PNY GTX 1060 good?

Clanscorpia

So I found an amazing price on a 6GB 1060, 330 CAD, but it's made from PNY and I hear the cooler is flimsy. Could I say, make my own plastic cover by 3D printing one or just mod a cooler from another company on?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

It's almost the same cooler like on my Palit 1060.

The shroud is plastic and no backplate but temps are under 70°C at max load when overclocked to 2076MHz core and 9000MHz VRAM at max 60% fan speed which is more silent than Gigabyte Windforce cooler on my previous 770.

Just now, WereCat said:

It's almost the same cooler like on my Palit 1060.

The shroud is plastic and no backplate but temps are under 70°C at max load when overclocked to 2076MHz core and 9000MHz VRAM at max 60% fan speed which is more silent than Gigabyte Windforce cooler on my previous 770.

How the quality of it? Does it feel like its going to break?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

How the quality of it? Does it feel like its going to break?

The shroud is pretty low quality but cooler and PCB are really nice for the price.

It won't break unless you squeeze it tight.

Just now, WereCat said:

The shroud is pretty low quality but cooler and PCB are really nice for the price.

It won't break unless you squeeze it tight.

:/ It looks pretty ugly though. Idk... I might get the XFX 480, or the Asus Dual

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

:/ It looks pretty ugly though. Idk... I might get the XFX 480, or the Asus Dual

It looks better IRL than on pictures but it definitely isn't one of the good looking cards.

I am happy with it though.

If I was shopping for 1060 now I would pick the one from Inno3D as those have beast cooler for cheap and you also get 3D Mark and VR Mark with it.

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You could always paint and cut the shroud.

PNY usually makes quadro cards, but they're a good brand.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

You could always paint and cut the shroud.

PNY usually makes quadro cards, but they're a good brand.

:/ but like the window side is legit just matte black plastic. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

:/ but like the window side is legit just matte black plastic. 

That's why I said you could cut it.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

That's why I said you could cut it.

I mean like it would be hard to get it to look nice. If I dont get this 980 then Ill get the Nitro+ I hear the + versions are binned

Spoiler

AXIOM

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I mean like it would be hard to get it to look nice. If I dont get this 980 then Ill get the Nitro+ I hear the + versions are binned

The XFX its better. Sapphire is usually really good but this time the XFX version is just way better.

More silent, more cool.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01JM1C5BY/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476879349&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=xfx+gtr+480

Edit.. wrong link.

I meant the XFX GTR..that one is apparently $400+ for some reason.

Just now, WereCat said:

The XFX its better. Sapphire is usually really good but this time the XFX version is just way better.

More silent, more cool.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01JM1C5BY/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476879349&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=xfx+gtr+480

No the RS is crap GTS is the good one. RS has had a crap ton of issues

Spoiler

AXIOM

No the RS is crap GTS is the good one. RS has had a crap ton of issues

Yea.. I edited my post. Sorry.

Just now, WereCat said:

Yea.. I edited my post. Sorry.

I also just realized the PNY takes 1-4 months to ship xD 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Im going to hope I get the EVGA FTW 980 for $340 but if not RX 480 here I come :P 

Spoiler

AXIOM

I also just realized the PNY takes 1-4 months to ship xD 

Lol.

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

To expensive. And the EVGA one is apparently really really bad

The SC is really good the cheaper one is bad.

They look almost the same but SC has a lot better cooler.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

The SC is really good the cheaper one is bad.

They look almost the same but SC has a lot better cooler.

Like the one with the ACX 2.0 cooler? I know the one with the ACX 3.0 cooler is a sexy beast but Im poor 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Like the one with the ACX 2.0 cooler? I know the one with the ACX 3.0 cooler is a sexy beast but Im poor 

Yes.

Btw this is photo of my Palit card.

IMG_20160728_160926.jpg

Just now, WereCat said:

Yes.

Btw this is photo of my Palit card.

IMG_20160728_160926.jpg

:/ I dont really like the look. I think Ill get the RX 480 MSi 4GB or Sapphire 480 8GB. And the EVGA 2.0 cooler sucks so much

Spoiler

AXIOM

:/ I dont really like the look. I think Ill get the RX 480 MSi 4GB or Sapphire 480 8GB. And the EVGA 2.0 cooler sucks so much

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's up to you and your preferences.