. 

That was one worry I had

3 minutes ago, Blue_Meanie said:

Windows 10 Pro. Will be more relevant in the future (till like 2025 or something). It's the most recent, isn't that bad, and Microsoft is gonna force it on us anyway so might as well get it.

Just install Classic Shell and you're golden

I have used classic shell before and I did enjoy it... I guess I should go for windows 10. What is bitlocker may I ask

1 minute ago, Blue_Meanie said:

That was one worry I had

Go with Windows 10 dude, the Anniversary Update is awesome (bringing lots of performance improvements) and it's just future-proof (literally)

The Anniversary Update is death. I liked Windows 10, but the Anniversary Update messed up all my settings and broke all my drivers.

Did you do the upgrade option? Cause I just went with the fresh install... Whenever I'm migrating OSes, I tend to start fresh cause anything wrong with my previous OS is gone.. I recommend you fresh install or stay stick with the 10586 build (very stable, still performs well though)

Go for 10, if you don't care about privacy.

30 minutes ago, Blue_Meanie said:

I would approach it like this: Windows 7 is already legacy software in 2016, but Windows 10 will continue to be supported for over 50 years... one purchase will stay updated for all that time.

One issue though, Microsoft was accused of deliberately sabotaging Windows 10 copies on older machines repeatedly over the yeas, and they likely were. Windows 7 won't get official security updates will stop getting updates in 2020, but will not slow down to force you into getting a new PC.   

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

i have no complaints about windows 10 except for all the standert windows shit like auto updates etc. so i would say go for 10 for the longer suport.

Windows 7 has Windows Defender... it's called Microsoft Security Essentials.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

I'd say Windows 10.

I'm a user since the very first insider version of the system. Windows 7 is very outdated, its a 7 year old system at this point.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

40 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

But the Windows 10 version is wayyyyyyyyy better

Is it actually? If so, in what way? I use other virus protection, but Windows 7 also has Windows Defender, and they both receive their update threat-detection lists directly from Microsoft, and I'm presuming that they both receive the exact same threat-detection list, and so would be exactly the same, because the malicious software that they look for isn't magically good when directed at one OS and then bad when directed at another.

The interface for the Windows 10 one also looks just like the Windows 7 one.

If there's something else that's different about it, please let me know.

As for the OP's question, here's my general opinion on the subject:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 hours ago, Crowes said:

Windows 7 has Windows Defender... it's called Microsoft Security Essentials.

Useless, disabling it may increase your windows security.

I'm using Free AVG from 4 years ago and for about 1 month I bought it for 20$/year.

Regarding Windows choice, go for Windows 10, it's good, unlike windows 8.
Microsoft goes one good version, one bad version, one good version, one bad version.

8.* is bad , 10 is good.

Let me rephrase that, better optimization for new hardware and drivers, you don't need poweriso/daemon tools, you can rightClick -> mount.

It will take a little time to get used to where are things in the interface ( Settings, Control Panel or other settings) but it won't be too hard, and if you go for gaming, I found that my rig has better performance in windows 10 than in 7.

Please search for drivers for Windows 10 for your hardware before upgrading.

Tell us what you did :)

Edited by XRaYdeR

Windows 10 Pro is awesome... nuff said.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 10/23/2016 at 6:35 PM, Blue_Meanie said:

On 10/23/2016 at 6:41 PM, VAkena said:

Go with Windows 10 dude, the Anniversary Update is awesome (bringing lots of performance improvements) and it's just future-proof (literally)

Can confirm. Having been a Windows Insider since Windows 10 launched, I've been dying to see the Anniversary update finally go live.

It's changed so much in Windows 10 (for the better) that I now recommend Win 10 over 7, even for business use.

On 10/23/2016 at 7:00 PM, Dutch-stoner said:

Go for 10, if you don't care about privacy.

Do you have a bank account? If so, your privacy has already been leaked all over the net, so using Win 10 isn't much different.

2 hours ago, XRaYdeR said:

Useless, disabling it may increase your windows security.

I'm using Free AVG from 4 years ago and for about 1 month I bought it for 20$/year.

I have no idea how well AVG PAID security works, but AVG Free has gone downhill very fast in recent years.

The last few clients I dealt with had AVG Free, along with AVG Toolbar and AVG TuneUp, both of which bordered along the lines of search hijacking and "fake scanning software". Maybe AVG PAID is better, but Free is an absolute no no.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

15 hours ago, kirashi said:

Can confirm. Having been a Windows Insider since Windows 10 launched, I've been dying to see the Anniversary update finally go live.

It's changed so much in Windows 10 (for the better) that I now recommend Win 10 over 7, even for business use.

now my experience is the exact opposite - windows 10 got worse with every update and slowed down with every useless feature they added to the point I had to wipe my drive and go back to win 7.

anniversary update ??? i could not care less because all it will be is another load of the same crap they did all year.

windows 10 looked so promising at first but they totally messed it up for me. sad but true - maybe they got it sorted out by 2020 when they pull the plug on win 7 but until then it seems like i only got 2 options: stay on 7 or go full linux.

somebody kill me please

20 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

But the Windows 10 version is wayyyyyyyyy better

They're both exactly the same.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

7 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

--SNIP--

anniversary update ??? i could not care less because all it will be is another load of the same crap they did all year.

--SNIP--

maybe they got it sorted out by 2020 when they pull the plug on win 7 but until then it seems like i only got 2 options: stay on 7 or go full linux.

Well, by that logic we should have just continued to improve the Win XP kernel and never upgraded from Win XP's interface. To some degree, I actually half agree with the Win XP die-hards who "swear they will never use anything else" from a utilitarian standpoint. All the control panel settings were in the right places and you didn't have to fish around for obscure settings that might be in the New Control Panel in Win 7, or worse, the Settings App in Win 8/10. But technology must move forward... or so I've been told.

I'd love to switch over to a full stack Debian environment for development and work purposes, but cannot do it until these programs are available on Linux:

• Microsoft Office
  • Adobe CS/CC Apps
  • Games (ALL of them, not just the ones that developers deem worthy enough)

Alternatively, if you can get the corporate world to switch away from Microsoft Office and Adobe CS/CC, I'm all for using LibreOffice and whatever equivalent is out there for the Adobe Suite, but until that happens, my job, and many others, depend on using Windows in order to work with files in the industry. :(

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

Well, by that logic we should have just continued to improve the Win XP kernel and never upgraded from Win XP's interface.

I am not saying that progress is a bad thing in general - and I actually liked the new interface.

I am not saying that windows 10 is crap just because it is new and different - it WAS good when it started but they butchered it and NOW it is crap. 

this is what killed it for me:

have a supposedly more refined and less shiny interface (no 3d-ish buttons, no transparency/glass effects) but perform worse on a machine that ran vista and 7 in full eye candy mode with no noticeable lag is kind of stupid - I thought windows 10 is more efficient ??? if its not the eye candy then what is using all those resources ?

and that is not only the problem with old hardware when even a brand new machine becomes unusably laggy and slow because some background process decides to cause 100% I/O load on the D: drive for NO APPARENT REASON - THIS is not acceptable.

to leave the computer on over night because some update kicked in that takes forever to finish and come back in the morning just just to find the pc stuck at the exact same 26% progress it was at when I went to bed - THIS is not acceptable.

a reset then caused the computer to boot into a black screen right after the bios logo.

if the user is not supposed to have control over wich updates get installed and wich don't then IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE to roll out updates that can crash, are broken or do break things. period.

i just built this system and already have to suppress the urge to smash it with a huge old hammer and that is also not acceptable.

if I have to spend more time to work around problems then i can spend time actually using the damn thing then something is really, really wrong.

an operating system has ONE JOB: to let me operate the system and not get in the way.

windows 10 completely failed at this task. it got in the way too many times.

now windows 7 runs on this very machine without any of the problems mentioned above.

no - win7 does not have native FLAC support for media player

no - win7 can't use any of the games and apps from the windows store (I really started to like jigsaw)

yes - win7 is outdated technology wich has a lot of downsides

but at least I can actually USE my system.

maybe I should keep windows 10 on a virtual machine just to watch its progress - if they finally manage to get the stick out of their ass i might come back to it. but that won't be any time soon i'm afraid.

I would just go with windows 10 just because it new and it will be updated more.

On 10/26/2016 at 2:06 AM, kirashi said:

The last few clients I dealt with had AVG Free, along with AVG Toolbar and AVG TuneUp, both of which bordered along the lines of search hijacking and "fake scanning software". Maybe AVG PAID is better, but Free is an absolute no no.

I bought AVG Ultimate for 24 usd, I don't use AVG Toolbar or AVG TuneUp at all, those are "an absolute no no" but they antivirus itself it's very good, uses few system resources and offers good protection and it's simple to use.

I just use it on all my devices and I never had a virus of which I knew and they didn't slow my devices or created errors with games and/or apps.
And I like that you can disable it just by right-click and Disable.

On Topic: I'm using Windows 10 and it's very responsive, better than Win7, uses the same resources as Win7, Slowdowns may happen if you don't have video graphic card drivers installed and I mean the manufacturer's drivers, not what the operating system installs, or if your computer is downloading/installing updates for itself or if the antivirus downloads/installs updates.

Edited by XRaYdeR