Studio Monitors, Passive Hi-Fi Speakers, Or Headphones

Truleyy

What set of Monitors/speakers/headphones are you using & Why are you using them?

How long have you been using them?

would you recommend them?

and why?

B|

2 minutes ago, Truleyy said:

HD 668b, they were cheap, 10 months, fiio e07k, 11 months, onboard audio died, might as well upgrade

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

3 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

HD 668b, they were cheap, 10 months, fiio e07k, 11 months, onboard audio died, might as well upgrade

Nice, On my desk workstation I'm using a RME babyface interface out to a Mackie Bigknob for selecting between 2 different Monitors & 1 Passive Monitor set (A/B/C & Sub mix control )

A - Yamaha HS8's (active)

B - Yamaha HS5's (active)

C - Yamaha NS-10M Studios (powered by, Pioneer VSX-D1S vintage receiver)

Subwoofer - Adam Audio Sub12 (which I got for only $550 used but in Excellent condition, They retail at $2,000)

Headphones of choice - Sennheiser HD 280's

And in the same room is the home theater.

Tv mounted behind desk.

Receiver/Amp - Pioneer ELITE VSX-90 

L/R Mains - 2x Polk Audio RT2000p's (Discontinued)

Center - 1x Polk Audio TSi CS20's

Surround / Rear - 4x Polk Audio T15's

Subwoofers - 2x Polk Audio PSW505

I love being surrounded by Magnets. :P 

Just now, Truleyy said:

I had lots of speakers. All crappy, but then most of them died (can't tell if my error or not)

Nekkst K8 studio monitors, because wearing something on your head all the time is horribly uncomfortable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

I had lots of speakers. All crappy, but then most of them died (can't tell if my error or not)

I've never had a speaker die on me (Unintentionally Hahaha :D)

Usually speakers die due to only few factors.

Being Under-powered, Which causes distortion and can cause speaker coil to overheat.

Being Over-Powered, Which again causes the speaker to 'Bottom out' & blow.

Crossover unbalanced, Which implies to most smaller speakers cause bass can also cause distortion if the speakers Frequency response isn't accurately set.

Or, Destroying them Yourself with a sledgehammer. xD

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

because wearing something on your head all the time is horribly uncomfortable.

I can absolutely agree with that.

Just now, Truleyy said:

I've never had a speaker die on me (Unintentionally Hahaha :D)

Usually speakers die due to only few factors.

Being Under-powered, Which causes distortion and can cause speaker coil to overheat.

Being Over-Powered, Which again causes the speaker to 'Bottom out' & blow.

Crossover unbalanced, Which implies to most smaller speakers cause bass can also cause distortion if the speakers Frequency response isn't accurately set.

Or, Destroying them Yourself with a sledgehammer. xD

I think it was the amp that broke and pumped 120 volt through em. Oh well, it ends up fine because I got it free

Just now, RGProductions said:

I think it was the amp that broke and pumped 120 volt through em. Oh well, it ends up fine because I got it free

That will deff do it! I remember in high school my buddy and I would blow vintage subs by plugging it directly into a wall socket. Oh what great times!

Just now, Truleyy said:

That will deff do it! I remember in high school my buddy and I would blow vintage subs by plugging it directly into a wall socket. Oh what great times!

yeah, glad it didn't kill my PC

Studio monitors

• Event Opals. I bought them on a friend's recommendation and now I don't know how I mixed music without them. 

Passive speakers

• ELAC B6 Debuts in my living room and Wharfedale Diamond 225s in my home office. Both pairs offer great sound for the money, so that's why I bought them. The ELAC B6s are powered by a vintage Harmon Kardon Citation V and the Wharfedales are powered by a Marantz PM6006.

Headphones/earphones

• My two primary pairs are Sennheiser HD600s and Shure SE846s. Bot are powered by a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp and Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC. Both of them sound reasonably neutral, but the Shure's have a small boost in the lower range that I really enjoy. I also use a pair of Audio-Technica MSR7s for when I'm on the go.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Studio monitor/speaker

Argon 7460a. Got them fairly cheap, the audio quality is good, I sometimes miss a bit more treble.

