Gun-Toting Robots May Fight Alongside Soldiers in Future Battles

Youbetternot

Oh machine are taking over the world at least for war. The robot will be remote control as for now and shoot rounds at enemy troops. Question is what will happen if a robot explodes next to a troop?

robot-527x500.jpgc30dfd804197159b099b39d569576504_resized

American soldiers may soon be joined on the battlefield by machine gun-toting robots on wheels, according to U.S. Army officials.

Earlier this month, military leaders attended a technology demonstration at Fort Benning, Ga., where robotics companies exhibited their most advanced weaponized creations, reported ComputerWorld.com. The display was designed to show the potential ways robots could support troops in combat.

Army leaders watched a human controller command a wheeled robot, positioned more than 300 feet (90 meters) away, open fire with an M240 machine gun. The robot, which also uses thermal-imaging technology to spot concealed enemies, could protect soldiers from potentially dangerous assaults.

Humanoid robots fighting alongside troops on the battlefield may be some time off, the current wheel-bound creations already show strong promise, according to the Army. [Humanoid Robots to Flying Cars: 10 Coolest DARPA Projects]

"We were hoping to see how they remotely control lethal weapons," Lt. Col. Willie Smith, chief of unmanned ground vehicles at Fort Benning, told ComputerWorld of the technology demonstration. "We were pleased with what we saw here. The technology is getting to be where it needs to be. It's a start."

While gun-toting robots are not yet officially used by the military in combat, the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marines have experimented with prototype machines.

Smith said he is unsure how soon armed robots may join the Army's ranks, but he hopes the military will begin introducing these types of robots into battlefield settings within five years. "They're not just tools, but members of the squad. That's the goal," Smith told ComputerWorld.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/gun-toting-robots-may-fight-alongside-soldiers-future-225612827.html

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/528935/machine_gun-toting_robots_may_soon_back_up_u_soldiers/?utm_medium=rss&utm_source=sectionfeed

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Just asking for things to go bad...

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

For war now,then used on civilians like drones when there's martial law. 

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

They are probably to slow.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

These have been around for a few years now

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

These have been around for a few years now

Yes, but I think these new ones are automated, whereas the ones we have now require someone to control them.

COMIC SANS

Just asking for things to go bad...

Solider develops a conscious and stops waring, the commander turns the bot to kill the soldier before he convinces more to stop, yea! Then the bad guys decrypt the comm port/protocol and again turn it on those using the bots, yea!

Then the general soldier shenanigans and they turn the bot on the commander(s) :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Yes, but I think these new ones are automated, whereas the ones we have now require someone to control them.

They are not, all of these robots have a user on the trigger. It would be insane to not have a user on the trigger.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

T1 prototype...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

They are not, all of these robots have a user on the trigger. It would be insane to not have a user on the trigger.

I agree. No matter how advanced technology gets, humans should never automate the controls on AI in a situation where peoples lives are at risk.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T1 prototype...

NSA is building SkyNet so T1 is next in line.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

How about no war at all?

That aside...we've known about this for a long time. The military has been working on soldier-like robots for years now and seems to be coming pretty far in the field. However, unless we continue to create major conflicts, the military will likely opt to use drones to clear up small battles.

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

Dont you get it ?  In war there are two sides. Now, it often happens that when first side switch to newer wepons or improve their weaponry, other side do it too.

Now When First side switch to bots.  Second side switches too .. What does that mean ? Battleground full of robots shooting at each other..

Get it ?

Just send there those post delivery drones with camera and we have cool show about Robots wars on TV :)

T1 prototype...

The Caparo T1?

This?

post-29406-0-64650700-1382561076.jpg

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Oh dear

BRAIN: intel i5 4670k @ 4.0 ghz stock voltage. GPU: ZOTAC GTX 770*2, both @ 1300mhz core 7900mhz memory. 
CASE: custom painted Fractal Design R4.        SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 pro.    STORAGE: 2TB WD NAS.                 MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE z87x-ud3h
PSU: Corsair 760.    LIGHTS: NZXT hue.          FANS: 4 NZXT rifle bearing.          RAM: 2*4GB patriot black mamba.    CPU COOLER: Noctua NH C12P with NZXT 140mm fan.  

Why not, just not fight in the first place? what is the point these days? they go out of there way to find something to fight about....

They never think about that do they....

This world would be so much different if the human species wasn't so stupid.....

Least it will be over pretty soon, someone is bound to start WW3 eventually and wipe everyone out....its just a matter of time.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

This looks like something meant to be controlled with an Xbox controller..come on.

Seems kinda cowardly to make machines fight for you, but that's just my view. If you can't fight toe to toe like a man, don't bloody fight at all.

The Caparo T1?

This?

attachicon.gif50633-c-cap-.jpg

no. this

T1sw3.jpg

haven't you watched a terminator movie??

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

That's pretty interesting!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB