Windows 10 performing poorly with powerful hardware.

I'm going to follow the rules here:

• Describe the problem you are having in detail but without rambling. If your post is as long as this one, it's too long.
    I'm not quite sure how to describe my issue, so I'm going to show it. Here's a link.
  • Include your operating system including version and 32/64 bit.
    I've got Windows 10 Pro 64bit, rest of the specs are on my page (i7-4790k, GTX 1080, 16GB of RAM and SSD, 550W Power supply)

• Include your entire system specs, including the wattage of your PSU.
    Above
  • Tell us which BIOS version you have. Some problems can be fixed by updating to the latest BIOS, so check that there are no updates available
    Got the latest Bios version.
  • Include any software running when it crashes (if applicable)
    No crashes.
  • Give full details of any error messages and screenshots if possible
    Don't have any specific error logs, here are my drivers and dxdiag if needed.

drivers.txt

dxdiag.txt

no idea what to put here

What type of SSD and what capacity is it?

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

Just now, Sreno1 said:

What type of SSD and what capacity is it?

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

no idea what to put here

this has to be CPU related, please screenshot task manager to see processes running when it happens

Edit: its possible your Anitivus causing it, disable it entire and see if it still shows up.

Either a broken windows installation or a hardware problem with the SSD or the CPU and/or RAM.

Do a benchmark on the SSD to see if it reachers it advertised speeds (Crystaldisk for example)

Stresstest the CPU and if the system stays stable for 15~min try Cinebench afterwards and see if you get approximately the same score as other people with your CPU do.

Do a RAM test, if you just want a fast one, run the windows diagnostics one at least 2-3 times if you want a proper one use memtest64.

If all of these come back w/o issues the windows installation will most likely be broken which you can only really figure out by reformating.

There is the option to cmd command "sfc /scannow" to fix potentional issues, but even then you will probably be faster with reformating.

(On your video you show that the properies window basically just does not render itself, when you try to close or move it - do you get "explorer.exe does not respond" error or simular? or can you close & move it like you please? Because if its the second option it probably is your GPU not rendering, in which case I'd also run a GPU stresstest aswell as 3DMark to compare scores)

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

On 11.10.2016 at 7:18 PM, Nord said:

Edit: its possible your Anitivus causing it, disable it entire and see if it still shows up.

Either a broken windows installation or a hardware problem with the SSD or the CPU and/or RAM.

Do a benchmark on the SSD to see if it reachers it advertised speeds (Crystaldisk for example)

Stresstest the CPU and if the system stays stable for 15~min try Cinebench afterwards and see if you get approximately the same score as other people with your CPU do.

Do a RAM test, if you just want a fast one, run the windows diagnostics one at least 2-3 times if you want a proper one use memtest64.

If all of these come back w/o issues the windows installation will most likely be broken which you can only really figure out by reformating.

There is the option to cmd command "sfc /scannow" to fix potentional issues, but even then you will probably be faster with reformating.

(On your video you show that the properies window basically just does not render itself, when you try to close or move it - do you get "explorer.exe does not respond" error or simular? or can you close & move it like you please? Because if its the second option it probably is your GPU not rendering, in which case I'd also run a GPU stresstest aswell as 3DMark to compare scores)

Sorry for a late reply, I was doing quite a few fresh installs. I'll try your guide tomorrow and reply.
And yes, I can move it around as I please.

no idea what to put here

On 11.10.2016 at 6:02 PM, belfouf said:

this has to be CPU related, please screenshot task manager to see processes running when it happens

I've checked and CPU usage is normal, under 15% when that happens.

no idea what to put here

check the windows service defrags and suck they can kill performance

IM BACK BABY

13 hours ago, Eeglis said:

I've checked and CPU usage is normal, under 15% when that happens.

it doesn't mean anything, what are your :

RAM modules (exact reference please)

RAM slots 

motherboard exact reference

BIOS options (energy saving/turbo core / xmp/ overclocking/ voltages)

Something simple you can try to check the overall health of your system, open command prompt as admin and run

SFC /SCANNOW

Once that's finished, run

DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH

The first one makes sure there are no corrupt system files and the second checks for component store corruption. Neither of these scans take very long so it's just a quick step.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

On 11.10.2016 at 7:18 PM, Nord said:

I just checked my RAM, no errors occured, ran the test with memtest86, scannow found nothing got 863cb with CPU, which is as much as this CPU should be getting, got 149.65fps in openGL, Firestrike shown in attachment. I'll try it whitout Samsung's RAPID mode. Something that is extremely weird though is my Cinebench. It detects my Windows 10 as Windows 8, which is beyond me why is it detecting it? I downloaded media installation tool from Microsft's site, did the install and, now I'm just confused. I'm going to try to roll back to pre anniversary update, since everything seemed to work back then.

Firestrike score.png

Cinebench.png

no idea what to put here

5 hours ago, belfouf said:

it doesn't mean anything, what are your :

RAM modules (exact reference please)

RAM slots 

motherboard exact reference

BIOS options (energy saving/turbo core / xmp/ overclocking/ voltages)

Here's my RAM:http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3B1K2_8GX.pdf
All 4 slots are filled with those.
My motherboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/
Bios is currently on default except I got XMP for RAM and got ROG effects off of the motherboard, which are distracting. Clocks and rest are on auto, because I was suspecting the fault to be in mobo.

no idea what to put here

10 minutes ago, Eeglis said:

Here's my RAM:http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3B1K2_8GX.pdf
All 4 slots are filled with those.
My motherboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/
Bios is currently on default except I got XMP for RAM and got ROG effects off of the motherboard, which are distracting. Clocks and rest are on auto, because I was suspecting the fault to be in mobo.