Passive speakers

I am hoping to get some DynAudio m10 or m20 soon, because they seem to fit my taste perfectly.

Headphones

I have many, not sure how many, but I always seem to find more headphones when I look into my cabinet, but I have two main headphones, the HE560 and the K612. I use a O2 and ODAC combo with them. I really like neutral and flat sounding headphones and speakers so thse two headphones are perfect for me. I mainly use the K612 for rock music and for FPS games, because the sound signature is perfect for that IMO and they have a huge soundstage. The HE560 I use for everything else and they have the sweet planar bass.

EIM/Earbuds

I have some, the ones I use the most would be the Hifiman RE400i, but when I workout I use the Jaybirds X. Sometimes I use some Logic S100i Ferrari and T150i Ferrari. As you also can see here my main EIMs have the same kind of sound signature as my K612.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

passive speakers:

A pair of omega mini me's and a pair of Polk r15's, abs a Polk psw108, posted by a denon avr-590 to make a 4.1 surround set up.

headphones

A pair of Grado sr80e's and a pair of heavily modded (by me) fostex t50rp's.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

11 hours ago, Volbet said:

Wow! What an awesome line-up of gear man. Glad to see major audiophiles on here! 

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

You have a great line up of headphones, are you using any DAC's ?

and a good choice in Passive Speakers. Heard only good things about Dynaudio Emit Series.

2 hours ago, spwath said:

Nice, Love Polk audio gear. r15's have a similiar soundstage to the t15's that I personally own except the t15 have more of a brighter sound with less midrange. Good choice in gear. Would love to hear what your Omega's sound like. Sounds like overall a good quadrophonic setup.

7 minutes ago, Truleyy said:

Nice, Love Polk audio gear. r15's have a similiar soundstage to the t15's that I personally own except the t15 have more of a brighter sound with less midrange. Good choice in gear. Would love to hear what your Omega's sound like. Sounds like overall a good quadrophonic setup.

I like my omegas better than the polks, and they are beutifull.

Heres the omega an polk.

20160713_145524.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

21 minutes ago, Truleyy said:

Wow! What an awesome line-up of gear man. Glad to see major audiophiles on here! 

I don't know if I would describe myself as an audiophile. Sure, I love good audio, but my main concern has always been the music.

But then again, I'm currently listing to Swans on vinyl, so maybe I should just embrace the title of pretentious audiophile.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

22 minutes ago, Truleyy said:

You have a great line up of headphones, are you using any DAC's ?

and a good choice in Passive Speakers. Heard only good things about Dynaudio Emit Series.

yeah the ODAC, maybe some schiit DAC and amp in the futue. My headphones line up is hopefully going to expand soon. Maybe with some OPPO PM3 or some SE425, I need some better closed headphones than my m50 for lan parties and on the go. Yes I own a pair of m50, I am not proud of it, but they got me into this "higher end" audio 4 years ago.

I want the Emit m10 or 20, because of their sound signature, they have a very clean and detailed sound. Good thing my current speakers go for the same used as I got them for new. :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Studio Monitor (1 month)

-Kef x300a

These are great all-in-one setup, but a bit bass-lite and can't upgrade the amp/dac.

Headphones

-fostex th900 (2 years)

Haven't use these in a while after getting the speakers since I don't really need the isolation any more. Still great, but hard to recommend when there's thx00.

-64 A12 ciem (1 year)

Haven't use these in a long time as I just don't find it very comfortable compare to headphones/speakers and I rarely need the portability, but it still manages to surprise me of how good it is when I do use them.

7 minutes ago, iShad said:

Studio Monitor (1 month)

-Kef x300a

These are great all-in-one setup, but a bit bass-lite and can't upgrade the amp/dac.

Headphones

-fostex th900 (2 years)

Haven't use these in a while after getting the speakers since I don't really need the isolation any more. Still great, but hard to recommend when there's thx00.

-64 A12 ciem (1 year)

Haven't use these in a long time as I just don't find it very comfortable compare to headphones/speakers and I rarely need the portability, but it still manages to surprise me of how good it is when I do use them.

I would love to get a pair of th900 or thx00 at some point. They seem really nice.