Can I run two different graphics cards in my PC?

Hello,

I am curious to know if windows 10 supports multiple GPUs of different models. My purpose is to have one GPU dedicated to gaming (GTX1080) and a secondary GPU dedicated to running two separate monitors. I'm wanting to do this so that the other two monitors aren't affecting the gameplay on my main monitor. Is this possible? I currently have a GTX1060 or GTX760 that I could throw in if this would actually work. Does anyone know if this can be done? I'd rather not take my PC apart again and try all this if it's not going to work anyway. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Yep. You can mix brands aswell. Id try the igpu if you have one first. 

No reason to have a second gpu for a second monitor, just use a second monitor out. Its when you start getting 5+ mnoitors/

All depends on game support mate. 

Magical Pineapples

37 minutes ago, Gamers.Care said:

I am curious to know if windows 10 supports multiple GPUs of different models. My purpose is to have one GPU dedicated to gaming (GTX1080) and a secondary GPU dedicated to running two separate monitors. I'm wanting to do this so that the other two monitors aren't affecting the gameplay on my main monitor. Is this possible?

While you can do that, it's pointless. Just having the monitors plugged into the main GPU won't hammer performance. So unless your 1080 doesn't have enough outputs, don't even bother plugging the 760.

Or, have it in for the sake of doing some crunching for a distributed computing project of your preference. That's another option (and damn good one!).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I use multiple unique GPU's for non real time computational task's such as 3D Rendering and simulation, it works great. I haven't tried it for running extra displays but it will work just fine. As far as performance goes though you won't see any gains as the load placed on having extra monitors is basically non existent. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I have xsplit open too and it's not recording or streaming but I am using the "projector" output to display what's on one screen on to the other. Why not just dusplicate? Because the monitor I'm gaming on is UHD 60fps but the other monitor I need to see the same feed on is only UHD 30fps. I also have another 2560x1080 monitor plugged in for monitoring performance and just as a second screen. I was just hoping adding another card to the mix might help a bit

• 3 weeks later...

If I install a second graphics card, will it do the video rendering that happens on the second monitor if it's plugged in to it? My primary purpose is to remove the load from the gtx 1080

The performance hit for running extra displays for just monitoring stuff like x-split, having browser windows open, and the such, is basically non-existent. I wouldn't even worry about it.

I have a Gtx 970 & used to have two panels. One plugged the Gtx, other into iGPU. 

When both where on, didn't matter what was on them, performance was stable.

BUT, soon as I got rid of 2nd panel  entirely (gave to a friend) performance boost was HUGE. Rocket league & overwatch went from ~80 FPS to maxing my panel's 144 FPS! World of tanks/warships saw similar jump. 

So even using the iGPU for the second panel, I was taking a cut. 

TL;dr - it will work, but might not be worth it.

Well the second monitor is a 2160p30 image and it is affecting performance. So it sounds like if I'm doing enough on the other monitors, another card will help?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just ordered another GTX 1080. Hopefully this fixes the issues I'm having