Will 240 Hz Monitors make any difference for gaming?

honna1612

1) Yes more Hz are translatable to a more fluid experience

2) No the eye wont see any difference between 144 and 240 hz

3) Human eyes cant see past 30 fps anyway so it wont make any difference

Does more fps and Hz=a better experience? Yes but how big of a difference it makes depends on the genre of game

Your eyes may not see past 30fps but what it can notice is lower input/frame lag and how it looks more fluid as it's like FPS and refresh rates, a GPU won't always produce a new frame when the display refreshes but more fps=a newer frame is able to displayed and this is the same with our eyes, when the monitor is refreshing at a higher rate, even if our eyes only see 30fps, we get to see a newer frame displayed resulting in it feeling more smooth .

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

240hz will make a great difference in minesweeper over 144hz, but honestly -I THINK-  it might if you are a pro player, or just a realy competative player but for the general person there will be no real difference, atleast not at the same scale as 60 to 144

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

54 minutes ago, honna1612 said:

1) Yes more Hz are translatable to a more fluid experience

2) No the eye wont see any difference between 144 and 240 hz

3) Human eyes cant see past 30 fps anyway so it wont make any difference

38 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Does more fps and Hz=a better experience? Yes but how big of a difference it makes depends on the genre of game

Your eyes may not see past 30fps but what it can notice is lower input/frame lag and how it looks more fluid as it's like FPS and refresh rates, a GPU won't always produce a new frame when the display refreshes but more fps=a newer frame is able to displayed and this is the same with our eyes, when the monitor is refreshing at a higher rate, even if our eyes only see 30fps, we get to see a newer frame displayed resulting in it feeling more smooth .

But... The eyes don't have a fucking frame shutter. And if they did they sure as hell wouldn't be limited to 30fps.

Yes it matters, but will it come with the tradeoff of color accuracy? If so, does that matter to you?

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Yes it matters, but will it come with the tradeoff of color accuracy? If so, does that matter to you?

Well you can get a IPS 144hz monitor (I'm actually pretty sure some of the higher refresh rate monitors that are 144hz+ are IPS as well) so tradeoff of colour accuracy is somewhat true but unless you're doing video editing or something that needs 100% colour accuracy then it's good enough no?

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

But... The eyes don't have a fucking frame shutter. And if they did they sure as hell wouldn't be limited to 30fps.

True but you know...I'm just explaining why a higher refresh rate monitor and higher fps is better even if our eyes can't see past a certain amount of frames a second :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well you can get a IPS 144hz monitor (I'm actually pretty sure some of the higher refresh rate monitors that are 144hz+ are IPS as well) so tradeoff of colour accuracy is somewhat true but unless you're doing video editing or something that needs 100% colour accuracy then it's good enough no?

True but you know...I'm just explaining why a higher refresh rate monitor and higher fps is better even if our eyes can't see past a certain amount of frames a second :P 

But we fucking can :( 

And yeah, but there aren't 240Hz IPS, are there? Those 144Hz ones are awesome though.

31 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

For most people, I don't even think 144Hz makes a difference over 60Hz to their game.

Thats not true at all. There are gazillions of youtube videos proving otherwise. Even older people who only use office can instantly tell the difference.

If you ask them is this 144Hz they cant answer but show 60 fps material besides 144 fps and you clearly see a HUGE difference. The question was if it is also notable for 144 vs 240 hz.

4 minutes ago, honna1612 said:

Thats not true at all. There are gazillions of youtube videos proving otherwise. Even older people who only use office can instantly tell the difference.

If you ask them is this 144Hz they cant answer but show 60 fps material besides 144 fps and you clearly see a HUGE difference. The question was if it is also notable for 144 vs 240 hz.

There's a difference between "I can see a difference" and "omg my kd ratio when up 200%"

You can give a squid a Kawasaki H2R and he'll certainly feel the difference over say his 600 GXSR, but that doesn't make a squid less of a squid.

The question was " Will 240 Hz Monitors make any difference for gaming? "

and not "does 240Hz bring my KD ration up 200%?"