What to get for the holidays? For myself

Johnmakuta

I am debating on a few different things to get for myself this upcoming holiday and I have narrowed it down to:

• PS4 Pro
  • PSVR
  • Xbox One S

I originally was planning on getting PSVR because I really don't want to spend $800 and then have no games to play (we need to have a talk HTC) but after testing it out the resolution really bothered me and I know in a year or so 4K+ headsets will be rolling out. I wanted to get an Xbox One S because I have a 4K TV (not HDR) and the only players I have connected are my PS4, Xbox 360 Slim, and PS3 slim. I was really excited! Especially for 4K blue ray (Deadpool!!!)! I also like the game streaming feature, the HDMI in, and the beautiful elite controller! But as I looked around, i realized there were practically no games that I couldn't either get on PC (if a PC version exists that's the one I get) or on PS4. The only ones were ReCore and Halo 5 (already have up to 4 on the 360!). And scalebound is going to launch with the Scorpio which is what I was waiting for anyway. Then at long last I thought of the PS4 Pro which I completely dismissed as most of the games optimized for it won't come out till next year. Plus I have a PS4. But the big thing that is tugging at the back of my mind is that the main game I wanted to play on the PS4 is FFXV which is optimized.

I am currently leaning towards the PS4 Pro or PSVR but please tell me what you think.

Get none of the things you listed and get an Oculus/Vive in the furture whenyou have enough money.

If it has to be one of the things you listed and you already have a nice gaming PC (which is more than likely more powerful than the PS4 Pro and has better VR available for it), then I recommend you buy the Xbox just for the 4k Bluray, which is still a waste of money just to watch ONE movie and play TWO games.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Maybe don't waste money on consoles and build a PC?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Maybe don't waste money on consoles and build a PC?

Already have a water-cooled system, 32 GBS of DDR4, 5820K, GTX 1070 Strix

31 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

Get none of the things you listed and get an Oculus/Vive in the furture whenyou have enough money.

If it has to be one of the things you listed and you already have a nice gaming PC (which is more than likely more powerful than the PS4 Pro and has better VR available for it), then I recommend you buy the Xbox just for the 4k Bluray, which is still a waste of money just to watch ONE movie and play TWO games.

I demoed some PSVR games and they were amazing. Rigs was my favorite with Eve a close second. Plus I wear glasses and PSVR is eery glasses friendly. It is true that HTC vive is way better but all the games coming out are demos and a the good games seem to only show up on oculus. Even with oculus games running on Vive it's not great. The only headset I'd really be interested in is the Vive but I'd like to have money for games afterword instead of just making my own in Unity or something

4 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

Already have a water-cooled system, 32 GBS of DDR4, 5820K, GTX 1070 Strix

Well then why do you want consoles???

Get an HTPC instead, or a better audio system, or a 4k bluray player, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well then why do you want consoles???

Get an HTPC instead, or a better audio system, or a 4k bluray player, etc...

Currently HTPC 4K bluray support is practically non-existent. I'd like to get a VR headset but they are twice as much and my monitor is a basic 1440p so I was going ton also get a new monitor with gsync and a high refresh rate. Is a VR headset really worth it?

2 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

Currently HTPC 4K bluray support is practically non-existent. I'd like to get a VR headset but they are twice as much and my monitor is a basic 1440p so I was going ton also get a new monitor with gsync and a high refresh rate. Is a VR headset really worth it?

I don't think VR is worth it at all at this point.

Spoiler

save yourself 400$ , get a pizza

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

10 hours ago, Johnmakuta said:

I demoed some PSVR games and they were amazing. Rigs was my favorite with Eve a close second. Plus I wear glasses and PSVR is eery glasses friendly. It is true that HTC vive is way better but all the games coming out are demos and a the good games seem to only show up on oculus. Even with oculus games running on Vive it's not great. The only headset I'd really be interested in is the Vive but I'd like to have money for games afterword instead of just making my own in Unity or something

I also wear glasses and have used the vive and oculus. I agree the vive for me is not to friendly with glasses, it does work but it can be blurry. But the oculus worked great with glasses and was smooth and I liked the controlers more than the vives. But oculus lacks games so you are kinda screwed there.  Fyi try the psvr before you buy. Just because they say they are glasses friendly doesnt mean they are for you.

On 10/13/2016 at 0:09 PM, rockon5622 said:

I also wear glasses and have used the vive and oculus. I agree the vive for me is not to friendly with glasses, it does work but it can be blurry. But the oculus worked great with glasses and was smooth and I liked the controlers more than the vives. But oculus lacks games so you are kinda screwed there.  Fyi try the psvr before you buy. Just because they say they are glasses friendly doesnt mean they are for you.

I did try the PSVR, should be trying the oculus today. I'll check back in with what I thought