Rotation Of A CPU Cooler

Hi I've been recently planning to buy and build myself a PC, it's my first time. My CPU of choice is a Amd FX-9590, here's where the problem begins...

I originally was planning to buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo to cool it, but I read some posts regarding this CPU, and it's high tdp 220w would be to high for the CPU cooler to support, therefore I went at looked even more.

I then had to make a choice, either air cooled or water cooled. I didn't really like the idea of water cooled so I went air cooled. I had chosen 2 CPU coolers, the Cryorig R1 Ultimate and the Noctua NH-D115. And another problem is introduced.

I looked at the images for each of the CPU coolers installed, and they seem to be quite, well... "Large". Large enough that they overhang over the RAM slots, I checked my chosen RAM sticks and they were not low profile.

Now here's my question, is it possible to rotate the CPU cooler to have it face vertically not horizontally. Should I go water-cooled. Or is there another Air-cooled CPU cooler out there that would be smaller?

I think FX 9590 already has a stock cooler with it. And what purpose is your pc for. In most case getting an intel would be beneficial

EDIT: It seems 9590 comes with 2 variants: one with and one w/o cooler

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I think FX 9590 already has a stock cooler with it. And what purpose is your pc for. In most case getting an intel would be beneficial

No stock cooler.

Stay far fay away from the 9590. Id get a i5 or i7 any day. Its much faster, uses 1/3 of the power, and supports things like pcie3, nvme storage.

yes, you can rotate the CPU cooler but that probably wont solve your problem. you can take the front fan off the NH-D15 and either only use the one in the middle or put it on the back of the cooler and it should work just fine

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No stock cooler.

Stay far fay away from the 9590. Id get a i5 or i7 any day. Its much faster, uses 1/3 of the power, and supports things like pcie3, nvme storage.

I actually have my reasons ^_^

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

yes, you can rotate the CPU cooler but that probably wont solve your problem. you can take the front fan off the NH-D15 and either only use the one in the middle or put it on the back of the cooler and it should work just fine

OK thanks for the recommendations

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are they. Its a horrible cpu these days.

I don't really have a good reason, I don't mind if its not the fastest but it's that I just want to try the Amd side of things and if that brings a lot of negative reasons towards it, I won't mind. All the pre-built computers in my house are Intel Powered PCs, I want to see and experience all the parts to the AMD Side. It's kind of stupid but that's just me... :)

Just now, ILUVDOGE said:

I don't really have a good reason, I don't mind if its not the fastest but it's that I just want to try the Amd side of things and if that brings a lot of negative reasons towards it, I won't mind. All the pre-built computers in my house are Intel Powered PCs, I want to see and experience all the parts to the AMD Side. It's kind of stupid but that's just me... :)

WAIT FOR ZEN. Your wasting money and power with a 9590.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

WAIT FOR ZEN. Your wasting money and power with a 9590.

I haven't placed an order yet though

1 hour ago, ILUVDOGE said:

is it possible to rotate the CPU cooler to have it face vertically not horizontally?

Depends on the cooler, most of them I'd say no. am2/3+ bolt spacing isn't square, its rectangular it depends highly on the heat sinks mounting method whether or not you can rotate it. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

No, you can't rotate dual tower coolers. They just wouldn't fit other way (because of way mobo is build and top of case). But D15 is already very supportive for RAM and you can move fan to allow higher RAM. Which modules you are planning to get? G.Skill RipjawX or HyperX Savage are good and not too tall (Savage being about normal height).

TDP is also bit wrong thing to look when getting cooler. I'd say D15 is way overkill unless you plan to OC all the way. Look at some reviews or user experiences with that CPU to get some idea how it runs with stock cooler or 3rd party options.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv