heating my room with my computer(it's cold a f)

ben dover kid

is it a bit far-fetched to run some benchmark for some arbitrary amount of time in order to (hopefully) heat up my room? and what benchmark would be best? one that would use both cpu and gpu as much as possible? probably. better put overclocks on as well

CrossFire R9 290X2 Hurr Durr.

In seriousness, this isn't a very long-term solution.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Just now, Crowes said:

CrossFire R9 290X2 Hurr Durr.

In seriousness, this isn't a very long-term solution.

i know it's not a long term solution(we do have electric heating) but this is an acute situation, i forgot my window open and electric heating only works at night.

when I come home I just run Furmak for 20 minutes

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

prime95 (with small ffts or custom ffts only) or aida64 for cpu. furmark/kombustor for gpu

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

4 GTX 480's

FX 9590 on a ASROCK 970 Pro 3 (The Fire will help warm up your room)

4 Maxtor Maxline III 250GB in raid 0.

Some really early ECC Buffered DDR3 without a heatsink and at a high frequency.

Also remember to have the  fire brigade on speed dial.

In all seriousness, just get a heater, you can get them for $40.

electric heaters can be incredibly power efficient

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Fan-Heater-2-.jpg

15$ mate

In all seriousness though, I had 2x 980ti's + a 4820k OC to 4.5Ghz. When I was playing the witcher 3 for 3-4 hours the room temperature got up by 3-4C. I had it watercooled though so all the heat was going directly into the room and not absorbed by the case or any other components. It's a bad solution.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

44 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

is it a bit far-fetched to run some benchmark for some arbitrary amount of time in order to (hopefully) heat up my room? and what benchmark would be best? one that would use both cpu and gpu as much as possible? probably. better put overclocks on as well

Instead of benchmarking software run Folding@Home, do some good and create some heat.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

I know a guy that heats his flat with an FX9590 and 2x r9 295x2 in quad cf.

i use the cold to overclock my CPU more lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, ben dover kid said:

If you are cold I have the perfect solution for you. With these ever so informative steps I can help you achieve maximum radiant heat in your bedroom. But you must follow these steps.

1: Make sure your stupid computer is plugged in and you have pants on(jacket is suggested, but not required).

2:Place your pc on carpet with nothing between as any type of hard surface won't emit enough heat to your pc to keep it warm as well.

2: Make sure your stupid computer has keyboard set up, or you will have "rookie" burned into your brain if you don't.

3: Make sure your dumb pc has mouse also. You need one.

4: Power On PC. Pray it doesn't die like it wants to.

5: Press whatever button you press to run bios(mine is "delete")

6: Click random buttons all across keyboard to warm up your computer

7:Click top right button(X) or else bad things will happen to you

8:Forget your password and remember again.

9:Log in(if you didn't know already)

10: Press "Ctrl+Alt+Delete to run extreme performance

11: Close out any and all programs.

12: Return to desktop, notice stress has kept you warm.

13: Stress no more.

14: Say nite to computer.

15: Curl up in ball and sleep like baby.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i use the cold to overclock my CPU more lol

It's perfect conditions to OC!

2 hours ago, Jovidah said:

Buy candles.

Or, good forbid, use a blanket...

iv tried candles, they don't work. i thought of lighting up a bonfire in my room but then i got the bright idea of using my computer. works well 5/5. 30 minutes of prime95 and furmark => warmness 

Have you tried stabbing the PSU, like 30 times? 

PC Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K  GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (FE)  Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4  PSU: Bequiet! Powerzone 650W  RAM:  32Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (white) 2400mhz  CPU Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 2tb HDD 5400rpm, 1x Toshiba 500gb HDD  Case: NZXT H440 (matte black w/ case fans)  Case Fan (Top Mounted): Notcua AF-14 144mm  LED Lights: TOP LED 2x30 Strips

Peripherals:

Speakers: M-AUDIO AV-42 (pair)  Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M20X,  Keyboard: AULA 859  Mouse: Tecknet  Microphone: RODE NT1-A  Audio Interface: ZOOM R8  

Camera Specs:

Cameras: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Canon 4000, Olympus OM-1, Zorki 4  Lenses: Olympus OM-1 Zuiko Macro, Regular and Telephoto, EFS 18mm-55mm, MFT 12mm, 25mm and 35mm, 50mm Jupiter 8, 50mm EFS

Software:

Editing: BlackMagic Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Cubase LE AI Elements 6, Adobe Elements

Phone: Pixel 4

Play GTA5 and turn up the graphics until your GPU is over 99% load at all times. Play for several hours.

Or as suggested you can run folding programs which will peg both CPU and GPU for as long as you let it run.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Totally viable. 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

Oc'ing won't increase heat but raising voltage/power draw will. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Totally viable. 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

Oc'ing won't increase heat but raising voltage/power draw will. 

A Heater create way more Heat than a PC ever could in the same time.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO