Samsung to Note 7 owners: Here's an extra $100 for your phone

captain_to_fire
6 hours ago, MilkJugg24 said:

Trading in a Note 7 for an iPhone 7... now you're just being retarded.

Careful. You might trigger an iSheep.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

"thanks for being apart of the Note 7 Experiment"

xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Note 7 becoming a banned product from all US flights to, from and within the country sounds like a very nice way of saying:

Get that motherf****** thing on the Samsung dumpster already, or we are remote disabling your stuff fam!

Groomlake Authority

27 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

-snip-

isheep__by_theintenseplayer-d4xm6d8.png

I can officially say im not an ISheep, but i do want an Iphone 7 Jet Black Plus glorious beast. Kudos for Google nonetheless, for the Pixel/Pixel XL and for sadness for Nokia apparently being a jerk when it comes to smartphones, Blackberry officially not caring about smartphones anymore and honestly all other manufacturers are pure "meh or blarg" in the smartphone world.

Groomlake Authority

In Canada this isn't a very good deal. Samsung very recently just increased the price of the S7 edge from $850 to $1000 Canadian dollars. So even with the additional $100 off it's still $900 which is more expensive than before they increased the price before offering this extra credit. I would take the refund and buy something else. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

20 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Careful. You might trigger an iSheep.

Bring it. Every feature the Note 7/S7 Edge has, the iPhone has it, but strictly worse.

I really took a hard gander at the iPhone 7S to replace my Note 7... and it's garbage.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

Bring it. Every feature the Note 7/S7 Edge has, the iPhone has it, but strictly worse.

I really took a hard gander at the iPhone 7S to replace my Note 7... and it's garbage.

How is it garbage exactly? The iPhone 7 is faster, has dual camera, stereo speakers. The Galaxy/s has a slightly better screen/camera (in some scenarios), better battery life, and microSD.

The two phones are basically the same except one runs iOS and the other Android. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The Galaxy/s has a slightly better screen/camera (in some scenarios), better battery life, and microSD.

S7 Edge Advantages:

Better screen + no bezel 1440p AMOLED vs 1080p IPS

Better camera (better nighttime scenes and HDR)

Better mic (iPhone's sounds washed out)

Better battery life (+700mAh)

Better price $799 vs $969

Expandable storage (nuff said)

Video Stabilization 

More RAM (+1GB)

8-core CPU (not really that amazing, but still better for certain tasks)

3.5mm Headphone jack (why did they think it was a good idea to remove that, i don't even.)

iPhone 7 Plus advantages:

Full aluminum (unless you get the Jet Black version)

Slightly thinner 

Quad vs. Single LED flash (i guess it helps)

2 more megapixels for your selfies (oh boy)

Better stereo speakers for when you don't have a bowl to put it in

A more stable and secure OS (Probably the only real advantage this phone has)

So no, they're not basically the same phone.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

S7 Edge Advantages:

Video Stabilization 

More RAM (+1GB)

3.5mm Headphone jack (why did they think it was a good idea to remove that, i don't even.)

Slightly thinner 

1. Each of the screens have their own advantages and anything over 1080p is irrelevant on such a small screen. 
  2. And the iPhone 7+ has dual cameras and is better under certain scenarios. 
  3. I have a few friends who have an s7 edge and the 6s/7 and I can't tell them apart in terms of mic quality. 
  4. You can't compare mah directly. iOS is a bit more efficient. The iPhone has better battery life than an Android phone without that +700 mah. 
  5. So you're comparing the 32gb S7 Edge to the 256gb 7+ Mkay. A 256gb Micro SD card is quite expensive (Samsung's 256gb Evo Micro SD is $250 for example...so the S7 Edge is actually more expensive, but nice try). The 32gb 7+ is $770. 
  6. Irrelevant to some/many when there are 128/256gb options. 
  7. +1 for the S7 Edge
  8. Irrelevant when comparing iOS to Android since iOS handles memory far more efficiently. 
  9. Again, irrelevant (not to mention the fact that the A10 beats the 8890 in both single threaded and multi threaded benchmarks)
  10. And irrelevant to most people. Using an adapter isn't an issue for 99% of users since most users have just one pair of headphones that they use with their phones. And the vast majority of people don't need to charge and listen to music simaltenously. 

1. The Jetblack is still full aluminum. Sure it scratches easily, but scratching > breaking. 
  2. MP don't mean much. Quality is far more important. 

So yes, they are basically the same phone. They each have their own advantages and both are equally good. The better of the two is entirely dependent on personal needs and preferences. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Kinda glad I didn't upgrade from my Note 5. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

42 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

S7 Edge Advantages:

So basically a tie since both are just fine.

That is something I could appreciate.

Both have small batteries for their respective size.

But does the Samsung have 128GB INTERNAL storage?

Video Stabilization 

More RAM (+1GB)

Android needs extra RAM and FYI the 7 Plus has 3GB RAM.

This is an understatement. It's quite awesome.

Samsung is planning to remove this as well.

I really couldn't give a shit.

Slightly thinner 

This is a disadvantage for me............... not an advantage

This is kinda important.

Just no............

I actually care how audio sounds so I'll just use headphones.

This is a disadvantage since you need to use iTunes with it.

Of course not..... Anybody who thought to the contrary was very much mistaken.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 10/13/2016 at 5:42 PM, dexxterlab97 said:

Hi have you been in a cave recently?

Samsung washing machine explodes.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes.

all within a month

On 10/13/2016 at 6:10 PM, dexxterlab97 said:

haha 

still waiting for my Samsung RAM to explode.

Hopefully not. Otherwise this means that 45.1% of all electronic devices containing RAM are prone to explosion.

(Samsung's RAM market share is actually closer to 50% now, but still.)

On 10/14/2016 at 2:05 AM, manikyath said:

1) It's not about who makes it, it's that they are okay with putting their name on it, and dont give a damn if they go koolaid trough the wall.

2) A brand name is important to keep worthy, if they dont care, i honestly dont want to touch anything under said name.

1) It ABSOLUTELY is about who makes it - it doesn't matter whose name is on it in the end if something is manufactured poorly. Think about it - if Apple suddenly switched manufacturing of their iPhone's or iPad's away from ASUS/Pegatron to a lower-quality manufacturer that results in problems for end consumers, everyone involved in the process is going to be affected.

2) This I can agree on - brand names are inherently worth more than any product they represent.

1 hour ago, MilkJugg24 said:

S7 Edge Advantages:

Slightly thinner

These things aren't really advantages...

- All screens have bezels. (Screens without bezels would not work in their current form.)

- Battery life still doesn't last a week, and we're 10 years into the modern smartphone.

- Thicker phones are easier to hold on to, and allow for larger battery capacity, which would help the above point.

- Speakers on mobile devices, such as laptops, phones, and tablets, still lack any depth in their mids and have virtually no bass.

Otherwise all your other points about the advantages of each phone hold true.

I love Apple's iOS for its' stability and updates, but favor Android for its' openness and default app customization. (I own both types of devices.)

As of right now, I'd like Apple Sony to put the same dual camera setup into other phones. The dual lens setup in the 7 Plus is amazing.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:
  1. Each of the screens have their own advantages and anything over 1080p is irrelevant on such a small screen. 
  2. And the iPhone 7+ has dual cameras and is better under certain scenarios. 
  3. I have a few friends who have an s7 edge and the 6s/7 and I can't tell them apart in terms of mic quality. 
  4. You can't compare mah directly. iOS is a bit more efficient. The iPhone has better battery life than an Android phone without that +700 mah. 
  5. So you're comparing the 32gb S7 Edge to the 256gb 7+ Mkay. A 256gb Micro SD card is quite expensive (Samsung's 256gb Evo Micro SD is $250 for example...so the S7 Edge is actually more expensive, but nice try). The 32gb 7+ is $770. 
  6. Irrelevant to some/many when there are 128/256gb options. 
  7. +1 for the S7 Edge
  8. Irrelevant when comparing iOS to Android since iOS handles memory far more efficiently. 
  9. Again, irrelevant (not to mention the fact that the A10 beats the 8890 in both single threaded and multi threaded benchmarks)
  10. And irrelevant to most people. Using an adapter isn't an issue for 99% of users since most users have just one pair of headphones that they use with their phones. And the vast majority of people don't need to charge and listen to music simaltenously. 

1. The Jetblack is still full aluminum. Sure it scratches easily, but scratching > breaking. 
  2. MP don't mean much. Quality is far more important. 

So yes, they are basically the same phone. They each have their own advantages and both are equally good. The better of the two is entirely dependent on personal needs and preferences. 

1. You're probably right, but the edged screen makes the phone look like eye candy. I don't even use the edge panels, the screen flowing off the end is the best part.

2. Very specific scenarios, but overall a disappointment considering that was the #1 feature of the whole new phone.

3. Watch a few youtube videos, audio recording during videos is really different.

4. I agree, but the fact that it has 20% more raw battery power is the point. Especially when you go into super power saving modes.

5. At least expandable storage goes on sale.

6. Good for them

7. Less eye cancer when watching some dudes walking vlogs.

8. The OS might handle it better, but developers making programs sure as hell won't.

9. Agree, the CPU in the iPhone is kind of awesome.

10. You're gonna trigger audio fanatics.

1a.) meh. doesn't really matter in the end for either phone i guess.

1.b) Definitely higher quality, but the real-world improvement is again, kind of disappointing since it was the selling point of the phone.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

1. You're probably right, but the edged screen makes the phone look like eye candy. I don't even use the edge panels, the screen flowing off the end is the best part.

2. Very specific scenarios, but overall a disappointment considering that was the #1 feature of the whole new phone.

3. Watch a few youtube videos, audio recording during videos is really different.

4. I agree, but the fact that it has 20% more raw battery power is the point. Especially when you go into super power saving modes.

5. At least expandable storage goes on sale.

6. Good for them

7. Less eye cancer when watching some dudes walking vlogs.

8. The OS might handle it better, but developers making programs sure as hell won't.

9. Agree, the CPU in the iPhone is kind of awesome.

10. You're gonna trigger audio fanatics.

1a.) meh. doesn't really matter in the end for either phone i guess.

1.b) Definitely higher quality, but the real-world improvement is again, kind of disappointing since it was the selling point of the phone.

The RAM difference between iPhones and high end Android phones has not been a problem for the last eight years. Why would it suddenly become one now?

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

The RAM difference between iPhones and high end Android phones has not been a problem for the last eight years. Why would it suddenly become one now?

I mean, the more RAM the better.

It's not like it's a precious resource.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MilkJugg24 said:

In theory, sure, but it's not needed. iOS manages memory a lot better than Android so it produces a very smooth experience on less RAM. Apple could spend a tiny amount more per phone to have extra RAM, but that would mildly dent their profit margins and there is really no advantage to it right now. The Android OS requires the extra RAM to operate smoothly so it's not like developers have a lot more to work with, even if they were designing apps exclusively for high-end Android devices.

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

1) It ABSOLUTELY is about who makes it - it doesn't matter whose name is on it in the end if something is manufactured poorly. Think about it - if Apple suddenly switched manufacturing of their iPhone's or iPad's away from ASUS/Pegatron to a lower-quality manufacturer that results in problems for end consumers, everyone involved in the process is going to be affected.

i think you misunderstood.

what i meant is in the end it doesnt matter who makes the guts of your apple devices, as long as they are of sufficient quality to not... you know.. catch fire or explode :P.

and if a company sticks their name on something that is made cheaply in a way that is potentially dangerous (like the plastic bracket in the washing machines) and sees nothing wrong in doing so, i feel that company has lost the aspiration for quality i'm looking for.

in another example, i used to be a huge fan of kingston usb sticks, "back in the day" they were much better that others, even if only in manufacturing quality. but as things changed kingston became the expensive 'eh' brand, and after a few straight up bad SD cards (seriously, an SD card shouldnt corrupt randomly) and the v300 SSDnow mess i honestly lost my trust in the company. i know they make lots of good products, but some of the products they gladly put their brand on have seriously disappointed me so i looked elsewhere, and now sandisk is my brand of choice. (gonna give adata SD cards a spin soon, and maybe samsung if i can find one that's not an arm and a leg...)

4 hours ago, MilkJugg24 said:

It adds cost to the device and reduces already slim margins on OEMs.

Id take the $100 and drop down to the S7 Edge. Too used to Samsung phones to be able to go elsewhere and I dont fancy owning a 5th iPhone.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

If Samsung really wants all the phones back just release an update where every time you unlock the screen a message pops up saying the phone has been recalled and should be returned to a participating location or contact Samsung for one of those fireproof boxes.

I guess they should have a "Don't show this message again" checkbox for the stubborn people who want to keep the phone regardless.

5 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

If Samsung really wants all the phones back just release an update where every time you unlock the screen a message pops up saying the phone has been recalled and should be returned to a participating location or contact Samsung for one of those fireproof boxes.

I guess they should have a "Don't show this message again" checkbox for the stubborn people who want to keep the phone regardless.

Someone might make a few bucks by developing an explosion resistant case that will prevent a Death Note 7 from damaging or injuring things,but still allow use of the phone. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…