RAM is not listed as tested and compliant with your MTB, have you tried to remove XMP and put manually XMP valors ? (Put manually 1600hz with timing of 11-11-11 at 1.5V)

also it is strange that your issue does not affect gaming that much. I think it does though, you should have more points at 3dmark don't you ? I have same score with i5 6600k + 980ti

5 minutes ago, belfouf said:

RAM is not listed as tested and compliant with your MTB, have you tried to remove XMP and put manually XMP valors ? (Put manually 1600hz with timing of 11-11-11 at 1.5V)

Ehm, where exactly you got that info from?

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3200(O.C.)/3100(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *
Dual Channel Memory Architecture

Though en and disabling XMP is probably worth a try either way.

@Eeglis

Your bench scores are on pair and since memtest found no errors either, I would definately say the problem is with windows itself.

I'd probably still test the drives (unless you did that and I just missed it) and try the XMP suggestion from Belfouf since both of that is done extremly fast but if neither help, as allready said, I'd really look into windows for the cause of the issue.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

2 minutes ago, Nord said:

Ehm, where exactly you got that info from?

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3200(O.C.)/3100(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *
Dual Channel Memory Architecture

Though en and disabling XMP is probably worth a try either way.

@Eeglis

Your bench scores are on pair and since memtest found no errors either, I would definately say the problem is with windows itself.

I'd probably still test the drives (unless you did that and I just missed it) and try the XMP suggestion from Belfouf since both of that is done extremly fast but if neither help, as allready said, I'd really look into windows for the cause of the issue.

got it from the link you sent me

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3B1K2_8GX.pdf

it should be written on your ram packaging anyway

11 minutes ago, belfouf said:

got it from the link you sent me

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3B1K2_8GX.pdf

it should be written on your ram packaging anyway

I'm not the OP, so I didnt send you anything - Eeglis did :P

I looked at the RAM .pdf sheet he provided, it doesnt say anything about being neither tested nor not compatible with his motherboard.

At the bottom you got this:
"Kingston products are tested to meet our published specifications. Some motherboards or system configurations may not operate atthe published HyperX memory speeds and timing settings. Kingston does not recommend that any user attempt to run their computersfaster than the published speed. Overclocking or modifying your system timing may result in damage to computer components."

but thats "we dont want to get sued" mambo-jambo.

and like even if they would be listed as non compatible, the RAM would not just make a windows window freeze but work fine in Memtest64, rendering and Firestrike - but yea, like I allready said fiddling a bit with that stupid XMP crap cant hurt either way. I know I most certainly had to do it.

1 minute ago, Nord said:

I looked at the RAM .pdf sheet he provided, it doesnt say anything about being neither tested nor not compatible with his motherboard.

"Kingston products are tested to meet our published specifications. Some motherboards or system configurations may not operate atthe published HyperX memory speeds and timing settings. Kingston does not recommend that any user attempt to run their computersfaster than the published speed. Overclocking or modifying your system timing may result in damage to computer components."

and like even if they would be listed as non compatible, the RAM would not just make a windows window freeze but work fine in Memtest64, rendering and Firestrike - but yea, like I allready said fiddling a bit with that stupid XMP crap cant hurt either way. I know I most certainly had to do it.

I'll try manually putting the RAM values. As with windows I've done couple of fresh installs and the issue persisted. So I'll do a frsh install pre Anniversary update.

no idea what to put here

3 minutes ago, Nord said:

dude on each motherboard there are tested RAM you can buy (it's the 7th time I tell it today on LTT, Does No one knows ????????) , his is not

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_QVL/

download  MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER_MEMORY_QVL  for testified working RAMS compatible with motherboard.

XMP loads certified RAMS config, and because it's not in the list..... don't use it

2 minutes ago, belfouf said:

dude on each motherboard there are tested RAM you can buy (it's the 7th time I tell it today on LTT, Does No one knows ????????) , his is not

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_QVL/

download  MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER_MEMORY_QVL  for testified working RAMS compatible with motherboard.

XMP loads certified RAMS config, and because it's not in the list..... don't use it

Dang, thanks for explaining. I never knew that.

no idea what to put here

4 minutes ago, Nord said:

well I do the same score as him with a i5 6600K and a GTX 980 ti so yes maybe he'd have a better score with good ram, his combined score isn't that good

1 minute ago, belfouf said:

well I do the same score as him with a i5 6600K and a GTX 980 ti so yes maybe he'd have a better score with good ram, his combined score isn't that good

What kind of RAM you've got?

no idea what to put here

1 minute ago, Eeglis said:

Dang, thanks for explaining. I never knew that.

you're very welcome, maybe XMP isn't the guilty, but it's a bad choice anyway. Even I who bought RAM who were on the list of my MTB don't use XMP (don't know why but it overclocked a bit my RAM voltages and caused instability)

3 minutes ago, belfouf said:

you're very welcome, maybe XMP isn't the guilty, but it's a bad choice anyway. Even I who bought RAM who were on the list of my MTB don't use XMP (don't know why but it overclocked a bit my RAM voltages and caused instability)

I just manually set it to 1600 Mhz, I'll test it out.

no idea what to put here

3 minutes ago, Eeglis said:

What kind of RAM you've got?

well, good one since skylake, G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 (my rig/3DM score are on my profile)

Just now, Eeglis said:

I just manually set it to 1600 Mhz, I'll test it out.

don't forget timings and voltages