Pictures folder merged with D drive

Jake0210

So I was trying to move my main files like downloads to my hdd instead of my boot ssd. When I moved my pictures folder it merged with my hard drive! The pictures folder now has a name of D:/ and my hard drive has the pictures folder icon. For one, I'm wondering if this is going to cause any problems. And two, how do I fix this?!!when I attempt to relocate the pictures folder it says it failed to build a list of directories under D:/System Volume Information access is denied. My OS is Windows 10 64 bit.

"Friendship is two pals munching on a well-cooked face together"

This is how you properly move directories to a different drive:

Image result for windows 10 settings save locations

Idk what the heck you did, but it sounds like you've seriously screwed up...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Someone else had this problem earlier. The problem is when you change the path of these folders, Windows wants to move everything rather than copy it with no way to skip things that won't move. You have two options as far as I know:

1. Do what's described here https://scottiestech.info/2014/11/11/repair-missing-user-folders-in-windows-7/, starting from "Reset the Registry User Folder Settings"
  2. Make a new account, migrate your data over (also copy %APPDATA% from the old account to the new one), delete the old one.

6 minutes ago, Jake0210 said:

So I was trying to move my main files like downloads to my hdd instead of my boot ssd. When I moved my pictures folder it merged with my hard drive! The pictures folder now has a name of D:/ and my hard drive has the pictures folder icon. For one, I'm wondering if this is going to cause any problems. And two, how do I fix this?!!when I attempt to relocate the pictures folder it says it failed to build a list of directories under D:/System Volume Information access is denied. My OS is Windows 10 64 bit.

I don't know how you did this, nor how to fix the icon problem, but I have a guide on how to set up SSD HDD combos with Windows 10 here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/629590-windows-10-wont-reset/#comment-8131454

Could you attach an image of the drive icon?

I edit my posts a lot.

The icon is probably defined in a file called desktop.ini , Windows reads those files and applies settings to folders as those files instruct.  So if you had a desktop.ini in my pictures folder saying "make the icon of this folder this one" then Windows blindly sets the icon. For simplicity, the root of a hard drive is considered a folder as well.

If you delete that file from root of D: drive and restart Windows Explorer (by log off / log on or restart) you should see the normal icon .. the icons may otherwise be cached and won't change until you force Windows Explorer to read them again.

System Volume Information is normally hidden from regular users, it's a special folder used by the operating system and the file system for some useful functions - it may be empty if those options are not enabled but nevertheless Windows won't let you mess with it.