120mm fan on 80mm heatsink

vex_dm

Hi people! I bought FX8300 cpu and fan is so anoying. I hate it very much. I won't even play games until I do something about it. I have 3 fans (120mm) in my case. Can I use one to attach on my amd original heatsink. Heatsink is stock without pipes. This is my solution until i get some money to buy another cooler.

No, because the mounting for 120mm fans is far bigger than 80mm fans.

Buy a 212 evo or something cheap like that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

im not 100%   but i don't think you can dude (could be wrong and im sure someone will correct me)

but surely it wouldn't be efficient.  for what its worth get something like a Cooler Master hyper 103   or even a hyper 212 

can pick a 103 up for £19.99 from curry  (if your in the UK)  probably even cheaper on amazon? 

i had one before i got my liquid cooler and they are good for the price 

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/pc-fans-and-coolers/coolermaster-hyper-103-rr-h103-22pb-r1-92-mm-cpu-cooler-10118700-pdt.html?PLA=1&cmpid=ppc~(PLA)&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=plwmalaii&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001428950!146780099246!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=c&ds_kids=92700014533182550&PLA=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwhILABRDwo8mlqt6ug38SJACNSq_kOGqA8hMUK_fPIthVlVn475Lz5Jzh4QD6_cyVVm5M5xoCCAPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 minutes ago, Ellen_orangecloud said:

Or if you're really desperate for super silent operation, I suggest save up a few more pennies and get yourself the cheapest AIO you can find. Go with used if you have to ^_^

cheap  AiOs are loud

get a 212 EVO or a Cryorig H7

I used to be quite active here.

Might work, might not.  The potential problem is the dead space found at the hub of all radial fans, ie. most of the air movement from a radial fan occurs near the tips of the blades, and much less so at the center.  If all the air movement flows around the sink then overall heat transfer might be reduced.  This seems to be less of a concern with aftermarket type sinks that stand off the motherboard, but could be a real problem with stock type coolers.

You certainly can give it a try, just monitor your temps closely for a while.

Edit: and you might get better results by mounting the larger fan offset, rather than centered directly over the sink.

You can usually fit any fan with a bit of modding. That being said, a 120mm fan wouldn't be as efficient as the smaller fan on the same heatsink and probably wouldn't cool nearly as well.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 hours ago, Ellen_orangecloud said:

Consider getting a Cryorig M9i or a Deepcool Gammaxx 400. 
The latter supports 120mm fans and is a great performer for the price. 

M9a you mean. Its AMD socket.

I would just wait and take the noise. It wouldn't do much of anything to change fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok. Thank you people.

I can't decide.. is it better to buy hyper 212x or AIO enermax liqmax II 120s?

I want overclock fx 8300 to 4.0ghz but I'm afraid of leaking AIO cooling. If there is no difference between this two in cooling then I rather go with hyper 212x. 

9 hours ago, vex_dm said:

Ok. Thank you people.

I can't decide.. is it better to buy hyper 212x or AIO enermax liqmax II 120s?

I want overclock fx 8300 to 4.0ghz but I'm afraid of leaking AIO cooling. If there is no difference between this two in cooling then I rather go with hyper 212x. 

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

What are they priced at? 

4ghz is barely an oc. Either would be more than enough for a 4.4ghz+ oc. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.